Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default H&K USP Series Pistols

Gentlemen,

Of the various DA/SA pistols, I have a few favorites that I have consistently shot well (CZ 75, Sig P226, Beretta M9). I have also always shot well with HK USP series pistols. I have an USP 9 in my armory that is one of my favorite sidearms.

Just curious what those among the community that have experience with the platform think?

When I was issued a USP40, I went out and bought 2 Glock 22s and got an exception to policy so I could carry that. (The second Glock was with the realization that if I was ever in a shooting, my gun would be taken and I'd be issued a USP.) I shot the USP well, but I had to work too hard to do it. And it was like trying to CCW a box of Wheaties.

The Department eventually dumped the USP over maintenance issues. HK's "you suck" attitude extended to agencies, too. As (yet another) piece of trivia, I turned that first G22 into my first RMR'd gun. Still have it.

Its not a bad gun. I think it outshines anything with a safety/decock on the slide. If you're a big enough guy and can reach the DA trigger, if that's the variant you have, you can do far worse.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

I reeeeely want to like USPs. Ive owned three of them. I do/did like the various "safety" options. Ultimately I'm a Glock Guy. ....but I do have a Mk23 and Knights suppressor. Its huge and doesn't do much or maybe anything that a G21 or G30 wouldn't do EXCEPT its cool. Ive used it in a couple classes just for the cool factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    it was like trying to CCW a box of Wheaties.
    For a few months, I actually carried a full-size HK USP .45 everyday in an NPE (it was The University of Georgia, not the White House). Eventually I realized how ridiculous that plan was and I scaled back. (I believe I went to a Sig P220.) I liked the USP well enough. I shot it reasonably well. But the cool factor wore off fast and I realized there were better options.
    Virtute et Armis

I have a USP 40. It is an accurate handgun. It is "not" my CCW due what others have said; size. I knew that going in. I purchased it for the "cool" factor. It has a Coyote Tan frame, came with a CT HK bag, & an HK cleaning kit. If I run it, it is in a thigh holster while out in the boonies. It is a flat darker tan than what the photo shows.

K&K USP 40S&W.jpg
    Last edited by Maddog6; 03-21-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    GOOD GUY'S SHOOT AK'S!

The DOG HOUSE is my comfort zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Speed is Life View Post
    The "you suck" meme is total, utter BS in my book, having had zero issues dealing with HK directly over the past fifteen years. There are a lot of competitive reasons to parrot that idea. Easy to carry, easy to shoot, 100% reliable.
    Try ordering 3k roll pins for a thousand guns. And I've watched as 25% of the bike and motor guns malfunction on their first magazine at quals or agency training. Cops in the station or in cars, no problem. But the ones directly exposed to the Sonoran desert needed more babying than one would expect in a modern service pistol.

"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

My experience wasn't in a desert but much of the abuse was the same.

Sand hills, corn and wheat chaff, ton after ton of dust.

The quantity of crud amazing, it fouled a G21 and 1911 to the point of failure
    after a single round.
    yet the USP continued for nigh on a complete magazine.

The incident involved a rookie, a grain bin door and a couple of open patrol car windows.

I will say that the 1911 was the easiest to get running again.

If there was no such thing as Glock, I'd probably be a USP guy. Glock just has the aftermarket support to turn the weapon into what I want it to be. I like the USP better, but you get what you get and you'll damn well like it. Which, as it turns out, I actually do like it. Glocks are just easier to upgrade and find parts and gear for, and mags are a fraction of the price.
    "Charles, I shan't trust you aboard my ship, unless I carry you a prisoner; for I shall have you plotting with my men, knock me on the head and run away with my ship a-pirating."

Gentlemen,

I realize that Glocks are the most popular sidearm in this community and even across this country. I'm not discounting that. I own and carry Glocks. Please keep the discussion focused on the community's use and experience with the USP as a DA/SA system and not a constant comparison to Glocks.

I have not served as an LEO, so I don't have day in and day out experience carrying various sidearms on patrol duty. I do have extensive experience carrying and shooting the Beretta M9 as a Marine Corps officer. Comparing the M9 as a DA/SA pistol to the USP, I much prefer the ergonomics and safety/decocker on the USP. That's not to say that I can't shoot the M9 well and that I don't trust my life to the weapon, they are very reliable and durable weapons.

How many in this community have carried the USP as department issued sidearm, or department allowed sidearm?
    Last edited by USMC1302Colt; 03-22-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1302Colt View Post
    Gentlemen,

I realize that Glocks are the most popular sidearm in this community and even across this country. I'm not discounting that. I own and carry Glocks. Please keep the discussion focused on the community's use and experience with the USP as a DA/SA system and not a constant comparison to Glocks.

I have not served as an LEO, so I don't have day in and day out experience carrying various sidearms on patrol duty. I do have extensive experience carrying and shooting the Beretta M9 as a Marine Corps officer. Comparing the M9 as a DA/SA pistol to the USP, I much prefer the ergonomics and safety/decocker on the USP. That's not to say that I can't shoot the M9 well and that I don't trust my life to the weapon, they are very reliable and durable weapons.

How many in this community have carried the USP as department issued sidearm, or department allowed sidearm?
    Carried a .45 USP twice, my Sgt carried one also.

Not issued, but by choice.

Still prefer the HK to the Glocks.