Thread: Night Gun

Default Night Gun

BPM AR, Leupold 3X9 VXR Patrol scope, Steiner DBAL A3 Green/IR laser/Illuminator, TNVPVS 14 NOD, YHM Phantom Suppressor. I have an old MICH helmet with an NVG mount to go with the set up. This is my first suppressor and I must say, it's a hell of a lot of fun. Now I need some wild hogs to invade my property.
    nightgun.jpg
    Trump 2016...because f@&k you.

Nice blaster Brother.

How do you like the DBAL A3 ?

v/r

JD

Quote Originally Posted by JD Lester View Post
    Nice blaster Brother.

How do you like the DBAL A3 ?

v/r

JD

Thank you. The DBAL is a good system, light weight and accurate. Combined with the PVS 14, it makes low light shooting a lot of fun.

I know very little about NV. I assume you are wearing the PVS14 over your left eye (if you are right-handed), for use with the DBAL. How does the scope work alongside that? I realize you'll be using one or the other, but how well do the two systems work when set-up side-by-side like this? Are there ever twilight conditions where you might actually be divided on which sighting system is better? In such a scenario, can you easily switch back and forth between the optic with your right eye and the DBAL with your left? And can you still get a decent cheek rest for the optic with the PVS14 in place? Once you've run this a bit, I'd really like to hear what you think about this design.
    Virtute et Armis

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    I know very little about NV. I assume you are wearing the PVS14 over your left eye (if you are right-handed), for use with the DBAL. How does the scope work alongside that? I realize you'll be using one or the other, but how well do the two systems work when set-up side-by-side like this? Are there ever twilight conditions where you might actually be divided on which sighting system is better? In such a scenario, can you easily switch back and forth between the optic with your right eye and the DBAL with your left? And can you still get a decent cheek rest for the optic with the PVS14 in place? Once you've run this a bit, I'd really like to hear what you think about this design.
    LawDog, my apologies. I missed this for a bit then it got lost in the chaos of retiring from the AF, moving to NM, and starting my new job. I do run the PVS 14 over my left eye mounted on a surplus MICH helmet I acquired somewhere. I can move the NV out of the way to get behind the scope but it is a bit awkward. Generally, once it is dark enough to see the IR I just use the NV or just not put the helmet on until it's too dark to use the optic. My military set up was much easier for transitions.

I did find out the local range is open after dark so once things settle down I'll get the system out to run a few scenarios and see if I can better answer your questions.

That's one sweet set up my brother.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Payne View Post
    That's one sweet set up my brother.
    Thanks Jon! I'm very happy with it.