Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Back in news death of librarian during training scenario by LEO

The local media is going after the officer that killed the librarian during the training exercise for CCW citizens in Florida. the officer that is still facing criminal charges wants his job back. He was planning to use blanks in his personal revolver and used real ammo. but blanks are dangerous. So in any case the officer certainly was not competent to be involved in such training.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

The question for me is: why would he point a gun at somebody in this type of exercise.

I tell you what – I would have NOBODY pointing a gun at me in a damn demonstration! If I "had to" for some reason, I would check it out myself.

Safety protocols were either not set or enforced. No live ammo should have been allowed any where near there. Double check, triple check, then check again.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragsbo View Post
    Safety protocols were either not set or enforced. No live ammo should have been allowed any where near there. Double check, triple check, then check again.
    That.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

Superficially some blank loads and some projectile loaded rounds like wadcutters are similar at a quick glance. I do not know what he had in that gun.

Wadcutter
    what-is-a-wadcutter-bullet.jpg

Blanks
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

This is stupid... anything that requires a hand to hand or pointing a gun can be achieved with a Blue gun.... no reason for pulling the trigger for effect even with blanks.

How did someone so f-ing stupid become a cop?

My buddy was in the training division here. They used a variety of confiscated real guns that have been de-activated, and painted red, to train guys on disarms, searching, unloading, etc. And they used the blue plastic guns for more physical stuff. Simunitions, too. No live guns, or live ammo, are allowed or even needed during training. And of course, beyond a sprained ankle or bruised ego, nobody has gotten themselves hurt during training. (This ain't Baltimore City, thankfully.) Not sure what this guy was thinking.
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

We did exercises all the time with MILES equipment (yeah old school I know but that is what we had). ALL the weapons we used were adapted so they would NOT except a live round. The barrels were blocked. The magazines we had also would not except a live round and color coded. We searched ourselves then we searched each other. We locked down the area we were training in so no one could go in. All armed personnel working knew the area we were training in and staid away. I made sure of it because I was the bad guy a team of up to 6 were going after with M16s and Glock!

The blanks we used were easily identified as blanks. There was no way a person could confused them with a live round.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

Training with your regular pistol is fine. We've pointed our weapons at each other in at least 2 SI classes that I can think of. Point being is that you visually check, and finger sweep, and I do the same. Pull the trigger for extra satisfaction if it floats your boat.

Point is, the guy was an idiot.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader

IDPS, DOK, TMCO, FVGF, CPM, CRM, SCPIS, TASI

TWOTU Since May 2015