Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchase new AK

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Wasn't DDI bought out by Palmetto State Armory?
    I don't think so PSA is doing an AK though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention that has been praised and denounced... Served Hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

KRG 9/11/11, PSGS 3/23/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, M4 Sniper Week 2/20/13, TMCO 4/27/13, ATM 10/26/13, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 6/19/15, CRG-1 9/26/15, TASI 1/23/16, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 9/30/16

Quote Originally Posted by C.J. Singleton View Post
    I don't think so PSA is doing an AK though.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ndustries/amp/
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." Martin Luther

What is this re-flange you speak of? My MAK-90 goes unused because I hate the stock. I have seen the repackents from Iron Woods in CA, but too many others. The slant cut receiver pretty much makes it a pain in the ass.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

I stand corrected. When DDI's aks started making waves the other year PSA was doing an ak around the same time at that point they were still separate.

Last edited by C.J. Singleton; 04-23-2017 at 07:47 AM.
    The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention that has been praised and denounced... Served Hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

KRG 9/11/11, PSGS 3/23/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, M4 Sniper Week 2/20/13, TMCO 4/27/13, ATM 10/26/13, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 6/19/15, CRG-1 9/26/15, TASI 1/23/16, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 9/30/16

If it were me I would get an Arsenal SLR, Vepr, or a WASR. I'm sure there are other companies doing promising things but off the self one of those will be your best bet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steve_k View Post
    What is this re-flange you speak of? My MAK-90 goes unused because I hate the stock. I have seen the repackents from Iron Woods in CA, but too many others. The slant cut receiver pretty much makes it a pain in the ass.
    It`s kind of a bitch to do it with a slant cut receiver but it can be done. Give the MAK back its fangs; traditional stock and grip, bayonet lug (if you want it), that kinda stuff.
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

I share the same sentiments and findings as the others on this thread, especially Fjord. For legion, I had 2 that was the SGL-21 plum and green. Sold 1 to my brother so he could train in a SI AK class, and the plum was sold for almost 2.5 times I paid for it. My brother still has it and loves it. I still have a WASR, my 1st AK. Not sure I would buy one again today but I've heard some good reviews from the new batch. Then again, I view the WASR at the time as a cheap buy in to the AK world. Not knowing at the time which type of rifle was going to be my go-to. It's still a beater, goes bang everytime, and does what it should minus the lousy finish, loose magwell, and less than stellar accurracy. I get about 4-6" at 100 depending on which ammo I run. Golden tiger runs best on it. My other is the DDI, stamp, Zhukov edition. Accuracy, finish and fit has been great. My groups usually shrink in half compared to the WASR. I'm not an AK collector and I treat them as such. Hope your search and AK buy goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Likeakm View Post
    I'm cuban and I know the soviet AKM I,ve seen some in gun stores but the quality and finish is horrible I'm looking forthe classic AK, can I get some advise about brands and manufactures or where to get a good AK
    thanks
    A casual perusal of the Legion website reveals their products to be overpriced compared to Atlantic Firearms or K-Var, frequently used vendors focusing on AKs. The classic AK such as a WASR has lousy finish and quality, so you will want to determine if you want something that reflects the Combloc experience or a well made HD rifle.
    Others have mentioned the Arsenal SLR 107 as the new baseline at $850 for AKs. A VEPR will run about $1000 and is heavier with a thicker receiver.

Other than nostalgia and the joys of shooting cheap ammunition, one must ask why there is interest in the AK? As such, the platform is overpriced compared to the AR-15, which is more accurate, lighter, and much easier to customize. I love my SGL-26 and shoot it regularly, but it ranks below my 300 BLK and 5.56 AR for serious purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter Ready View Post
    A casual perusal of the Legion website reveals their products to be overpriced compared to Atlantic Firearms or K-Var, frequently used vendors focusing on AKs. The classic AK such as a WASR has lousy finish and quality, so you will want to determine if you want something that reflects the Combloc experience or a well made HD rifle.
    Others have mentioned the Arsenal SLR 107 as the new baseline at $850 for AKs. A VEPR will run about $1000 and is heavier with a thicker receiver.

Other than nostalgia and the joys of shooting cheap ammunition, one must ask why there is interest in the AK? As such, the platform is overpriced compared to the AR-15, which is more accurate, lighter, and much easier to customize. I love my SGL-26 and shoot it regularly, but it ranks below my 300 BLK and 5.56 AR for serious purposes.
    The AK holds more powder and at combat ranges of say 5-100 yards hits at least as hard as a 300 blk out. My mak 90 with an aimpoint mounted on a ultimak is just fine. For longer ranges I want a .308, 30-06, 8x57, or 7.62x54 and not a .22. Especially when shooting at vehicles or into houses.
    But this is an old argument and never won by either side. The important things are to have rifle that works reliably and shoots at least as well as you do.
    I have an older WASR and it shoots 3 moa with decent comblock ammo and that is decent assault rifle accuracy and good for head shoots to say maybe 200 yards which is the longest shot I can possibly have about my place. I mainly train with the MAK 90. As I age I may go to the AR as I become wimpy due to aging. I am coming down with back problems and a light AR 5.56 recoil does have its blessings.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

They are scarce, but if you can get a preban Norinco/Polytech made in full by godless, commie, Chinamen and imported as a factory complete rifle you have a charm. I save boxes and factory accessory packaging to the point of my garage rafters being a fire hazard. The Matching number box, wire cutter bayonet, cleaning gear. and mags makes one of these a 3K-5K gun. The ones that are shot and dinged with assorted mags still are the most reliable rifles that I have ever shot. They are not sniper rifles except for one in .223 that groups like a good AR with 55gr ball. My second most accurate (GULP) is a WASR that has a fit and finish that will draw blood when it is used but regularly shoots sub 2MOA, other WASR's sometimes pattern rather than group.

I may be the only guy here that actually likes the NATO thumbhole stocked MAK-90s. I remember a photo here of Gabe burning a stack of Mak 90 stocks for a campfire. Even that stock is still a little short for a guy 6'3'' who buys shirts with 40 inch sleeves, but they pull up better and faster than any of my other AKs.

I can have anything I want at my bedside. I have an AK with a co-witnessed T-1 on an Ultimak tube and an 870 in Cruiser Carry mode.

Choirboy