Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .303 epps info

http://www.303british.com/id20.html

Here's a link to a site offering a book with modern loading data for the .303 Eps. Per the article at the link, the Eps chambered loads improve the .303 to .308 Winchester velocities in No. 4 Enfield actions and can go a bit faster in P14 rifles.
    "Hey I've got an idea! We should make welfare as easy to get as VA benefits."
    "If you see something, say something... so we can call you a racist!"
    "Zen? Meh! Who needs it? All that effort to achieve nothingness and what do you got? Bupkis!

Thanks mates, my google aint up to scratch. Thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-J106F using Tapatalk
    If my time must come, let it be when I am protecting my loved ones. Let there be a pile of brass scattered around me and a pile of my enemies at my feet. Let my slides be locked open on empty mags and my knife broken. Let my face be bloody from biting the throat of my last foe and let me be wearing a necklace of fresh ears. Take me to Your Heavens and let me hear the laughter of my children as they reenact the fight and I will rest peacefully.- Edelweiss.

Ja, saw that site, didnt see the link to the reloading data though. Will make a plan. First got to get it on my name, and then all the ets's. Itchy for this gun. As a matter of interest, do they remove the barrel from the action when doing the epps mod? Heard the barrel wrench sometimes crack the action?

If my time must come, let it be when I am protecting my loved ones. Let there be a pile of brass scattered around me and a pile of my enemies at my feet. Let my slides be locked open on empty mags and my knife broken. Let my face be bloody from biting the throat of my last foe and let me be wearing a necklace of fresh ears. Take me to Your Heavens and let me hear the laughter of my children as they reenact the fight and I will rest peacefully.- Edelweiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Boetman View Post
    Ja, saw that site, didnt see the link to the reloading data though. Will make a plan. First got to get it on my name, and then all the ets's. Itchy for this gun. As a matter of interest, do they remove the barrel from the action when doing the epps mod? Heard the barrel wrench sometimes crack the action?

Those guns were made at a least 3 different factories in the usa for the P17 and I assume the P14 were made at the same factories, but I am not sure. The action ring is a little thin and it is said barrels were torqued on very tight. There are stories of cracked receiver rings. I hope they can rechamber without taking it off the receiver.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Ja mine is a ERA, which sounds like cracks when the barrel gets removed. If that happens, sure the gunsmith will replace it, he is a lekker guy.

Production facilities of P14 and P17 facilities. Wiki
    Production history
    Designed 1917
    Manufacturer Winchester Repeating Arms Company, Remington Arms, Eddystone Arsenal
    No. built 2,193,429 total
    These same three facilities also made the P14
    Production history

The primary contractor (Vickers) was unable to produce more than a handful of rifles, so the P14 became a de facto afterthought. The Short Magazine Lee–Enfield therefore remained the standard British rifle during World War I and beyond.
    The need for additional small arms combined with a shortage of spare industrial capacity led the British government to contract with U.S. commercial arms manufacturers, Winchester, Remington and Eddystone (a subsidiary of Remington set up principally to manufacture the P14) to produce the P14 for the British before the US entered the war in 1917. Problems were encountered with specifications, quality and shortage of machine tools and skilled workers, with the result that the first rifles were not accepted by British inspectors until February 1916. Shortly afterwards a modification was made to enlarge the bolt lugs and the rifle became the Mark I*. However, each factory produced slightly differing parts, leading to interchangeability issues; Winchester was particularly troublesome in this regard, going so far as to refuse for months to change to the new Mark I* standard. Therefore, the official designation of the rifle was dependent upon its manufacturer: e.g., the Pattern 1914 Mk I W and Pattern 1914 Mk I* W is a Mk I or Mk I* of Winchester manufacture, R would be Remington, or E for Eddystone.
    The P14's principal combat use during World War I was as a sniper rifle, since it was found to be more accurate than the Short Magazine Lee–Enfield, either in standard issue form or with modified "fine-adjustment" aperture rearsights designated Pattern 1914 Mk I W (F) and Pattern 1914 Mk I* W (F) or, from April 1918,[1] Aldis Pattern 1918 telescopic sights designated Pattern 1914 Mk I* W (T) (modified and telescopic sights were mainly used on Winchester-manufactured rifles, the Winchesters being thought to be of superior quality).[2] Eventually Winchester would manufacture 235,293 rifles, Remington 400,000 and Eddystone 600,000, totaling 1,235,293 rifles.
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Jine barnetmill, you just a regular book of knowledge. Thanks alot

Many of my relatives had P17 rifles that they purchased via the NRA in the old days from US miliary arsenals and when I was young they sold for $30 each out the door. I got mine in West Madison Avenue about 1960 in Chicago from Klein's Sporting goods. Just a mile west of loop. Things have sure changed since then.

Due to the fact that there is such a variance in brass dimensions, reloading case life is short for Br. 303. It headspaces on the rim of the case, so the improved case, once fire formed, should give increased case life due to kind of of fore and aft support with most of the taper taken out. I did a similar one with a 30-06 by rechambering to a 30 Gibbs. It very much increased velocities with the heavier weight bullets. Excellent case life once the cases were formed. I found a reduced load with the bullets a kind of crushed fit (bullets touching the rifle lands, prevented fore and aft movement when the firing pin struck the primer). Advantage of blowing out the case, and a shortened neck with sharper shoulders, is added powder capacity. The wildcat caliber you plan on was a popular conversion in Canada when I was a kid.

Shot mate, ja quite anxious to get it done