Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    A little more short barrel data. Precision Firearms builds a lot of high end Grendel barrels and also loads custom ammo for the Grendel.
    Impressive accuracy for any short barreled gun. Mark, the owner of Precision Firearms is a straight up guy he would not make anything up.

Just thought I would let you guys know about a test we did recently on Short Barrels. We tested:

7.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups averaged 1.5 Inches 2000 FPS 123 Match King
    8.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups Averaged 1.4 Inches 2100 FPS 123 Match King
    10.5 Bartlien at 100 Yards. Groups averaged .9 Inches 2200 FPS 123 Match King
    12.5 Lilja Blank Chambered by PF at 100 Yards. Groups .75 2300 FPS 123 Match King
    14.5 Lilja Blank Chambered by PF at 100 Yards. Groups .5 2350 FPS 123 Match King
    14.5 Krieger at 100 Yards. Groups averaged .38 2375 FPS 123 MatchKing

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Interesting. I agree with the decision to go down to 12.5". That should be a spectacularly long range rifle for such a short barrel. I remain more intrigued by the Creedmor than the Grendel, but I can see a role for both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have an 18" Grendel rifle as well. It's a great gun and much more capable than anything else on an AR15 lower. But, for all of its "pros", I have an ongoing debate in my mind about its advantages as compared to the 308 or the 5.56. There are advantages to be sure, but the 308 and 5.56 have advantages as well. These debates always end up in a stalemate in my mind.

Conversely, the 6.5 Grendel Pistol is head and shoulders above its competition in almost all respects. I have a number of excellent rifles in my safe. If I could only keep one, it would be this one.

No contest.

None of the others are able to do all that it does and few of them do anything much better than it does.

We used to talk about the requirements of a fighting rifle being head shots at 200 yards and body shots at 600 yards. The 6.5 Grendel pistol should do both without breaking a sweat. And it does so with more energy than any of the carbine calibers do even with full-length barrels. It's legally concealable and (with the Dolos system and a Law folder) fits into an absurdly small package.

Match ammo is available everywhere I buy ammo and Wolf practice/plinking ammo is 25 cents a round. This little rascal has every gun in my safe feeling nervous and with good cause. :0)
    Last edited by DogDoc; 06-12-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Ugggghhh now I'm getting the wants. I decided when I started getting into ARs that I would go all-in on Blackout​, and I love the AR pistol. But now?

Ugggghhh.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Ugggghhh now I'm getting the wants. I decided when I started getting into ARs that I would go all-in on Blackout​, and I love the AR pistol. But now?

Ugggghhh.
    I have two 300 Blackout pistols. I never thought the extra velocities from a 16" barrel was worth the length when it performs so admirably from a shorty. When I first got into the blackout it was for the suppressed, subsonic ammo. I was going to set up the ultimate, quiet HD gun. But studying the ballistics a bit I learned pretty quickly that the lack of expansion of the subsonic bullets made it a poor choice for indoor work. I've transitioned to a suppressed 45 acp SI Glock PDW for that role. The energy is almost identical and the bullets are actually designed to expand well at those velocities.

I can still see a role for a 300 BLK pistol/SBR. It's much nicer to shoot from a short barrel than 5.56 and supersonic ammo performs really well within a few hundred yards. For most applications, that's more than adequate. But as soon as you start wanting to reach beyond 300 yards, it really isn't the best tool anymore. It can do it, but it doesn't want to do it...it's not what was designed to do. The Grendel cartridge wants to fly. It's just the nature of the bullet. Both 5.56 and 300 BLK will be pretty devastating to a target up close. But when you go beyond 300 hundred yards or so, only the Grendel is still smiling and still hitting with real authority.

In the early days, the Grendel had a lot of teething pains. Ammo was hard to come by and expensive, the bolts were weak and prone to failure and there weren't good, reliable mags readily available. All of those problems are in the past now. I think 6.5 Grendel is really coming into its own and folks would do well to give it a serious look again...especially in the SBR/Pistol configuration.
    Last edited by DogDoc; 06-13-2017 at 04:48 AM.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Hi guys, I can't seem to let this idea go....

I already have an AR that is SBR'd , so it would be fairly straightforward to try the Grendel. How are the 2 guns actually performing as far as accuracy and especially reliability ?
    I have found someone who makes short Grendel barrels , but I'm unsure about the size of the gas port or buffer weight .

Thanks for any input !! mike

PS: TO DogDoc...I see you're in south-central Idaho..... i'm in north central Idaho....We're "neighbors" !! haha

I'm ashamed to say I haven't shot mine as much as I'd like and nothing past 50 yards, just too busy this summer, so I can't give any real accuracy reports other than it seems to shoot reasonably well with every load I've tried. I've fired ~250 rounds of various handloads and Wolf FMJ with no hint of any reliability issues. I was surprised to see the Wolf ammo shot better than I expected, ~3/4" for 5-6 rounds at 50 yards although that was just messing around and not a real accuracy test.

As to port size and buffer weight - I started with small ports in these barrels and worked up until the Wolf ammo cycled reliably. I don't have the port size handy right now though. I tune all my stuff to work with standard carbine buffers; I haven't found any need to use heavier buffers if the rest of the system is tuned correctly.

If you're buying a barrel that might have an oversized gas port, just plan on using an adjustable gas block. I like Seekins for a set-and-forget style.

Thanks for the info !! I like the idea of being able to use Wolf ammo ( cheaper) when I'm just practicing. I already have a little Howa in Grendel and it's surprisingly accurate with the Wolf ammo.

Thanks again !! mike