Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TFA303 View Post
    It really depends on context. Here in AL, in a DoD workplace, talking about guns and hunting is second only to talking about football in terms of cultural pervasiveness, lots of people have carry permits, and even those who don't will generally understand those who do. Letting someone know that I'm into guns is a very, very low-risk disclosure.

That said, since it's a Federal Felony to carry at work, it's definitely an NPE and I would never carry here.
    but only a Bama fan would rat you out. War Eagle!

Quote Originally Posted by toothie View Post
    A quote from long ago and far away: "Only trust those who stand to lose as much as you when things go bad."
    I like this...
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

During training for my former job inspecting foreclosed homes my trainer said, "If they catch you carrying a gun on this job they will fire you. That said... they will never ask you if you carry a gun on this job." The official policy was don't ask, don't tell. I just smiled and nodded. I was carrying at the time he said it and had every intention to carry as long as I was alone in unoccupied houses all day.

The only time I had an issue was when my work truck got hit and I had to file a police report. Michigan has a "duty to inform" clause whenever a CCW holder interacts with an officer on official duty. I told the LEO I was carrying against company policy and asked that it not appear in the report. He said, "No problem. I teach our local concealed carry class. You'd be nuts not to carry on your job."

People love to rat themselves out. It's the same for carrying a gun as it is for anything else you "aren't supposed to" do or have. How many people who are having an extra marital affair or any number of no-no taboo breakers get caught that way? Almost all of them. There is some deep need to brag in the human psyche. Fight that urge to tell your buddies how cool you are.

First rule of getting away with something is: don't talk about something you're getting away with. Repeat that to yourself a thousand times.

As an aside I edited before I clicked post. I had a short list of "hypothetical" things people rat themselves out for. I cut it down to one thing that I haven't done myself. (I have, however, seen guys brag about that one. Guess how that worked out for them.)

I'm really glad I own my own business.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I'm really glad I own my own business.
    Sure, but that doesn't work out for everyone, and in many cases (mine is one), I'll make more money enduring this little rule than not.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

Interesting thread. I'm retired now, but for several years worked for a major defense contractor that had a strict 'no firearms' policy. I violated that policy daily once I learned that they had no effective way to monitor, and I kept totally silent about it, even with the guys that I knew to be firearms-friendly. The real eye-opener came when two of our team were designated to go TDY to Iraq at a time when there was daily enemy activity.The company refused to give the guys any firearms training and insisted that they not be armed when in-country. I got them aside and advised them to get personal arms, black market or any way they could, once in Iraq, and plan to dispose of the arms if and when necessary and certainly before returning to CONUS. Soon thereafter I learned that several other company folks, including a reasonably high level manager, planned to give them an unofficial training day. I joined the group, we all took a day off from work, and we trained the team guys to use AR-15's, AK-47 and related guns, several kinds of pistols, and a Russian sniper rifle, in case the SHTF and they had to pick up and use whatever they could find. As it turned out, our guys never needed the training and returned safely after their TDY, but we all sure felt a lot better for having made the effort. I still cannot help but feel a lot of disdain for that company though.

[QUOTE=GaelForce5;1867233]Interesting thread. I'm retired now, but for several years worked for a major DEFENSE CONTRACTOR that had a strict 'no firearms' policy. QUOTE]

That about sums up everything that is so aggravating and just plain STUPID about the liability focused mindset of America in general. Itd be one thing if some huggy/feely relief mission type agency were to have such a policy....itd still be stupid but not as surprising........but when the folks who are supposedly IN THE WAR BUISNESS are so staunchly anti-gun....... is it any wonder so many orks see Americans as easy prey.

It's rough when you lack cultural compatibility with your employment situation or living situation.

I've spent my entire adult life being a soldier or a cop, and people pretty much EXPECT you to talk about guns. If I was unarmed at work I would get in trouble.
    "We should always try to do the right thing and the moral thing and the legal thing, but first we should do the SMART thing."
    --John S. Farnam
    Defense Training International

This is the work variation of Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up and works just as well in this instance..... Release any information at your own peril. You have two ears and one mouth for a reason, listen twice as much as you talk ;)
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time