Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gssc View Post
    I've just been powerlifting for a few months. Trying to map what I'm being coached to the squats I see at the end. I'm being pushed to get my hips below my knees on the squat depth. Is that good practice? I realize my coaches are ultimate all about competition (and I'm not). So wondering if meeting the competition depth standard is actually bad for longevity etc.

http://www.usapowerlifting.com/newsl...ce/novice.html
    Squatting below parallel is better for your knees. I don't remember if it's mentioned in the videos above, but it's laid out very well in Rip's book, "Starting Strength", among other places. I recommend competition-depth unless there's a specific medical reason not to.
    ===========================
    Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

The other thing is to video yourself. That is why I have theae. That way I can check technique after the fact. I don't care to have some "trainer" yelling at me while Iift. This way I can lift and then check. I thought I was going deep enough on dips and squats until I began videoing my workouts. Use technology.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Thanks for all the tips. I'm just off to lift! That leads me to another question. My gym does not open until 10am on Sunday's If I had a home setup I'd be done already.

I'm envious of your garage setup and would love equipment recommendations.

Yes, garage set-up cuts out the excuses of getting to the gym.
    ~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"It is good to be strong, but better to know how to use it."
    - Jimmy H. Woo (Chin Siu Dek)

"Conquer we must; as Conquer we shall.”
    - Sir Winston

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Tull View Post
    Yes he was.
    Thank you.

Repressed anger and orneriness can only take you so far. I made a decision to drop weight a few years back. I max'd out at 230 pounds in my early 30s. My bench was never much--300 pounds for a brief and shining moment--but I was the guy who lifted the 750 stack on the old Universal leg press and ran off 30-40 reps.
    I know now I was cheating--free weights and form are a whole different animal--but I had that farmer strength that allowed me to bend the seat on motor pool cars that didn't fit me, I was quick and I could run.
    Fast forward to arthritis and aging. I kept ahead by maintenance weight training, the ERG II and walking. But my joints were painful. I had a laminectomy and nerve damage as part of that cluster. So I dropped a bunch of weight. I was down to 185 at the academy at age 51. Within 2 years I was at 210 and, big surprise, my joints were giving me hell. So I went down to 180 or less and hold steady at 185 or so now.
    But no surprise--I'm slower and not as strong. I just move a lot more easily. I'm not sure the decision to drop that much was the right move.
    I shouldas:
    1. Learned to lift free weights correctly from the start, as a teenager. Gotten a coach, learned form correctly, and gone on from there.
    2. Emphasized stretching.
    3. Done more sprinting instead of extended roadwork.
    4. Remained in a martial arts discipline (I got bored quickly).
    5. Watched my diet (wasn't worried about arthritis then).

I wasted a lot of time.No more. Deciding now how best to proceed. I want to look like Doc Schwartz when I take my dirt nap, at age 110.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Thank you.

Repressed anger and orneriness can only take you so far. I made a decision to drop weight a few years back. I max'd out at 230 pounds in my early 30s. My bench was never much--300 pounds for a brief and shining moment--but I was the guy who lifted the 750 stack on the old Universal leg press and ran off 30-40 reps.
    I know now I was cheating--free weights and form are a whole different animal--but I had that farmer strength that allowed me to bend the seat on motor pool cars that didn't fit me, I was quick and I could run.
    Fast forward to arthritis and aging. I kept ahead by maintenance weight training, the ERG II and walking. But my joints were painful. I had a laminectomy and nerve damage as part of that cluster. So I dropped a bunch of weight. I was down to 185 at the academy at age 51. Within 2 years I was at 210 and, big surprise, my joints were giving me hell. So I went down to 180 or less and hold steady at 185 or so now.
    But no surprise--I'm slower and not as strong. I just move a lot more easily. I'm not sure the decision to drop that much was the right move.
    I shouldas:
    1. Learned to lift free weights correctly from the start, as a teenager. Gotten a coach, learned form correctly, and gone on from there.
    2. Emphasized stretching.
    3. Done more sprinting instead of extended roadwork.
    4. Remained in a martial arts discipline (I got bored quickly).

I wasted a lot of time.No more. Deciding now how best to proceed. I want to look like Doc Schwartz when I take my dirt nap, at age 110.
    A-men brother; great read and heed summary.
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

From Murphy's Laws of Combat: "Incoming has the right-of-way" (so, GTFOTX!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    How did your diet affect the onset of arthritis?

Quote Originally Posted by gssc View Post
    I'm envious of your garage setup and would love equipment recommendations.
    Buy a simple squat rack with safety bars for both squatting and benching (unless you'd like to do dips instead of bench like Gabe does), and then a barbell with some plates. I tossed together a quick example on Rogue here. Bonus points: everything in the cart is made in the USA. There are other outlets that sell American-made as well, such as EliteFTS and American Barbell. For bumper plates, there is unfortunately only Hi-Temp.
    Last edited by JLB; 02-06-2017 at 02:16 AM.

Originally Posted by Papa 5. Watched my diet (wasn't worried about arthritis then).

Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    How did your diet affect the onset of arthritis?

For some people it is claimed an improvement of arthritic conditions occurs upon increasing the intake of omega-3 fatty acids and decreasing the intake omega-6's that build up from using plant derived oils. Generally accepted to be good for the cardiovascular system.
    Caution, higher concentrations of Omega 3's reduce your ability to clot.
    Due to the opposing effects of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, a healthy diet should contain a balanced omega-6:omega-3 ratio. Human beings evolved eating a diet with a omega-6:omega-3 ratio of about 1:1. Modern Western diets exhibit omega-6:omega-3 ratios ranging between 15:1 to 17:1. google
    A little bit of caution not all omega-3 are useful to humans that some of the plants have. You want animal fats and oils for your omega-3 like salmon or other ocean fish. Perhaps the krill oil is good too. Range fed animals may be better than those fattened up in a feed lot.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...-source-matter
    Not all omega-3s are the same. The three main forms are eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). EPA and DHA are considered long-chain forms of omega-3 and are found in fish, fish oil supplements, and algae extract. ALA, the short-chain form, is found in plant sources like walnuts, flax seed, canola and soybean oil, and, to a lesser degree, green leafy vegetables. The body needs to convert the short-chain version to a long-chain version in order to make use of it—but this conversion doesn't happen very rapidly, says Willett
    Experts don't definitively know whether it's best to get our omega-3s from seafood sources or plant sources. "It is an unresolved question whether ALA provides the same benefit in preventing heart disease as does the very-long-chain form" of omega-3, says Willett. But based on multiple rigorous clinical trials in heart patients, Kopecky is a believer in the combination of EPA and DHA and regularly prescribes it to patients with heart disease or risk factors like hypertension or high triglycerides.

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Big difference between wild and farmed salmon for ratios of omega 3's to 6's So make sure what you eat is wild caught.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 02-06-2017 at 06:06 AM.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

You are going to get old...but the sick aging phenotype can be avoided with correct eating and physical training. You cannot control getting a disease, but there is a great deal you can in fact control.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters