Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey Business

Default Monkey Business

Ok, WT this is a thread that I want to keep going. The point of this is you ask a question and I answer, unless Gabe or Mike beat me to it, in which case I'll toss in my two cents. This is not WT asks 36 other WTers answer, but rather a place where the community can get simple (as possible) answers from SI HQ for tech questions, especially those of you out there working shifts, who aren't necessarily available when we are at HQ. This is not a place to ask where orders are in the process or if something is in stock, stick to email for that stuff.

This threads intent is more of a Q/A for the folks with "how hard is it to...", "how do i...", "whats the difference between... " kind of questions. The questions don't have to pertain to SI products, as there are a lot of platforms out there that we do not do work on, for example bolt guns, for one, and others that I maintain a lot of knowledge on. If repeat questions are asked, you will be directed to a page number on the thread. I want to try to keep this thread as straightforward as possible.

Fire for effect
    monkey-banana.jpg

ETA: I will be monitoring and deleting posts that bunny trail the purpose of this thread, so if yours vanishes consider the content and decide if it's worth a new thread - Greg Nichols
    Last edited by Greg Nichols; 06-12-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

There was some talk by Greg and Gabe that the Stakeout might benefit from an RMR. I see the RMR mounting plate as an option for the Patrol but not for the Stakeout. Any movement on this or has it been ruled out.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

OK I'll start I wanna build a short bolt gun (NOT SBR) in 7mm08 and I also want to add a suppressor that uses a muzzle break as a OD attachment. Its a Remington 700 and has a sporter weight barrel which Id like to use. My ranges will likely be limited to 200-300m. Soooo how short can I go and still keep the cartridge useful? Is 16" with a permanently mounted break too short? Is 16" + the break better? Should I go 18" with the break OR 18" PLUS the break?

The idea is to have it as short as functionally (useable) possible for the East coast woods and inside blinds. Game will likely be Whitetail, Black Bear, Wild Boar using mostly factory ammo.

Please delete IF this isn't the kind of questions you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    There was some talk by Greg and Gabe that the Stakeout might benefit from an RMR. I see the RMR mounting plate as an option for the Patrol but not for the Stakeout. Any movement on this or has it been ruled out.
    It will work with a stakeout since the platform is the same. Unfortunately we do not yet have a way to mount them on receivers that will be time effective for us and customers, we are working on it though. I'm doing a couple the old fashioned hard way this week.
    Last edited by ShopMonkey; 06-12-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by EDELWEISS View Post
    OK I'll start I wanna build a short bolt gun (NOT SBR) in 7mm08 and I also want to add a suppressor that uses a muzzle break as a OD attachment. Its a Remington 700 and has a sporter weight barrel which Id like to use. My ranges will likely be limited to 200-300m. Soooo how short can I go and still keep the cartridge useful? Is 16" with a permanently mounted break too short? Is 16" + the break better? Should I go 18" with the break OR 18" PLUS the break?

The idea is to have it as short as functionally (useable) possible for the East coast woods and inside blinds. Game will likely be Whitetail, Black Bear, Wild Boar using mostly factory ammo.

Please delete IF this isn't the kind of questions you meant.
    For the intended use, 16" will be fine. 7mm-08 performs very similar to .308 loads so it's not a big deal either way. The big thing, however, is that I would be scrapping that barrel if it's factory. I used to have access to a ballistic calculator that would take into effect barrel length that i could use to give drop rates, i will have to see if i can dig it up, but most data you find in any online calculator is taken from major ammo manufacturers who utilize 24" barrels for test purposes. Parent data for a 7mm-08 also uses a 1:9.5 twist, i would slow it down to 1:10 to decrease drag in the shorter barrel, which will in turn increase velocity. Whatever ammo you're using whether it be factory or hand load will of course have an effect on this as well.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    SEMPER FI

Is it normal for Gang Unit sheaths to be incompatible between the actual knife and the trainer version? My set doesn't work one with the other. Not a dealbreaker, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by dayve View Post
    Is it normal for Gang Unit sheaths to be incompatible between the actual knife and the trainer version? My set doesn't work one with the other. Not a dealbreaker, just curious.
    Yes, it is normal. I have to take a heat gun to the sheaths for trainers because of the size and lack of an edge

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    SEMPER FI

Any plans for a new run of the 95% stainless slides?
    Warrior for the working day.

Es una cosa muy seria. --Robert Capa

"...I ride the range in a Ford V8...Yippy Yi Yo Ki Yay." --Johnny Mercer

"Can I move?...I'm better when I move."

1, 1, 10. And a wakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Any plans for a new run of the 95% stainless slides?
    Always plans... But when we plan for 100, and 80 are gone with up front deposit months before they are done, it makes general sales tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to have a F&S Patrol Grade trigger on my G43 to match my G19. The thing that's holding me up is the warning on the site about "some fitting of the safety tab may be required" and thinking about being without the 43 for a while if I send it to Suarez.

Roughly what percentage of the G43's require fitting? If it's better than 50%, I may take a chance that it will just drop in. Worst case, I'd have to send in my frame anyway so I'm only out postage on the trigger from AZ to GA.

Is it worth it?