Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    It's interesting how some of the websites devoted to this sort of historically significant tracking (onthisday.com) makes no mention of Waco. I was probably working, or in class, during that event.
    I remember Oklahoma City quite vividly, tho. I was working my way through Nursing School, and was driving home when I was listening to some of the descriptions on NPR. One fireman was trying really hard not to lose it, while he was trying to express what they were finding as it related to the kids from the daycare on site.
    I had to pull over into a Home Depot parking lot to get MY shit together. God, that was an awful day, but just like 9/11... the stories of people risking themselves to save others is what carries me through those memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a newly assigned Captain on the Airstaff in the Pentagon. Some of the regular Army officers I knew in Army G3 were crapping their pants because the Texas Army National Guard allowed the use of the tank that you see ramming the building to insert the tear gas. Texas told them it was done under order of the Texas Commander in Chief (I.e. The Governor) so they should just calm down, as the National Guard and their equipment comes under the governor until mobilized by the Feds...a concept that usually escapes regular Army and Air Force leadership...
    War is the realm of uncertainty; three quarters of the factors on which action in war is based are wrapped in a fog of greater or lesser uncertainty. A sensitive and discriminating judgment is called for; a skilled intelligence to scent out the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by von Clausewitz View Post
    I was a newly assigned Captain on the Airstaff in the Pentagon. Some of the regular Army officers I knew in Army G3 were crapping their pants because the Texas Army National Guard allowed the use of the tank that you see ramming the building to insert the tear gas. Texas told them it was done under order of the Texas Commander in Chief (I.e. The Governor) so they should just calm down, as the National Guard and their equipment comes under the governor until mobilized by the Feds...a concept that usually escapes regular Army and Air Force leadership...
    Yep, Guard units are state owned until activate through an act of war. Reservists are fed $$$ just like active duty.
    AKA: Fuzzy

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    Warlord of the TWOTU

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

I was at work, putting a small radial together. My boss came up to me & said; "you were right, it's happening right now & they're using tanks on them like you said they would."

I remember standing there for a moment thinking: " this is a line that never should have been crossed"

Quote Originally Posted by irishhunter View Post
    It's interesting how some of the websites devoted to this sort of historically significant tracking (onthisday.com) makes no mention of Waco. I was probably working, or in class, during that event.
    I remember Oklahoma City quite vividly, tho. I was working my way through Nursing School, and was driving home when I was listening to some of the descriptions on NPR. One fireman was trying really hard not to lose it, while he was trying to express what they were finding as it related to the kids from the daycare on site.
    In which of these two events was the government the 'bad actor' and in which was it the 'victim'. I am purposely using terminology that is more in use these days. This should provide insight into which event gets play in a 'history written by the victors'.
    Those were sad days in our history. As likely these upcoming days where we are seemingly Hell F*ing Bent on being at as many ongoing, long term, no definition of victory or terminal condition "Wars" as we are able to manage may be seen in future years.
    “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell

"Calling Ron Paul an isolationist is like calling your neighbor a 'hermit'
    because he doesn't come over and break your windows.
    "

Working.

My Dad and I were cheering on the Branch Davidians when they RETURNED fire initiated by the BATF.

Quote Originally Posted by von Clausewitz View Post
    Ann Richards is that governor who has blood on her hands.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Lester View Post
    Mogadishu Somalia.

v/r

JD
    Looks like we were there at the same time. The best part is after we left they sent us back two months later. I will never forget the smell.

On the Korean peninsula with my fellow Marines participating in the annual middle finger to the NORKs.