Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nice! Ever watch "Forged in Fire" show on the History Channel???? "It will keell!"
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Yeah. We would take a break and watch it during lunch. The guy from Hawaii actually got his anvil from the place we go buy our coal and G10. Texas Farrier Supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopherloaf View Post
    So obviously my first attempt at making a knife was a bit rough. That apparently comes with the territory when forging metal instead of cutting the shapes out but meh. My second attempt I really like and my third and fourth are awaiting heat treating.

They look really good mate. Im a knifemaker/blacksmith/tinkererer amongst other things. More than 300 knives sold, none returned for anything other than to be re-profiled, sharpened, an extra name acid etched, knew sheath, holster or belt made for bits and pieces I've made (fully licenced in the countries, states, provinces, cantons and burroughs my kit is sold in)
    Knifemaking isnt my primary income source any longer but if you ever want any advicd on knife or sheathmaking, edge grinding, making jigs to put a bevel on a blank, picking which edge from hollow to V, single bevel, hybrid etc or advice on fine sheath/belt/belt sheath making, fell free to ask.

You seem to be doing pretty damn well on your own, I just thought id offer -
    If you keep at it, you won't regret it, and if you want me to make a couple of damascus steel knife blanks for you to make something from, just let me know size, style, tang length and whatnot and I'll happily send you one or two, no charge or anything, I just like your work and dedication so far and it's good to see another knifemaker getting into it.
    Nice to meet you,
    I'm Oisin by the way,
    Take care brother

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L02 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Oisin-Mngrl(Syd) View Post
    They look really good mate. Im a knifemaker/blacksmith/tinkererer amongst other things. More than 300 knives sold, none returned for anything other than to be re-profiled, sharpened, an extra name acid etched, knew sheath, holster or belt made for bits and pieces I've made (fully licenced in the countries, states, provinces, cantons and burroughs my kit is sold in)
    Knifemaking isnt my primary income source any longer but if you ever want any advicd on knife or sheathmaking, edge grinding, making jigs to put a bevel on a blank, picking which edge from hollow to V, single bevel, hybrid etc or advice on fine sheath/belt/belt sheath making, fell free to ask.

You seem to be doing pretty damn well on your own, I just thought id offer -
    If you keep at it, you won't regret it, and if you want me to make a couple of damascus steel knife blanks for you to make something from, just let me know size, style, tang length and whatnot and I'll happily send you one or two, no charge or anything, I just like your work and dedication so far and it's good to see another knifemaker getting into it.
    Nice to meet you,
    I'm Oisin by the way,
    Take care brother

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L02 using Tapatalk
    I appreciate it man.

Right now I'm trying to convince my buddy we need to make a jig. I *think* he wants to but he also likes doing it by hand which is great but, takes a bit longer and is inconsistent.

The only other thing I'm wanting to do is get a small kydex setup. Since we hammer forge, each knife is unique and would therefore, need a sheath just for it. He says leather, which I agree is good for some and we can both do really well.

It's a slow process. Fun either way. We both enjoy it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopherloaf View Post
    ...The only other thing I'm wanting to do is get a small kydex setup. Since we hammer forge, each knife is unique and would therefore, need a sheath just for it. He says leather, which I agree is good for some and we can both do really well....
    Leather is fine, its classic but it also shows all your flaws until you get really good. Kydex is MODERN and stupid simple.

I'm still pushing for a tomahawk

I think we might be able to do just the blade but his forge isn't big enough for a full metal one. I think.

Chris

Just a small tidbit, if these are intended for stabbing (ie fighting) you might want to consider adding a choil or at least a small guard of some sort. Just thinking out loud, if I'm going to use it to dispatch a critter of some sort I don't want my fingers going right into the wound and possibly hitting the blade. Regardless of how strong your grip is there is the chance of hitting bone or something else hard.

You have a small one on the two but it seems a bit shallow?
    A man can be right all the time. In which case he can do so, all by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedPelican View Post
    Just a small tidbit, if these are intended for stabbing (ie fighting) you might want to consider adding a choil or at least a small guard of some sort. Just thinking out loud, if I'm going to use it to dispatch a critter of some sort I don't want my fingers going right into the wound and possibly hitting the blade. Regardless of how strong your grip is there is the chance of hitting bone or something else hard.

You have a small one on the two but it seems a bit shallow?
    You are correct. It's something I noticed right after making that last little one.
    Chris

I too am glad to see you getting into the old crafts. I think you're progressing well on the blade work. I agree the kydex is simple, rugged, reliable. But for me it has no soul. I use it for some critical gear, but I'm going to continue trying to learn the art of leathercraft. I might just have to hit up the new guy here for some advice.
    Psalm 139:21,22
    Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
    I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

I used to enjoy leather working. I was quite good at it. I made this for a Sig P250 back in the day.

Chris