Default Duckbill Shot Diverter

Can someone school me on the "Duckbill" shot diverter. If my memory serves me correct, wasn't this a horizontally elongated muzzle device that was used in Vietnam to widen the shot pattern?

Practical?

Thoughts?

Personally I think it's gayer than Richard Simmons in skinny jeans giving a handie to Liberachi..... but that's just 1 opinion
    AKA: Fuzzy

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    Warlord of the TWOTU

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

If your intended POU is to engage 100 vietcong, reacting to a close ambush in dense, Southeast Asian jungle....it might be a good idea.

For everything else, a modified choke will probably do you just fine.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    Personally I think it's gayer than Richard Simmons in skinny jeans giving a handie to Liberachi..... but that's just 1 opinion
    Gayer then Elton John F**cking a unicorn under a rainbow.
    Geek Warlord
    How do you want to do this?

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator

TWOTU since May 2015

You've got the idea right. There's a modern version available that threads in just like a choke tube. Seems like a product with a fairly limited application.
    Making the bad man go away since 1982.

Al the Duckbill does is give limited lateral spread of the shot at distance, it's function is to assist with large mobs/lines. About the only real application I can see for the device is if you haven't taken the time to learn to lead targets properly or for skipping shot up off of pavement into a crowd. Both of which I would argue can be done with the proper education, training, and practice without the device and be just as effective.

And before someone mentions it. No this isn't going to help breach a door, there isn't enough travel time from the muzzle to the locks or hinges for it to do anything.
    AKA: Fuzzy

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    Warlord of the TWOTU

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

Hahahaha First do a search, we've talked about it before. Second while I may be the only one that will tell you its an "option" worth considering, I know there are others here who have some interest in the idea. Its NOT something you want on every shotgun; but its not a bad idea on a FIGHTING shotgun in a none friendly environment.

Think about it this way, yes a shotgun still has to be aimed; but its more forgiving than a rifle or pistol, and in a "dynamic" situation where you have a shotgun as your primary tool, giving you a SIGNIFICANTLY better chance of making a hit, isn't a bad idea. Yes if you learn to use a shotgun properly and if you apply all those rules when you are being shot at, then you probably don't need it. If you want an advantage, like putting a red dot and brace on a pistol, then maybe its not a horrible idea-in some situations-some.

Essentially its a device that clamps onto (or now screws into a shotgun barrel), that changes the shot pattern from round to a horizontal oval, making it wider than taller. The amount of horizontal spread depends on the distance from the muzzle to the target (much the same way as the "round" shot pattern gets wider with distance. It works best with #4 Buck and smaller. If you think you may need to engage a threat or threats where there are no friendlies down range, then it significantly increases your hit potential. Its not something youd want if you were trying to shoot a load of buckshot at the guy hiding behind your daughter BUT then we already KNOW that's a bad idea anyway.

Another option not addressed might be a diverter that spread the pattern vertically (think ankles to eyebrows), if you anticipate threats wearing armor. Unfortunately they aren't easily found. I only know of one manufacturer and they only make ones that screw into choke tube threads (on externally onto Siaga/Vepr threads), and Ive yet to find an 18" 870 barrel with choke tube threads. If somebody made a clamp on version like the ones used in Viet Nam, Id pay good money for a couple.....

Gabe Suarez

“Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain

Suarez International USA Headquarters