Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Doesn't the 6.5 Grendel use different mags?

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher View Post
    Doesn't the 6.5 Grendel use different mags?
    Yes and from what I am seeing Elanders are the preferred option for functionality
    Greg Nichols- Who you are 5 years from now is directly related to the books you read, who you associate with, and how you spend your free time.

www.Tiptoeintocrypto.com - How to get started with Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.

Flyfisher - yes, there are 6.5 Grendel mags readily available, and prices are very reasonable. I use the ASC stainless steel mags (one is in my SBR pictured earlier); they use different colored followers for each caliber and allow longer ammo, out to 2.300" OAL, vs 2.260" for GI or Magpul 5.56 mags. They are generally ~$15-$20. I have some of each in 5.56, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.8 SPC, all seem to be great quality.

Edel - I agree with the need for optimum shoulder support and cheek weld for long distance shooting. That's why it's nice to have SBR and pistol lowers, and with the AR being modular, one can swap lowers around as needed for carry, travel, etc. The improvements in arm braces are nice though, I see the appeal in some of those.
    Last edited by Yondering; 05-09-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Interesting concept. Barrel life could be an issue. But having a backpack size pistol capable of hitting at 500 meters definitely interests me.
    Masters in Warfare-OEF Class of 2002-2003, 2006-2007
    Majors: Offensive Terminal Ballistics and Overseas Bovine Scatology

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I have an old Sig brace kicking around somewhere (don't we all?). I may try that on it while I look at some of the others. I'm guessing the KAK Blade will be a little intense but I'll try that too and report. Heck, maybe I'll do an SBR lower some day too just for giggles.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by David Bowman View Post
    Interesting concept. Barrel life could be an issue. But having a backpack size pistol capable of hitting at 500 meters definitely interests me.
    Why would pistol barrel life be any different than rifle barrel life? The Grendel isn't particularly hard on barrels as far as I know.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 05-10-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

The SAAMI pressure spec on the Grendel is 52,000 psi, it will never be a barrel burner, even in a short barrel. The Grendel is a very mild round to work with and still delivers more performance than many of the higher pressure rounds you can shoot. When the Grendel started life one of the knocks on it was that it broke bolt lugs
    but that came from hot loading trying to make it something it is not. The bolt problem went away years ago, with the advent of better materials and manufacturing.
    People trying to use cheap 7.62x39 bolts caused alot of the early bolt breakage. I would strongly suggest sticking with a SAAMI spec chamber barrel and the correct bolt is the best way to go. About the only current problem,if you want to call it that, is there are vendors chambering barrels that are not SAAMI spec but their own version and then using 7.62x39 bolts that are of poorer quality than SAAMI spec Grendel bolts. There are good quality 7.62x39 bolts out there but they still are not as good as getting a bolt built to SAAMI specs. Especially if you want to run some of the steel case ammo, the SAAMI spec bolt was designed for that from the start.
    Same with the magazine issue, today it is no problem. I prefer the Elanders but other newly manufactured mags work fine. I still have some of the first Grendel mags
    made and many of them required bending the mag lips to get them to feed properly and they still were not all that good. All the negatives that were thrown up over the years are long gone. Plus you can buy steel case plinking ammo from Wolf and high quality loaded ammo from multiple vendors and that list is expanding all the time. Or just load your own, it is an easy case to work with and brass last a long time at the low pressures it works at. I guess you can tell I am a fan and have owned multiple Grendel rifles over the years and never been disappointed in the performance of any of them. The Grendel forum over at www.65grendel.com is the place for as much info as you could ever need. There was a group buy on 12" barrels that has ended but there will be more, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by babue View Post
    The SAAMI pressure spec on the Grendel is 52,000 psi, it will never be a barrel burner, even in a short barrel. The Grendel is a very mild round to work with and still delivers more performance than many of the higher pressure rounds you can shoot. When the Grendel started life one of the knocks on it was that it broke bolt lugs
    but that came from hot loading trying to make it something it is not. The bolt problem went away years ago, with the advent of better materials and manufacturing.
    People trying to use cheap 7.62x39 bolts caused alot of the early bolt breakage. I would strongly suggest sticking with a SAAMI spec chamber barrel and the correct bolt is the best way to go. About the only current problem,if you want to call it that, is there are vendors chambering barrels that are not SAAMI spec but their own version and then using 7.62x39 bolts that are of poorer quality than SAAMI spec Grendel bolts. There are good quality 7.62x39 bolts out there but they still are not as good as getting a bolt built to SAAMI specs. Especially if you want to run some of the steel case ammo, the SAAMI spec bolt was designed for that from the start.
    Same with the magazine issue, today it is no problem. I prefer the Elanders but other newly manufactured mags work fine. I still have some of the first Grendel mags
    made and many of them required bending the mag lips to get them to feed properly and they still were not all that good. All the negatives that were thrown up over the years are long gone. Plus you can buy steel case plinking ammo from Wolf and high quality loaded ammo from multiple vendors and that list is expanding all the time. Or just load your own, it is an easy case to work with and brass last a long time at the low pressures it works at. I guess you can tell I am a fan and have owned multiple Grendel rifles over the years and never been disappointed in the performance of any of them. The Grendel forum over at www.65grendel.com is the place for as much info as you could ever need. There was a group buy on 12" barrels that has ended but there will be more, I am sure.
    My bad. I think I was thinking of the Creedmore. This sounds like a better way to go; because I didn't think of the issues regarding magazines and bolts.

Consider me educated.
    Masters in Warfare-OEF Class of 2002-2003, 2006-2007
    Majors: Offensive Terminal Ballistics and Overseas Bovine Scatology

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Doc, Ive just been doing dry training with two "pistols", (in my case both QC10-9mm ARs--one is the AR9mmK with 5" barrel that I put together awhile back and the other is a 10.5" 9mm--my intent was a MP5Kesque gun and a full size MP5ish) I jus added the Gearhead Tailhook brace to the "K" gun with a folding buffer and the SBPDW brace to the full size gun. Im really impressed by both of those braces. I get that you want to "start" with what you have on hand BUT don't let that "limit" you the new braces are waaaay beyond the SIG brace and I think the Shockwave too

My bad. I think I was thinking of the Creedmore. This sounds like a better way to go; because I didn't think of the issues regarding magazines and bolts.

Consider me educated.
    That makes more sense. Even the Creedmoor isn't really a barrel burner per se, but barrels chambered for it it definitely have shorter life than these smaller rounds like 5.56 and Grendel where you can reasonably expect good accuracy after 5,000+ rounds down the barrel.