Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Recipe for disaster from the beginning.

We occasionally use a designated .38 for Scenario Training with Blank Ammo. The Ammo is confirmed Blank and most importantly, THE GUN LOADED WITH BLANKS IS NEVER POINTED AT ANYONE. It is used for sound only. If we are going to point anything at anyone in a Citizen Demo, it is a Blue Gun or a Sim/ UTM Gun and the appropriate protective gear is in place.

Occasionally, we have used unloaded weapons for Scenario training, but in those rare situations, there is always three tiered safety check (Self, Buddy and Instructor/ Safety Officer) and a strictly enforced Hard Perimeter to keep Live Weapons and Ammo from creeping in. It is when these multiple, overlapping and redundant precautions are skipped or ignored, that Murphy strikes.
    Fletch Fuller

“Train Like Others Won't, So You Can Do Those Things That Others Can't.”

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch Fuller View Post
    If we are going to point anything at anyone[,] it is a Blue Gun or a Sim/ UTM Gun and the appropriate protective gear is in place.

[...]
    It is when these multiple, overlapping and redundant precautions are skipped or ignored, that Murphy strikes.
    This.
    In military scenarios such as combatives/CQC/FTX, same.
    I can say that I have seen a lot of very close calls and a couple of serious accidents including gunshot wounds with a belt-fed weapon because the safety points weren't respected for just a brief moment. Comfort and overconfidence result in drastic mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    Safety protocols were either not set or enforced. No live ammo should have been allowed any where near there. Double check, triple check, then check again.
    No. This is what blue guns are for.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Superficially some blank loads and some projectile loaded rounds like wadcutters are similar at a quick glance. I do not know what he had in that gun.

Wadcutter
    Attachment 52253

Blanks

He had a box of wadcutters that he "believed" were blanks. No excuses for crap like that.

Back in the dark ages when I was in high school (1981) our drama club did a production of Oklahoma. Several of us got to carry actual 22 revolvers loaded with blanks in school! At one point in a dream sequence the Jud character kills the Curly character ... we only used the blanks in the actual productions, not during rehearsals. During the first performance, right after the curtain came down after Curly was shot, the kid playing Curly excitedly told the director that he had been hit in the chest by hot particles from the blanks. We didn't stop using the pistols and blanks, but the kid playing Jud was instructed to aim off to the side of the other kid! (It was a different world I guess)

Not all that long after that, actor Jon-Erik Hexum died as a result of foolishly pointing a gun loaded with blanks at his own head.
    RDS Pistol School - June 24-26, 2016, SGF-1 - April 29-30, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by PastorM View Post
    Back in the dark ages when I was in high school (1981) our drama club did a production of Oklahoma. Several of us got to carry actual 22 revolvers loaded with blanks in school! At one point in a dream sequence the Jud character kills the Curly character ... we only used the blanks in the actual productions, not during rehearsals. During the first performance, right after the curtain came down after Curly was shot, the kid playing Curly excitedly told the director that he had been hit in the chest by hot particles from the blanks. We didn't stop using the pistols and blanks, but the kid playing Jud was instructed to aim off to the side of the other kid! (It was a different world I guess)

Not all that long after that, actor Jon-Erik Hexum died as a result of foolishly pointing a gun loaded with blanks at his own head.
    I remember a school play in which the drama teacher took her husband's 1911 to the play to be used as a prop by the student actors. I think the play might have been south pacific or something like that. They said the firing pin had been removed. Never would happen today.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez