Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by res308 View Post
    I too am glad to see you getting into the old crafts. I think you're progressing well on the blade work. I agree the kydex is simple, rugged, reliable. But for me it has no soul. I use it for some critical gear, but I'm going to continue trying to learn the art of leathercraft. I might just have to hit up the new guy here for some advice.
    Nice work.

I too, used to forge a few knives, until my day job interfered with my fun job. Now I'm too old and worn out, but I still kinda know my stuff. kinda...sorta. I used to sometimes hand forge pattern welded steel and cable. Good cable is literally indestructible and my favorite material for a hard use knife, when I could get what I wanted.

I never used a jig to grind anything, and got good symmetric grinds. It just takes practice. and technique. Hold your elbows into your ribs and move your body to accurately grind bevels. This technique is a LOT more stable than just holding the blade in your hands with no support for your arms.

NO forged knife should ever touch plastic. It just ain't right. In all fairness, the sheath should provide protection and retention for the knife, depending on the knife and its intended use, though I do like leather when it is appropriate. The advantage of Kydex is it's easy to work and the knife can be stored in the plastic without tarnishing the blade or mounts.

As to a guard on any knife intended for self defense, a guard large enough to prevent your hand from sliding down and cutting the daylights out of your fingers or palm is essential. Even though a grip feels solid and non-slip, blood is slick as snot on a swamp and once someone's blood gets on the grip, you will NOT be able to grip a knife tight enough to to prevent your hand from sliding down the blade, once things get dicey.

Forgery, as my son used to call it, can be demanding, frustrating, and immensely rewarding. I found that taking an odd shaped piece of junk and making something useful and somewhat artistic or utilitarian from it was extremely rewarding. I even made muzzle loading gun parts from junk most people would have though was entirely useless, when the muse struck.

Keep banging away and find a bladesmiths forum to learn the tricks of the trade faster than you can learn by by trial and error. Again, I can help when questions arise, or when you get frustrated.

The ABS used to host bladesmithing seminars that were VERY informative. In those days students were not required to be a ABS member. I don't know what they are dong now, or the requirements, if any to attend.
    Last edited by POed; 10-10-2017 at 06:06 PM.