Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Dual purpose...

Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Can you give as an estimate on how big the opening is for the pocket clip?

Order going in this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    The Heretic was conceived while I was fleshing out the Pistol Ground Fighting curriculum. On the ground, in order to access your pistol you have to make space. Grappling skills of course help but there's no avoiding the fact that sometimes you need a force multiplier. An unskilled ground fighter needs a tool to help pry the bad guy off...and a skilled ground fighter can use a good tool to even greater effect.

The problem with most weapons is that they're hard to access. A folding knife is better than nothing, but under assault it can be difficult to get out of your pocket, let alone to deploy. Fixed knives are better, but the concealment requirements are greater, which can also complicate access. I wanted something I could access even easier than my pistol. Not being satisfied with what was in the market, I went to the drawing board...

The Heretic doesn't need a sheath, it just slides into your pocket. It's easy to carry everywhere, and easy to put in the hand proactively whenever you feel the need. It may not pass muster with TSA, but it also doesn't scream weapon...it's a simple bottle opener and pry bar.

With a slight modification, you can turn the Heretic into an extremely fast drawing tool. See the picture below. The Heretic doesn't come that way because not everyone wants that modification, but a little dremel work is a simple thing especially for a handy little tool that's $25.

Hook it in your pocket, access the ring with your index finger and you'll see how quickly this thing can be brought to bear. Equally useful for opening a frosty beverage after training, or prying an objectionable off you.

Thanks to Yondering for machining the prototype, and thanks to Gabe for believing in it and bringing it to market.

Attachment 52556

Attachment 52555
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    I really need my muse to strike me so I can create something called "The Confessor"
    I feel like you would design some sort of war hammer...
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkface View Post
    I feel like you would design some sort of war hammer...
    I've actually been searching for the right hammer to serve as a dual use item. I've even looked at antique hammer heads, with an eye to re-shafting them. I want a roughly 18" wood handle with a symmetrical, oblong (oval, not round) shape, and a small, symmetrical head (meaning a hammer face on both sides; no nail puller or spike). A 12 oz. titanium head would be perfect, but some variation is acceptable here. It is important that it not have a spike, claw, or nail puller, because those features get focused on as "weapon-like"--as if smashing someone's skull with a hammer isn't. I want it to be symmetrical so that I don't have to worry about which way the hammer is facing. The oblong shape of the grip will allow me to blindly orient the hammer in my hand, so that I'm not smashing with the side of the head. It should have a smooth face, not a cross-hatched face like a framing hammer. I would actually use this occasionally as a finish hammer, but my deeper motive is martial. I can foresee carrying this through foreign countries, along with a sharp chisel and a portfolio of my furniture-building skills.

It even has an obvious name: Jeremiah's Hammer.

Says the Lord, "You are my hammer; my weapon of war. With you I will shatter nations; with you I will destroy kingdoms."
    Jeremiah 51:20
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
    Can you give as an estimate on how big the opening is for the pocket clip?

Order going in this morning!
    Mine is 3/16th. I would start smaller and see how it works for you. Adjust as necessary.

I mostly wear jeans and it works perfectly. One of my dojo guys wears 511 type pants and he thought a slightly smaller cut would be more secure.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I've actually been searching for the right hammer to serve as a dual use item. ...

Says the Lord, "You are my hammer; my weapon of war. With you I will shatter nations; with you I will destroy kingdoms."
    Damn LD, now you've got me looking for a Titanium War Hammer. I though I was happy with a shortened 6lb sledge that I bought and cut down after a Breaching thread a few years back by Sua. I will often take the dogs for a walk with a Colt Steel War Hammer. Its far from perfect; but now I want something more...thankx

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    Mine is 3/16th. I would start smaller and see how it works for you. Adjust as necessary.

I mostly wear jeans and it works perfectly. One of my dojo guys wears 511 type pants and he thought a slightly smaller cut would be more secure.
    If I remember right we sized that to work with jeans and carhartts since that's what we were wearing, but yeah, a smaller cut would be better for thinner material like slacks or a lot of uniforms.

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I've actually been searching for the right hammer to serve as a dual use item. I've even looked at antique hammer heads, with an eye to re-shafting them. I want a roughly 18" wood handle with a symmetrical, oblong (oval, not round) shape, and a small, symmetrical head (meaning a hammer face on both sides; no nail puller or spike). A 12 oz. titanium head would be perfect, but some variation is acceptable here. It is important that it not have a spike, claw, or nail puller, because those features get focused on as "weapon-like"--as if smashing someone's skull with a hammer isn't. I want it to be symmetrical so that I don't have to worry about which way the hammer is facing. The oblong shape of the grip will allow me to blindly orient the hammer in my hand, so that I'm not smashing with the side of the head. It should have a smooth face, not a cross-hatched face like a framing hammer. I would actually use this occasionally as a finish hammer, but my deeper motive is martial. I can foresee carrying this through foreign countries, along with a sharp chisel and a portfolio of my furniture-building skills.

I like it, except for the material choice; there's not much advantage to using titanium there except to make it seem high tech. A good carbon steel like most hammers is a better choice, or even a high impact tool steel like S7 if you want to get fancy.
    It sounds a lot like a mini sledge with a longer handle. A good ball peen hammer would probably be closest to fitting the description, for anything off the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    If I remember right we sized that to work with jeans and carhartts since that's what we were wearing, but yeah, a smaller cut would be better for thinner material like slacks or a lot of uniforms.
    Excellent input guys. Ill start with the initial cut with the cutting wheel and go from there before smoothing out with emery cloth.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017