Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: XD-E

Quote Originally Posted by scbair View Post
    For me, the double action (I refer to true double action, with hammer fully at rest until the operation of the trigger both cocks and fires the piece) is necessary for AIWB carry. While I don't plan to get the XD-E, this niche is well-served by my 3rd Gen S&W .40, or my SP101 snubbie. While a lot of others may choose to pack a pistol either in Condition 1 or with a pre-loaded striker pointing directly at their groin and/or femoral artery, I have less faith than they do in mechanical objects. Sears and safeties malfunction at the darnedest times...
    Do you realize the Glock trigger mechanism is also double action? Most other striker fired pistols are not, but the Glock pulls the striker to the rear during the trigger stroke; that's what the long trigger pull does. Be aware that certain aftermarket triggers bypass that feature though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Do you realize the Glock trigger mechanism is also double action? Most other striker fired pistols are not, but the Glock pulls the striker to the rear during the trigger stroke; that's what the long trigger pull does. Be aware that certain aftermarket triggers bypass that feature though.
    The so-called "double action" of the Glock (actually, I think Glock calls it "safe action") still pre-loads the striker somewhat. That's why I qualified my definition as having hammer completely forward until the trigger is pressed. Maybe just my paranoia, but that's also why I carry a backup. As I previously noted, mechanical objects malfunction when least expected, and I've known Mr. Murphy for quite a few years.

I shot one of these last weekend at a local gun club's open house. Springfield always has a booth there, and this year they had an XD-E to try out. The rep informed me that the "E" stands for "external," referencing the hammer. I only fired a magazine through it at a plate rack, and while I had no problem clearing the rack, I acknowledge this isn't much to go on.

I was put off by just about everything about this gun. I've fired every other model of XD there is, and I've generally liked them all. But this thing... I couldn't find a single thing I liked about it. Namely, the way it felt in the hand (uncomfortable and awkward to grip and shoot), and the way it pointed (also awkwardly). In a word, I would describe this pistol as "awkward." It just doesn't feel anything like any of the other XD's, and is honestly one of the most uncomfortable pistols I've ever held. Everything about it just feels wrong.

Im just one guy, and maybe others will find it more to their liking, but I really can't understand what Springfield was thinking when they designed this.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.