Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Mean world syndrome"

My wife was a lady's event at church last night. She was having a conversation with another lady about a local park where a man was throwing coins on the ground in attempts to get closer to children. She was discussing what I'd consider normal stuff in regards to situational​ awareness and such. So this 20 something millennial snowflake tells my wife she and this other mom whom she's engaged in conversation with has "Mean world syndrome".

Per Wikipedia "Mean world syndrome is a term coined by George Gerbner to describe a phenomenon whereby violence-related content of mass media makes viewers believe that the world is more dangerous than it actually is".

Well.... If we were afraid I guess I see some logic, ok not really, we don't live in fear, don't train because of fear. Big difference and something this snowflake will never understand. I guess if titling us with a syndrome gives credit to your oblivious lifestyle so be it.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

I think I would have been inclined to tell her to go play in her room, because she just interrupted an ADULT conversation. Then I would have simply ignored her because her options don't matter.

Who cares....

I have a business to run, family to take care of, and hole laundry list of things that take precedence over someones opinion on how I live my life and view the world.
    ‘‘Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.’’ — Unknown

"Surround your self with the following things and you will lead a pretty rewarding and satisfied life, God, Family, Good Friends, Good Food, Good Beer/Wine."

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    My wife was a lady's event at church last night. She was having a conversation with another lady about a local park where a man was throwing coins on the ground in attempts to get closer to children. She was discussing what I'd consider normal stuff in regards to situational​ awareness and such. So this 20 something millennial snowflake tells my wife she and this other mom whom she's engaged in conversation with has "Mean world syndrome".

Per Wikipedia "Mean world syndrome is a term coined by George Gerbner to describe a phenomenon whereby violence-related content of mass media makes viewers believe that the world is more dangerous than it actually is".

Well.... If we were afraid I guess I see some logic, ok not really, we don't live in fear, don't train because of fear. Big difference and something this snowflake will never understand. I guess if titling us with a syndrome gives credit to your oblivious lifestyle so be it.
    That's what happens when you put people like the denizens of this board between the "mean people" and the general population. Yeah, there's some leakage, but by and large they stay out in their protected enclaves and let the sort-of-bad men deal with the really-bad-men and they don't have to get any on them.

Then they get mad at the sort-of-bad men because really bad men don't fit in their worldview, and the sort of bad men say "Ok then, I'll just bugger off".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.bf241c4309a4

Let us here coin a new term

S3 (Stupid Snowflake Syndrome). We have a far more important calling than the approval of lesser humans.
    Last edited by Gabriel Suarez; 05-19-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Gabe Suarez

“To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing,
    unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.”

― Winston Churchill

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I wonder what would happen when the S3 people find out the world is more cruel then they think it is...
    Geek Warlord
    How do you want to do this?

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I wonder what would happen when the S3 people find out the world is more cruel then they think it is...

Dunno...cry...run to safe space...hope people like us will help them (which we won't)?
    Gabe Suarez

“To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing,
    unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.”

― Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Let us here coin a new term

S3 (Stupid Snowflake Syndrome). We have a far more important calling than the approval of lesser humans.
    Perfect.

I find it amazing they look at this lifestyle as a syndrome when in fact they are the ones not living on the same planet.

The phrase "a lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep" is something that comes to mind.

I'm sure if this S3 knew what my wife studies and is willing to do to another human being when the need arises she'd need her little safe place to hid in.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

My family used to think I was nuts taking classes, suggesting that they should do so, and living the lifestyle I have adopted. The funniest part of it all, is that every one of them that scrutinized me before has come to me for guidance in protecting themselves after something has happend to them. I feel like telling them to gft..... But I don't.:)

Quote Originally Posted by psalms23dad View Post
    I'm sure if this S3 knew what my wife studies and is willing to do to another human being when the need arises she'd need her little safe place to hid in.
    S3 Chick: You have mean world syndrome

WT Tribe: Violence is our profession chickie...now run along.
    Gabe Suarez

― Winston Churchill