Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by P.D. View Post
    Periods of silence during an interrogation was an interviewing skill we learned from psychologists. It works like a charm.
    Yep just sit an look at your SO for a minute and a half saying nothing. See how long it takes her to start talking about anything ;)

In interrogation its a GREAT tool!
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

My wife is a shrink and early in our marriage she tried that tactic on me. Turns out I'm way better at it than she is. Same with the silent treatment. She thought she was punishing me and while I was thinking, "What a relief!"
    "Public employee unions are an inherently seditious construct"
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Quote Originally Posted by kabar View Post
    My wife is a shrink and early in our marriage she tried that tactic on me. Turns out I'm way better at it than she is. Same with the silent treatment. She thought she was punishing me and while I was thinking, "What a relief!"
    Yup. I hear that, brother.

In a different application ... I had to visit our insurance agent, drop a couple of life insurance plans that weren't doing anything for us and actually tying up some of our money. The problem was he's a long time acquaintance and likes to think of himself as our "friend" (he's not our friend). Anyway, I stated my business, told him what I wanted to cancel. I then sat back and either a) asked him about his latest golf trip or b) sat there and waited for him to type into the computer whatever was needed to conclude our business. There was a lot of silent time, which I thought was interesting; he was playing the same game, it seemed. I had all the time in the world, so he finally sighed, did his thing on the computer and I was on my way with a hefty check and one less payment to make.

I told my wife what had transpired and she practically giggled.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 09-25-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

re the newer posts in this thread about silence - Good tips for a social function I get to go tonight.

As for the start of the thread topic:

a) I used to be into the gun & gun culture thing even maybe with braggadocio loose lips.

b) Then I got married, had kids and sold my collection. For their safety.

People who knew me as a) now know me as b). Anyone since met has no clue about a).