Default GEAR AND SKILL IN ACCORD

GEAR AND SKILL IN ACCORD

Friday, May 19, 2017

GEAR AND SKILL

Posted today at warriortalk by "apamburn". Speaks exactly why having the best gear is important. Great weapons without skilled hands are merely interesting artifacts plucked from the fallen. Skilled hands without proper weapons are like the noble path of Sisyphus.

But skilled hands with great weapons - they can change history.

"But most of all I think that adding and using the RMR on my handgun has emphasized something that Gabe and WT generally has espoused for a long time, but I didn't fully comprehend:
    basic equipment + new shooter : shooter may not notice limitations of basic equipment because the capabilities of equipment still exceed capabilities of shooter.

basic equipment + good shooter : shooter will experience limitations because their capabilities are >= capabilities of equipment, and without change in equipment, development of skills will plateau, regress, or be retarded.

great equipment + new shooter : shooter's capabilities limit what they can do but their abilities will far exceed what they could do with basic equipment, and learning curve cut (case in point: my non-shooter mom with suarez RMR and brace hitting barrel at 100 yds).

great equipment + good shooter: shooter will get 'over the hump' and avoid skill plateau, identifying weaknesses and correct them; shooting capabilities enhanced (case in point: everything I could do with irons on my G19 I did faster / better/ more precise with the RMR; it also exposed weaknesses that were hidden by basic equipment)."
    Gabe Suarez

We cut our enemy's throats with Occam's Razor

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    But skilled hands with great weapons - they can change history.
    And I bet skilled hands with SI weapons have changed more history than I know. I'd love to hear some of those stories....

I'm taking an LEO buddy to the range Saturday. He was turned off by the MOS crap he had seen...but when I showed him the RMR done right his eyes lit right up. Great products really sell themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by apamburn View Post
    And I bet skilled hands with SI weapons have changed more history than I know. I'd love to hear some of those stories....

I'm taking an LEO buddy to the range Saturday. He was turned off by the MOS crap he had seen...but when I showed him the RMR done right his eyes lit right up. Great products really sell themselves.
    I will disagree slightly. Great products with great instruction really sell themselves. Without the instruction, I've seen people get confused, miss critical concepts and not get why something is so great. The RMR equipped pistol is a prime example.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I will disagree slightly. Great products with great instruction really sell themselves. Without the instruction, I've seen people get confused, miss critical concepts and not get why something is so great. The RMR equipped pistol is a prime example.

That is what marketing is supposed to be.
    Gabe Suarez

We cut our enemy's throats with Occam's Razor

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    It's almost like you got to play with one for a few hours with an instructor standing there drinking a beer.
    AKA: Fuzzy

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    Warlord of the TWOTU

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    It's almost like you got to play with one for a few hours with an instructor standing there drinking a beer.
    Precisely. I had shot one before that, didn't "get it" and dismissed it. You don't know what you don't know.

I'll say I'm a recent convert. I could visualize and appreciate the quality and the lengths to go for a properly milled slide and RMR cowitness with irons. The concepts discussed on WT and on the interwebs had given a lot of credit to the Suarez way.

It was not until I handled one in person that my blinders were magically lifted. It was as if I had been walking around with fingerprints over my glasses and someone had just cleaned them for me.

Gabe, I know marketing and you have in certain circles gotten an extreme cult following, but I would say to create scale, somehow you should be able to convert via first impression.

I'm a convert preaching it outside the tribe... not because I need to... but because it is the Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Shredder View Post
    I'm a convert preaching it outside the tribe... not because I need to... but because it is the Truth.
    I'm right there with you. I was an early adopter who bought in simply because it looked and sounded cool and I had plenty of disposable income at the time. That said, I don't know many people who can actually make consistent head shots at 50 yards with iron sights. But I saw an entire class full of people do it on demand with RMR Glocks.

I can't call myself a fanboy for a couple of reasons, but I certainly ride for the brand as I haven't seen or heard of anything truly comparable.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

I adopted RDS pistols shortly after McCann was showing his around. Several styles or mounting. The SI system was the most robust system I encountered with the RMR . I still have a j/point/Doctor sighted 19, but it wont ride a duty holster, a SI pistol does that.

and we know what that can do when called upon ;)
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time