Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJ223 View Post
    Better stopping power at close distance (I don't like the term. But, you know what I mean)
    From what I've heard from reliable witnesses, the shotgun is about the only thing sort of a .50 cal (YKWIM) for which the term "stopping power" is actually reasonable.

P.S. I am not really worried about capacity.
    Top off on the go.

In general, my hunting and killing things experience tells me heavy bullets kill better than light bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOblivion View Post

Top off on the go.
    Exactly. My favorite way to practice that is to take a shotgun, load a single shell, tell the person running the thrower to launch another as soon as I bust the first. Then you have to load and cycle the gun before the next clay is out of range. It's fun and good weapons handling training.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalms, 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Anything can fail...but the more physical damage and bleeding you cause with minimal effort, the less likely your adversaries will continue with their plans.
    It's almost like I wrote a long ass article on this very topic a few weeks ago.
    AKA: Fuzzy

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    Warlord of the TWOTU

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    It's almost like I wrote a long ass article on this very topic a few weeks ago.
    As did I a few years ago.

http://blog.suarezinternational.com/...l-staff-i.html

v/r

JD

FINALLY... we are coming back to appreciate the Shotgun!!!
    Yea, though I walk through the valley, in the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil, for I graduated from Suarez International's Ultimate Combat Skills Course.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ223 View Post
    Great replies. I had not considered the "two for one" effect at greater distances on armed attackers.

Just brainstorming here ... What would you think about a plan that used a carbine in the day / shotgun at night?

The reasoning would be all the advantages of the shotgun would seem to be more likely at night - hitting targets in reduced visibility / waking up to your front door being kicked in by multiple bad guys up close and real dynamic. In the day time, you can more easily use the advantage of optics to keep bad guys at a distance. The fog of war will be a little less intense in the day because you can see. The precision of a carbine could be capitalized on more.

It seems like the shotgun became "uncool" as a fighting tool shortly after the AWB expired. Everyone was so happy to get their M4s and AKs back, they wanted nothing else. The wars in the middle east seemed also to contribute to "carbine fever". Everyone wanted to be just like the guys fighting the towelheads.

I know you guys like to think outside the box and avoid silly gun fads. So, I am just doing some brainstorming.
    Day and night seems to be moving in the right direction. Different tools for different jobs and I like where you are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Biggs View Post
    FINALLY... we are coming back to appreciate the Shotgun!!!
    YES, some of us never stopped; but I'm glad others are coming back

Confession, just back online, haven't read all the replise. Reread Gabe's #5 in his post #3: Round of buck into the pavement in their general direction; a tactic formerly known as skipping.Think I first read about here, a long time ago. Also, item #6 has merit....

Mayor Dailey when rioting started in Chicago said : "Looters, shoot to wound; arsonists, shoot to kill." Riots fizzled.
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.