Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Purchase new AK

I'm looking to get into the AK for foreign weapons familiarization. Need to get a training rifle. It doesn't need to be the bestest ever. What it does need:

1) Strong commonality with the most common AKM variants. My training reps, maintenance, and armorer's skills need to be translatable.

2) Accurate as can be expected from the platform, cost taken into account. If I can get a rifle that is 50% more accurate for 10% more in price, clearly, that is where I would be going.
    2b) The accuracy goals are minute-of-man out to 300m with open sights. Obviously, tighter is better (as with most things).

3) As economical as I can manage. A factory new WASR is just under $700, so that in many ways sets the benchmark. I need to meet or exceed the value of the WASR in order for the rifle to be worth considering, and have been patiently hunting for a used WASR or SAR1 for $450-550.
    3a) due to the fact that this is a training aid (my go to war gun is my AR-15), I am not looking to replace my primary weapon system or acquire a collector's piece.

Currently, this has me looking at a few used WASRs, a couple of SAR1s, a Yugo M70AB2 underfolder, and a few others. Are there any particular rifles that you can think of that fit into this statement of purpose that I have not mentioned (or maybe that you have sitting in your safe, gathering dust)?
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    I'm looking to get into the AK for foreign weapons familiarization. Need to get a training rifle. It doesn't need to be the bestest ever. What it does need:

1) Strong commonality with the most common AKM variants. My training reps, maintenance, and armorer's skills need to be translatable.

2) Accurate as can be expected from the platform, cost taken into account. If I can get a rifle that is 50% more accurate for 10% more in price, clearly, that is where I would be going.
    2b) The accuracy goals are minute-of-man out to 300m with open sights. Obviously, tighter is better (as with most things).

3) As economical as I can manage. A factory new WASR is just under $700, so that in many ways sets the benchmark. I need to meet or exceed the value of the WASR in order for the rifle to be worth considering, and have been patiently hunting for a used WASR or SAR1 for $450-550.
    3a) due to the fact that this is a training aid (my go to war gun is my AR-15), I am not looking to replace my primary weapon system or acquire a collector's piece.

Currently, this has me looking at a few used WASRs, a couple of SAR1s, a Yugo M70AB2 underfolder, and a few others. Are there any particular rifles that you can think of that fit into this statement of purpose that I have not mentioned (or maybe that you have sitting in your safe, gathering dust)?
    I say you should look into the Arsenal SLR107R. MSRP of $850 last I checked. If you`ve been keeping up with Springfield Armory`s "Saint" AR15 you`ll be familiar with the concept of the 107R - it`s basically an attempt to move the goalpost.
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb