Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It becomes a Ford/Chevy or BMW/Merc/Audi argument eventually.

Ive handled and shot the USP, shot well, but I hated the mag release, incidentally I hated that type of release on Any pistol so equipped, regardless of who made it.

If it works for YOU and is reliable, run with it. Weve had a few USP come though as personal duty guns. I havent observed any issues during quals or training.

I run glocks because they are easy to Dot, run well, have a simple manual of arms, and with LE pricing are easy to repair/replace if I break something. They arent faultless (like the upgraded recoil springs for gen 4 22's)

In an environment that will practically rust plastic, the only thing that really is affected on the Glock so far (that I have observed) is rust forming on the night sights, the poor guys in the States, Marine division have hell with their sigs in that environment ( the wardens on the water use glocks with no issues). No personal experience on HK in that environment.

To play the other side of that, SEALS/SBS etc. like their HK/Browning systems just fine and they probably had more contact with the wet stuff. Though glock was taking over that field too.

It will be interesting to see how the Sig 320 fairs, will probably score one to play around with, I like the idea of a full size grip and shorter barrel/slide (much like the 659/669 hybrids we made back in the day).
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Not a fan of the USP but the HK45 and HK45C are phenomenal.

Bought a USP9 in 94 while on Active Duty while assigned an M9. Expensive and mags were God Awful Expensive, even Low Cap. Gun was sweet but didn't run reloads reliably. When I got out, it was my Duty Weapon for LE for a few years before I switched over to the G22C and never looked back. The USP stayed in the box until I sold it a few years later.

Since then, I have run Glocks exclusively although I really like the XD and M&Ps that I have borrowed.
    Fletch Fuller
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

“Train Like Others Won't, So You Can Do Those Things That Others Can't.”

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Fletch's Upcoming classes in SW Florida:

CRG-2 Close Range Gunfighting- Naples, Florida June 3-4, 2017

CRG-5 Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting- Naples, Florida August 5-6, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Speed is Life View Post
    Had a bud extolling the HK45C for years. Finally got one. He was right. Pretty much have to buy the DA version and install the LEM kit yourself. 30 minutes, HK sells the kit direct.

For those who may not be familiar- The mag release is designed to be actuated by your trigger finger. Requires no change of grip and is much faster than the primitive thumb buttons found on lesser guns. Push down and in. Only shooters who have difficulty with it are ladies with long fingernaiks.
    I still dislike the mag release, guess its time for a mani/pedi ;)
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Carried 1911s for years, then Glocks (21,30,19,17s) for 23 years.

If you have big bony hands where, with your forearm centered behind the grip, your gun hand finger joints are where the front frame corners are, The USP 45s work very well. Smaller hands may not get good results.
    I find them to shoot very well, particularly the Tactical USPT 45.

The stock USP has been known to digest 6,000 rounds of .45 Super (230gr @ 1100fps) without damage. Reference 2002 American Handgunner Tactical Annual. I read Federal Cartridge had one they used for ammo testing that had digested something like 297,000 rounds with very little fuss, needed some recoil springs.

It is a big blocky reliable durable pistol. I find that much like the Glocks, I can lock down on the squarish grip of a USP better than more rounded designs. YMMV.

On the mag release. If I move my shooting hand thumb to the mag release with the slight grip shift I require on 1911, Glock HK etc... I use the exact same down diagonal thumb motion on the HKs as on Glocks, 1911s etc.... With my left hand I use my trigger finger and have no issues with either the Glock etc... button or the HK lever. I do not train to use my right trigger finger on the HK lever because I do not want a HK only habit.
    I have done these manipulations in the dark and in a hurry and it works for me. YMMV.
    Last edited by cmcampbell; 03-29-2017 at 09:13 PM.

I like them. Modularity is a plus. I discovered the LEM trigger recently and have been looking at a full size USP LEM like a hammer fired Glock.

I have liked the several DA/SA USP triggers that I have experienced. The DA pulls were not much different than the average M9 pull to me. SA resets fairly close and light. Works for me.

The USP to me is greater than the sum of its parts. Modular options, reported durability/reliability, workable trigger, LEM options are clear winners for me. I don't really give a shit about the rail. Little stuff like the huge trigger guard, heft, aesthetics (yes), smoothness of action, and the lower AIWB profile of a traditional DA/SA gun are also more or less objective selling points for me, but ultimately, I just like the damn things. Forgot to add that they've all been soft shooters for me as well. Possibly not as fast as a Glock or M&P, but I don't feel like I have to fight tooth and nail to justify that on this forum.

I found an OD green USP .40 LEM for a steal recently, and it pushed me towards ordering a new USP 9 LEM, which is on its way.

I'd say the HKs are becoming go to guns for me, both the couple of USPs and the P30L that I own. Red dot and comp may be in the P30's future.
    Last edited by TbL; 04-01-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed is Life View Post
    There is a HK USP compatible TLR light/laser now. Newer HK's have standard rails.
    True, I was meaning that the proprietary USP rail is total non-issue for me, since it is often brought up as a shortcoming.

GG&G picatinny rail adapter.

I happened to be at the Army SWCS during the trial period for the HK USP in the early years of searching beyond the M9... I liked shooting it, never saw any real issues as we sent thousands of round downrange through them, and I liked the bulkier pistol taking more of the recoil from me as we shot NATO 9mm ball. Would I buy one now personally? No. Overpriced for what you can get elsewhere.
    T W O T U Since October 2012