Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchase new AK

Default Purchase new AK

I want to buy a new ak I have done some research online. I found this company called LEGION USA.
    They said they use original AK parts to build theirs
    Somebody has some reference about this company

Welcome to the forums! I`m an AK-holic myself, even if it`s an unpopular opinion around here.

Legion does good work, I`ve not heard any negative about them. In that price range you could probably also find an Arsenal in their SGL series, which is a Saiga. Legion can be a bit spendy for their stuff but I put up with it because it`s things I haven`t been able to find elsewhere.
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

Quote Originally Posted by Fjordforder View Post
    Welcome to the forums! I`m an AK-holic myself, even if it`s an unpopular opinion around here.

Legion does good work, I`ve not heard any negative about them. In that price range you could probably also find an Arsenal in their SGL series, which is a Saiga. Legion can be a bit spendy for their stuff but I put up with it because it`s things I haven`t been able to find elsewhere.
    I'm cuban and I know the soviet AKM I,ve seen some in gun stores but the quality and finish is horrible I'm looking forthe classic AK, can I get some advise about brands and manufactures or where to get a good AK
    thanks
    Last edited by Likeakm; 04-21-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Arsenal of Bulgaria (Imprted by FIME group and sold through K-VAR) is considered by a lot of people to be the cream of the crop for a factory rifle, they offer just about any caliber and furniture combination you could look for. On the more recent runs of the SLR series the paint is a bit weak and bubbles if that`s a problem to you. I`m very interested in their SLR107R, which is sold for $850 or so last I checked - it`s basically doing what Springfield Armory did with their Saint AR and moving the goalpost, which hopefully will make other manufacturers change suit. Century (CAI) is more than a little spotty and their reputation shows. Generally you`ll do well to steer clear of what they make in-house but the products they import like the Zastava family are fine rifles, however the wood they use for import is really cheap, I`d advise swapping it out with something immediately upon receipt. Their RAS47 is dangerous to the user - stay the living hell away from it. Rob Ski of the AK Operator`s Union has a multi-part review in which he puts one through the same 5000 round tests as the other rifles he reviews and it failed miserably. Watch it for a quick laugh if nothing else. IO (InterOrdnance) is some of the worst you`ll find, just hop on google and find some of the horror stories about them and their partners, Royal Tiger Imports. In my opinion the only decent product RTI turned out EVER was the Polish Beryl, but those have basically dried up. The M&M M10 (or RH10 sometimes) is basically your plain Century WASR-10 with a different gas block, if you care about that. You`d be losing a few inches of sight radius if you take that route but I hear they`re solid performers. If you can find a reputable builder in your area you might do well to find a kit you like and have them build it instead, my AKS74 is a kit build. It`s changed clothes a bit since then but at heart it`s the same rifle.

L3S3CBY.jpg

EDITING TO ADD
    You might be able to find A Norinco MAK-90 for a fair price and have it re-fanged (removed from ban configuration; adding a traditional buttstock and grip, bayonet lug, etc) as well. The Norincos are fine rifles, however I hear that since the 1994 import ban their quality has dropped significantly. That of course doesn`t affect us though because we`re stuck with only what we had when the ban hit. Riley Defense is doing rather well I hear for using cast components (the combloc, old school, heavy duty AKs use a Forged front trunnion instead of cast) but I`m holding off on buying one until I see them getting to the 5000 round mark without major problems.
    Last edited by Fjordforder; 04-21-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

While I`m thinking of it, Blackheart has an awful reputation as well, just like Lancaster. In fact, if memory serves Lancaster actually morphed into Blackheart? Maybe I`m getting them cconfused, but the bottom line is that Lancaster morphed into another company with a less-than-stellar reputation.
    -Greg Nichols

-Shooterb

DITING TO ADD
    You might be able to find A Norinco MAK-90 for a fair price and have it re-fanged (removed from ban configuration; adding a traditional buttstock and grip, bayonet lug, etc) as well. The Norincos are fine rifles, however I hear that since the 1994 import ban their quality has dropped significantly. That of course doesn`t affect us though because we`re stuck with only what we had when the ban hit. Riley Defense is doing rather well I hear for using cast components (the combloc, old school, heavy duty AKs use a Forged front trunnion instead of cast) but I`m holding off on buying one until I see them getting to the 5000 round mark without major problems.
    Last edited by Fjordforder; 04-21-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    Did any Mak90's come in after the '94 ban?
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Not as far as I`m aware. If so, not legally.
    -Greg Nichols

-Shooterb

Check out destructive device industries their rifles have had very good reviews and have a reputation for very good accuracy.

They also ship their rifles with a KG guncoat finnish much more durable than the grill paint Arsenal/kvar uses (the finnish is the only downside to their rifles though)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention that has been praised and denounced... Served Hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history.

KRG 9/11/11, PSGS 3/23/12, CPM 8/11/12, ACPM 8/18/12, M4 Sniper Week 2/20/13, TMCO 4/27/13, ATM 10/26/13, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 6/19/15, CRG-1 9/26/15, TASI 1/23/16, Wilderness Warrior Weekend 9/30/16

I hear DDI`s US made stuff is rather spotty at best? Their kit builds are fantastic but I`ve no hands-on with one of their US made rifles, only heard some nasty stories.
    -Greg Nichols

-Shooterb

Quote Originally Posted by Fjordforder View Post
    I hear DDI`s US made stuff is rather spotty at best? Their kit builds are fantastic but I`ve no hands-on with one of their US made rifles, only heard some nasty stories.
    Wasn't DDI bought out by Palmetto State Armory?
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." Martin Luther