Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcord View Post
    Back before desert storm, everyone I knew had a ruck gun. I took mine to desert storm, didn't bring it back though. Dumpster diving at the barracks in Saudi prior to departure was interesting.
    So he could have taken a Glock 26 to Iraq and back during Desert Storm? Hell, my bad if I was wrong but the other servicemen from that time including my USMC brother in law say this was impossible- especially getting the gun back home.

Quote Originally Posted by IANative View Post
    I've forgotten all the times I've heard, "You don't want a Glock; you want a (insert brand here) 'cause it's a lot safer than a Glock." But my favorite...

Commando (showing customer a Kimber 1911 of some sort): "The 1911 in .45 ACP is really the only serious choice for a personal defense handgun."
    Customer: "What's that you're carrying?"
    Commando: "This? Well this is a Kel-Tec PF9, but..."
    I was part of a similar conversation back in my college days. I was poor and young and experimented with a lot of carry options. We didn't have legal concealed carry in our state at the time, so around campus and in the city we were pretty discrete. Among others I used to pocket carry an Iver Johnson TP-22 with CCI Stingers. The TP-22 was a cheapass clone of the Walther TPH, only it worked reliably and accurately (well, compared to the USA stainless TPHs). I loved showing off hitting paper plates at 25 yards with it.

Anywho, I was working at my favorite shop between classes and a customer was bragging incessantly about his Armand Swenson .45 (or Austin Behlert or someone equally popular at the time). He said it was the only gun worth carrying and everything else was crap. (I'm paraphrasing.) Semi-impressed but 100% interested, I asked to see it.

Customer: "Hell, I ain't carrying with me. I might scratch it up! That's an expensive gun!"

Me: <Pull out the TP-22, laid it on the countertop> "Bang, you're dead."

As I remember, he preferred to talk with other clerks after that, which was fine with me.

FWIW, the owner of my LGS has a list of nonsense he thought about putting in a book. The most irritating crap I've personally seen didn't even have anything to do with guns: Dudes coming in to buy something, knowing they are gonna get pinged by the state police when the shop calls in for a clearance. It happens all the time, and when they get denied they say, "Heck, my lawyer said that was wiped off my record."
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

He was nice enough guy for 350 lbs.

We were talking about carry guns and extra mags. He had a 1911 in a leather hip holster.

"If I end up needing more than 10 rounds, its time to run."

So I have to assume that the real man is more like 160 and he is in a fat man suit.... cuz if thats not the case, extra bullets are definitely the better option. Plus, if running was an option in the first shouldnt that have been his opening move instead of the finale?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
    One God, Yahweh.

Point of historical clarification - the Glock 26 was made available in 1994 - 4 years after Desert Shield and 3 years after Desert Storm.
    From his weapons on the open road no man should step one pace away; you don't know for certain when you're out on the road when you might have need of your spear. Havamal 38

NRA Certified Instructor, Glock Certified Armorer, Gunsmith, Veteran.

"If you drop a Glock on the ground, it'll go off." "The Taurus Judge is the ideal home defense gun." "No, we don't have any Magpul Glock magazines in stock, because Magpul doesn't make Glock magazines."

These kind of people are a big reason why I buy my guns and gear from SI. You definitely won't hear any of this garbage from Mike or Josh.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Quote Originally Posted by Kelveren View Post
    "If I end up needing more than 10 rounds, its time to run."
    This opinion reflects a pattern that extends way beyond gun store commandos. Everyone is convinced that what they do is reasonable, and what everyone else does is either too much or too little.

Any man who doesn't carry as much ammo or as large a gun as me is unprepared. A man who carries more than me is paranoid.

Any man who drives slower than me needs to grow a pair and learn how to keep up with traffic. A man who drives faster than me is reckless.

This applies to everything in life--how much we work, how much alcohol/coffee/beef we consume, the size of our homes, the cost of our cars, and even the frequency of sex. In our own minds, we typify what is good (not necessarily what is normal). Everyone else is a deviant.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    This opinion reflects a pattern that extends way beyond gun store commandos. Everyone is convinced that what they do is reasonable, and what everyone else does is either too much or too little.

Any man who doesn't carry as much ammo or as large a gun as me is unprepared. A man who carries more than me is paranoid.

Any man who drives slower than me needs to grow a pair and learn how to keep up with traffic. A man who drives faster than me is reckless.

This applies to everything in life--how much we work, how much alcohol/coffee/beef we consume, the size of our homes, the cost of our cars, and even the frequency of sex. In our own minds, we typify what is good (not necessarily what is normal). Everyone else is a deviant.
    I totally agree, but I think the "if I need more than 10 rounds" is more than that.

More rounds gives you options, obviously. Say you're taking on an active shooter and fire 10 rounds, but he is still up... maybe getting out of there is the best option at that point and time, who knows? But if all you carried were those 10, then good luck trying anything else. You're stuck with one good option.

We carry more so we can make choices when we need to. People that say "I only need 10 rounds" and "better give up after that" show that they lack a true warrior "never quit" mentality. That's why we carry as much as we physically, and conveniently, can.

Its a fundamental difference in this case. Driving fast or slow? Definitely a sliding scale for sure.
    You shouldn't be thinking 'oh God, I'm in a gunfight', you should be saying 'THANK GOD I'M IN A GUNFIGHT!' " - Gabe Suarez

"The man becomes the weapon, everything else is a tool" -Sonny P

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCadet84 View Post
    That's why we carry as much as we physically, and conveniently, can.
    "Conveniently" is the qualifier that allows you to apply your own perspective. There is a man who carries two G34s, three spare 21-rd magazines, a 4" fixed blade, two 3.5" folders, and a G43. He considers your EDC to be woefully inadequate and would criticize you for your lack of options. To him, you are so under-armed that you may as well have a J-frame and no reloads. Somewhere in the world, there is a man who considers that man to be under-armed.
    Virtute et Armis

"Conveniently" is the qualifier that allows you to apply your own perspective. There is a man who carries two G34s, three spare 21-rd magazines, a 4" fixed blade, two 3.5" folders, and a G43. He considers your EDC to be woefully inadequate and would criticize you for your lack of options. To him, you are so under-armed that you may as well have a J-frame and no reloads. Somewhere in the world, there is a man who considers that man to be under-armed.
    Ah, I see. Well I wouldn't mind carrying his load out, but the "convenience" I require in life definitely doesn't allow that. Good point

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    You shouldn't be thinking 'oh God, I'm in a gunfight', you should be saying 'THANK GOD I'M IN A GUNFIGHT!' " - Gabe Suarez

"The man becomes the weapon, everything else is a tool" -Sonny P

George pretty well summed up this typical sort of thinking, in humor though.
    https://youtu.be/XWPCE2tTLZQ
    “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” George Orwell

"Calling Ron Paul an isolationist is like calling your neighbor a 'hermit'
    because he doesn't come over and break your windows.
    "