Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
    Try ordering 3k roll pins for a thousand guns. And I've watched as 25% of the bike and motor guns malfunction on their first magazine at quals or agency training. Cops in the station or in cars, no problem. But the ones directly exposed to the Sonoran desert needed more babying than one would expect in a modern service pistol.
    What lube? I carry mine in an extremely dry environment- we went to a light grease. Oil evaporates. Shot a USP40C for 1800 rounds without cleaning or adding lube. Slowed down a bit at the end, but no malfunctions. I've got over 100,000 rounds total out of several USPs, HK45's and several P2000's without a problem.

I have heard of firing pin failures in USP's built prior to 2005. The firing pin was redesigned and replaced in all of our slides. I changed my personal ones at that time as well.

People naturally have their favorite platforms, but the BS on HK is largely just that. Like the hothead around who used hang around here who bulged his barrel due to a squib and raged against HK for not replacing it for free. The barrel did exactly what it was designed to do...

Biggest negative is that the USP slide doesn't have enough "meat" to facilitate milling.
    Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth;
    A stranger, and not your own lips.
    Proverbs 27:2

You will fight like you train...

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1302Colt View Post
    Gentlemen,

I realize that Glocks are the most popular sidearm in this community and even across this country. I'm not discounting that. I own and carry Glocks. Please keep the discussion focused on the community's use and experience with the USP as a DA/SA system and not a constant comparison to Glocks.

I have not served as an LEO, so I don't have day in and day out experience carrying various sidearms on patrol duty. I do have extensive experience carrying and shooting the Beretta M9 as a Marine Corps officer. Comparing the M9 as a DA/SA pistol to the USP, I much prefer the ergonomics and safety/decocker on the USP. That's not to say that I can't shoot the M9 well and that I don't trust my life to the weapon, they are very reliable and durable weapons.

How many in this community have carried the USP as department issued sidearm, or department allowed sidearm?
    Carried a .45 USP twice, my Sgt carried one also.

Not issued, but by choice.

Still prefer the HK to the Glocks.

It becomes a Ford/Chevy or BMW/Merc/Audi argument eventually.

Ive handled and shot the USP, shot well, but I hated the mag release, incidentally I hated that type of release on Any pistol so equipped, regardless of who made it.

If it works for YOU and is reliable, run with it. Weve had a few USP come though as personal duty guns. I havent observed any issues during quals or training.

I run glocks because they are easy to Dot, run well, have a simple manual of arms, and with LE pricing are easy to repair/replace if I break something. They arent faultless (like the upgraded recoil springs for gen 4 22's)

In an environment that will practically rust plastic, the only thing that really is affected on the Glock so far (that I have observed) is rust forming on the night sights, the poor guys in the States, Marine division have hell with their sigs in that environment ( the wardens on the water use glocks with no issues). No personal experience on HK in that environment.

To play the other side of that, SEALS/SBS etc. like their HK/Browning systems just fine and they probably had more contact with the wet stuff. Though glock was taking over that field too.

It will be interesting to see how the Sig 320 fairs, will probably score one to play around with, I like the idea of a full size grip and shorter barrel/slide (much like the 659/669 hybrids we made back in the day).
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Not a fan of the USP but the HK45 and HK45C are phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer27 View Post
    Not a fan of the USP but the HK45 and HK45C are phenomenal.
    Had a bud extolling the HK45C for years. Finally got one. He was right. Pretty much have to buy the DA version and install the LEM kit yourself. 30 minutes, HK sells the kit direct.

For those who may not be familiar- The mag release is designed to be actuated by your trigger finger. Requires no change of grip and is much faster than the primitive thumb buttons found on lesser guns. Push down and in. Only shooters who have difficulty with it are ladies with long fingernaiks.
    Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth;
    A stranger, and not your own lips.
    Proverbs 27:2

You will fight like you train...

Bought a USP9 in 94 while on Active Duty while assigned an M9. Expensive and mags were God Awful Expensive, even Low Cap. Gun was sweet but didn't run reloads reliably. When I got out, it was my Duty Weapon for LE for a few years before I switched over to the G22C and never looked back. The USP stayed in the box until I sold it a few years later.

Since then, I have run Glocks exclusively although I really like the XD and M&Ps that I have borrowed.
    Fletch Fuller
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

“Train Like Others Won't, So You Can Do Those Things That Others Can't.”

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Fletch's Upcoming classes in SW Florida:

CRG-2 Close Range Gunfighting- Naples, Florida June 3-4, 2017

CRG-3 Advanced Gunfighting- Naples, Florida July 1-2, 2017

CRG-5 Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting- Naples, Florida August 5-6, 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Speed is Life View Post
    Had a bud extolling the HK45C for years. Finally got one. He was right. Pretty much have to buy the DA version and install the LEM kit yourself. 30 minutes, HK sells the kit direct.

For those who may not be familiar- The mag release is designed to be actuated by your trigger finger. Requires no change of grip and is much faster than the primitive thumb buttons found on lesser guns. Push down and in. Only shooters who have difficulty with it are ladies with long fingernaiks.
    I still dislike the mag release, guess its time for a mani/pedi ;)
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time