Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dealt with this at my old job. We had to qualify every 6 months with both Glock and M16. We would have to fight some to get them to practice ON THE CLOCK AND WITH COMPANY AMMO! They never wanted to practice, they never wanted to spend time on even the basics. Then they would fight you when it was actual time to qualify. AND then blame me when they shot piss poor! Had one Einstein tell me we shouldn't be practicing "just shooting" but running through the qualifying course over and over again. I told him when he could shoot a group smaller than a dinner plate (something he was well acquainted with) at 7 yards, then we would worry about the course. Even had the union president go to the boss and complain that the training staff were not doing their jobs because to many were shooting to low of scores.

When you get folks fighting against going to the range while being paid, and shooting ammo bought by someone else, then you got a problem.

What pissed me off most where the ones I had to train how to shoot every 6 months. We would have to go through the same basics with them and get them trained up so they could qualify (barely). They would actually forget in 6 months (I guess they never learned it in the first place)
    Last edited by Ragsbo; 03-20-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    I rather you hated me for who I am than love me for who I ain't!
    This Ain't the Movies, and You Ain't John Wayne!

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a 12 pound sledgehammer!
    TRAIN HARD= SOONER OR LATER YOU"LL NEED IT!

My area is better than average in this regard. I'd guess that 80% of the cops in my area would rank in the top 20% of shooters within LE nationwide. That said, there are still some idiots. And making the top 20% really doesn't require that much.

Several of the most gifted shooters that I have known in life did police work, but they all went to it as Gabe said--they were fighters and shooters first, and then got the job. One of the best benefits that LE offers is that it normalizes warrior behavior. If you carry a gun and spend a lot of time training to fight, you are crazy and paranoid. But if you carry a gun and spend a lot of time training to fight and you are a cop, then you are just well-prepared. If LE itself loses this attribute; if it becomes weird to be a warrior even within LE, then the future of the profession is screwed.
    Virtute et Armis

Some of the best shooters I know are current or former LE.

Some of the worst shooters I have seen are current or former LE.

Like so many things, people self-select. That as far more to do with any sort of skill development than job description. LE and military have a much greater probability of using those skills...but whether you're Mil, LE or civilian you first have to WANT to be good.

Desire and discipline are necessary. Both are in short supply.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post

Like so many things, people self-select. That as far more to do with any sort of skill development than job description. LE and military have a much greater probability of using those skills...but whether you're Mil, LE or civilian you first have to WANT to be good.

Very true and when those with the desire and discipline are rewarded the same as those without it, what is the result? Just what we are now seeing.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

And I will add something to this. Its not only LE as I have trained with SF guys and SEALs that were some of the best, as well as some of the worst shots i have seen. One guy I recall asking if he really was what he said (his buddies were laughing at him while i asked). Just like not all Black belts have the ability to kill you with their hands, assume nothing about skill because someone has a badge...or the right tab on his uniform.
    Gabe Suarez

We cut our enemy's throats with Occam's Razor

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post

Well said.