Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    I did enjoy Jeff Gurwitch's article. He has an offset Eotech MRDS so he doesn't need BUIS.

I was surprised at the plethora of quad rails but the article may be slightly dated. Everything is mlok or Keymod now with only a few holdouts.

5 out of 5 of my AR's have back up sights since 3 out of 5 don't have primary optics...... I hadn't thought much about QD mounts for primary optics until this thread and that will be something I will most certainly consider in budget for outfitting the rest of the collection.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

And on it goes...

My rifles have BUIS.
    Competition is not fighting...sorry kids...all the articles in the world won't change that.
    I don't give a flying canine fornication what Gurwitch thinks about my rifles or my position on the importance of BUIS.
    If I see a combat rifle without sights, I will think the user is either a cheapskate, or doesn't know what he doesn't know.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I think most are in agreement that there is a need for an Alternative Sighting System, be it BUIS or offset sights. I think the guy in the article is saying that he doesn't want a third sighting system since he is using an offset system.

An offset system has the glaring weakness of being unusable if one has to change sides. The BUIS may not be usable with certain magnified optics. If you have a QD mount on your magnified optics, then you keep the advantage of ambidextrous use with BUIS. If you are never going to shoot off-handed (like a gamer or a monocular shooter), then the offset will be the way to go.

I do think for most people, the BUIS are solution.

There is no sin in running improved irons if you can't afford a decent dot or holosight-style scope. By 'decent' I donot mean NC Star or Walmart or airsoft. Wildly varying quality control is not a wise investment, too. Thanks to Gabe Suarez, I now consider Holosun to be the baseline for 'decent' quality. My Holosun gold dot works very well, too. My improved irons set up? Troy Industries SOCC rear sight in conjunction with a Blitzkrieg Components LLC luminescent green triangle atop my self-pimped M&P 15 Sport 2. Works rather well for me, also. I look at it this way: insurance policy. If my gold dot conks out, improved irons. If my improved irons conk out. Why corner paint yourself with an 'ether or' mindset, too?

h
    The 2cd Amendment has no technological cut off date!
    The extermination of Islam before my dhimmitude!
    8-10-3 forever!
    The operative formerly known as Pug Puppy
    COBRA!

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ... If I see a combat rifle without sights, I will think the user is either a cheapskate, or doesn't know what he doesn't know.
    And, there it is. More fake philosophies are based on cowardice or stinginess than on experience or research.

--ML

Quote Originally Posted by uglydog03 View Post
    Is a parachute necessary ? Life jacket ? Helmet ? Spare tire ?
    I've worn helmets and life jackets but never "needed" either one . Things do not always go as planned . Personally , I would prefer to have a plan A, B , C and sometimes D.
    Toting around extra stuff (especially something so unobtrusive as BUIS) is better than having broken shit and no alternative .
    Iím in my 7th decade, and have only needed a fire extinguisher once in my life - but I needed it! Glad I had it there.

geezer john

Quote Originally Posted by WOLF220 View Post
    Out of the thousands upon thousands of rounds I've shot out of my AR's, never once did I ever have my back up irons come loose. A couple drops of blue locktite on the threads of the screws is cheap insurance. I also think buis of quality, Troy, magpul, ggg, etc. are plenty robust. There are folding buis that may look like the brands I mentioned but they are cheap airsoff knockoffs. Utter garbage.
    I’m actually a red loctite guy for sights, but I suppose that has nothing to do with anything.

I keep iron sights on my firearms, if for no other reason than I enjoy shooting with them now and again. For those of us who have the sense it takes to actually sight those sights in, it all seems like the most natural thing in the world. I would imagine there must be plenty, though, who would have not one clue how to actually zero and use those sights.

I was on a another forum week before last where I saw someone post that they cleaned their AR now and again so that they wouldn’t forget how to dis-assemble / assemble the BCG. I would think that would be the most natural thing in the world, but I guess not. Same with the use of sights — I guess not.

Many times I’ve wondered if you could sell a 4-day class in which you simply taught folks how to use iron sights. Iron sights and fundamentals. Once you know the fundamentals, you can do just about anything.

I bolded ggg in your post. I love everything Arizona, but I would caution anybody to be mindful of what they are purchasing. Those sights will work for damn near all of us. The profile of that rear sight is higher than most, though. If you think you are going to mount (install) that sight and something like a VCOG at the same time, you might not be right. Granted, it’s not real common that someone would try that, but I can tell you, it just doesn’t work.

I have a good time with iron sights, and kind of feel for those who seem to not know how.
    Last edited by SmithEC; 03-10-2020 at 05:45 AM. Reason: changed one word

Im late to this party, but Im in the BUIS side of the yard.

I can break a ball bearing. Ive broken, not worn out, BROKEN 2 Glocks. Yes it can be done with the appropriate amount of force (hit by a car, a recurring job hazard)

I was running out responding to an emergency, and the sight which worked when I grabbed the M4 suddenly didn't. Why? FIIK. But the irons worked fine. You only need to see the reticle 1 second, and gone the next to have this slap you in the face.

Your rifle, your ass. I know what Im running. And the old Quick fire range at Ft Benning almost 40 years ago taught me how to use the front sight housing as a point and shoot inside 25 yards.
    Originally Posted by Gabe Suarez

War is not moral...fighting of any sort, is not moral. It is about killing the adversary. So here is the rule. Do what you need to do to win...have a ready explanation to justify it according to whatever rules you are supposed to be playing with...work only with people you can trust or work alone...then stick to your story and keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithEC View Post
    Many times I’ve wondered if you could sell a 4-day class in which you simply taught folks how to use iron sights. Iron sights and fundamentals. Once you know the fundamentals, you can do just about anything.
    2-day. Appleseed.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle