Default SORRY KIDS - THE MOS IS NOT THE BEST OPTION

SORRY KIDS - THE MOS IS NOT THE BEST OPTION

Friday, February 17, 2017

I get questions about this quite often. So at the risk of offending somebody, here is why I think the MOS system is a poorly thought out Compromise and should not be a top choice for those wanting to get into the red dot world of pistols.

The MOS was developed for a single purpose, and excellence for the end-user was not the reason. It was developed so Gaston Glock could sell red dot capable slides to all the cheap bastards that are too cheap to buy a Trijicon RMR or a Leupold Deltapoint Pro. They will glom on to trash like Burris Fastfire and want to install it on their slide.

The MOS was designed to accept any and all red dots and thus it is an exercise in compromise...period. This may not be a concern for GSSF or other pistol games, but those wishing to carry for more serious reasons, here are the problems I have seen with the system.

Problems with the MOS -

1). The Compromise requires a taller mount of the red dot than is necessary causing a much more height-over-bore problem than is desirable. The taller the sights the more variance between red dot and barrel...the more difficulty in shooting well.

2). The Compromise weakens the slide. The cut for the MOS is far lower than I think is safe and I expect in short order, volume shooters will have problems in the extractor area of the slide where it is extremely thin.

3). The Compromise requires an interface plate which is mounted on the slide, very securely...BUT the red dot is mounted onto the plate, which is very thing and gives very little purchase (that meas a secure grip) for the red dot. The loss of red dots (like in flying off the slide) is common with MOS slides...specially with hot ammo and with the heavier calibers. Hell...even the S&W CORE is a better design!

4). Dealer price for a standard Glock 17 is $440....for a MOS it is $540...or $100 more. Milling the slide properly for a tier one red dot like the RMR or the DP Pro, with a lower, and far more secure installation, without all the problems associated with the Compromise, is only $30 more than the difference. So unless somebody simply wants to spend the money for The Compromise, I can think of no good reason to do so.

5). And the cost of a slide, of greater quality than the Glock factory, built from the ground up to accept a Tier one red dot, will be less than the cost of a new Compromise pistol.

So unless the goal is to buy poor gear in order to use a poorer red dot, I am at a loss about what the advantage of The Compromise might be.
    There are far better, and actually more cost-effective, options available.
    Gabe Suarez

“Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Lower bore axis, and more solid overall.

When I heard about the MOS I was enthused, then I learned about the "plate" which added height to the sight plane, and it ruined the whole thing for me.

The only thing holding me back from the RDS on a glock is that I have not yet picked between the Trijicon, or the Delta. I like aspects of both.

It reminds me of those holsters that are "adjustable" to fit this. that, and the other. They work OK for limited use, but i'd rather have a scabbard, made well for ONE weapon- I don't change weapons like my skivvies-as it does what its supposed to do WELL. False economy.

My sherriff carries an MOS with a trijicon RMR. I'm wondering how it will last, he shoots his weapons pretty hard.
    Last edited by Maine1; 02-17-2017 at 03:45 PM.

The smart thing for glock would be negotiate with the RDS makers to settle on a common base size made especially for the glock. Probably will not happen soon, but something like that will happen.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    ....but something like that will happen.
    I don't see it.
    Gabe Suarez

“Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    The smart thing for glock would be negotiate with the RDS makers to settle on a common base size made especially for the glock. Probably will not happen soon, but something like that will happen.
    Yeah standardizing would probably only happen if a military contract dictates a standard interface. Also, variations in design and the high levels of patents keep the footprints different.

When the MOS system first showed up I was skeptical to begin with. SI sells fairly niche products and services, which of course means the consumer audience is rather small compared to the people who think big box, brand name products are automatically superior. Same reason they buy Apple products. If the normies want compromised products, I say they should be welcome to scoop them up by the bushel, just like those on the S&W and the XDs. Let them eat hamburger while we eat steak.
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

It is truly amazing what the mind set is outside of the pirate ship. Just linger at the gun counter at any big outdoor store or even the local gun store and listen to all the cheap Charlies, all the navy seals, and so called experts. They are not even in the same league as the men and mindset of this place. I have found that you cannot reason with most of them. Lots think the MOS because glock makes it is as good as it gets. But these people wouldn't know the difference between quality and shit if it slapped them in the face. Just the other day, I overheard someone saying that a vortex sparc ar is just as good if not better than an Aimpoint. Now don't get me wrong, I own a sparc ar, but it's on my second tier rifle, my go to has an Aimpoint. I just had to butt in and ask the guy how many vortex sparcs he saw on military weapons. When he was adamant that the green berets used them, I had to leave.
    I like that Suarez international caters to those who know and appreciate quality. Especially when it comes to the tools we may use to protect our life or our family's lives. It may take longer to save up to get something, but I know when I order it, I'm getting the best.

And you see...there is nothing wrong with not having the coin to buy a BMW or a Saleen Mustang. We were all broke at some point. But to buy the Scion and then argue that it is just as good as the Saleen is simply an exposition of the stupidity of the speaker. Better to say, "this Scion is all I can afford, but damn...the Mustang is a really nice ride". And then work and save and buy one.
    Gabe Suarez

― Mark Twain

Sounds a bit soft, boss.

WHO ARE YOU, POD PERSON? YOU`RE NOT THE GABE I KNOW!

I kid of course.
    "they have no basis of comparison and have trouble understanding how an education in violence is presented and have to struggle through the internalization of the topic."
    -Greg Nichols

"mediocrity is the order of the day and everyone gets a trophy just for showing up."
    -Shooterb

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I don't see it.
    The reason I think it will eventually happen since what is now being done is wrong. It does not work right.
    People at first complain and accuse the innovator of this and that, and often later with out giving credit imitate and offer the innovator's idea as their own idea.
    It may come due to a federal contract through the military or FBI or some other outfit. I predict it will happen. There are already small enterprises offering the same milling services for the RMR. Not hard to get possession of a SI milled slide and reverse engineer. I guess there are some incompetents that can not, but it is being done now at the small scale and once good ideas are introduce they will grow. The RMR is especially good for those of us in the older generation. I was sold on the concept immediately when you described it here on WT and i am not the brightest person around for sure. I hope soon to equip more of pistols and similar with it as my financial situation improves.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez