Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think you would be an outstanding instructor

Was pondering what to say. This could easily be 2 days of material.

I'm a multiple Cooper-graduate, been to Grossman's in-person stuff, been through Ayoob's class more than once. This class is a compliment to the others. It's another instrument playing in the orchestra of fighting, and there's a harmony and counterpoint there that brings a fuller feel to the symphony. You can still whistle the tune without having every one of the instruments, but you don't really know the full flavor of things.

I found Gabe's portion on the Gentleman Killer to be more fundamental than what Cooper had to say about mindset and awareness. Cooper, having been raised a gentleman, seemed to assume that of his audience. What was accepted then really does need to be stated now.

Greg talked about the actual fight, and could have used more time, like everyone. If you've read "On Killing", you've seen much of what Greg had to say. But! His perspective was different, and his advice on the management of the fight with a view to "Killing Within the Law" is not to be found elsewhere in the training circuit. You'd need to sit down at choir practice or kick back in the squad bay to start to find that stuff.

Jonathan took half the day, and needed a full day. Rather than go Ayoob's route with avoidance and such, he started with the assumption that you were standing there with a gun in your hand and a body at your feet...now let's stay OUT of court. The awareness of what's driving the investigation and how to use that flow to get *your* message out was important, and one I've only seen hinted at elsewhere. He was the perfect choice to talk about this to both LE and the public. As he's never published his bio the way he talked about it, I won't be going into more detail. Go to the class.

"Microstatements" and "reluctant shooter" have been mentioned above. They were key pieces of Jonathan's message. There are some interactions here that need to be explained in person.

The biggest downside of the whole shebang was time. Everyone had more to say and extra time would not be fluff. Besides the foundational stuff that Jonathan was covering, he could have also used more time to address more cases. By that I mean that we assumed the body and the righteous shoot. But we all know that handguns are crappy killers, so what if this isn't "One story, end of story"? What if the shooting veers from black and white into a shade of grey? Jonathan can address all that, but it needs time.

Bottom line: worth every penny and every second I put into it.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

I am going to beat this dead horse and echo what has been said previously. I am reluctant to do it, there is no other choice, and and I am the victim. not the horse. I will just say this was an outstanding class and is priceless. I have taken many of SI's classes that get your prepared for what to do during the fight and are fantastic and highly recommended. This the first class I have taken that preps your mind before the fight and the all important after the fight phase. We all want to do the righteous act, but you need to be able to able to articulate why you had to act decisively and take down the threat. It gives you the confidence to be able to know you can survive the "after" fight. It teaches you the timeline, the sequence, and gives the ability to confidently tell you side of the story to Law Enforcement. If you get a chance you do need to attend this lecture. The bonus is to be able to contribute to the SI scholarship fun.
    Don M.
    Scottsdale, AZ

"Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge"

Austin 'Dusty' Miller, the quote on the Eagle & Fledgling statue at the U.S. Air Force Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    I found Gabe's portion on the Gentleman Killer to be more fundamental than what Cooper had to say about mindset and awareness. Cooper, having been raised a gentleman, seemed to assume that of his audience. What was accepted then really does need to be stated now.
    A humble thank you. IMHO, the meat of this class was to be Jonathan's portion so Greg and i pushed through ours faster than we would have liked. Nonetheless, the salient points are:

You do not need a mindset...a mindset is a part of a lifestyle...an identity...a self-image. Thus one does not need to "activate" the mindset program...it is always active.

What story do you tell about yourself in your daily activity?
    The story you tell every day, in your daily life and daily activities, is the manifestation of your self-image – which is developed and refined by how you live your life.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I was looking at the notes of what I didn't get to and I think this is a 3 day, 24 hour class, to include a practical exercise and mock interviews....in an ideal world.

Gabe and Greg had so much more to teach that would've been great to hear.