Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Richard Jee, the former owner of Gunsite, filmed some early DVDs for me and noted what a practiced speaker i was. We rarely needed more than on take. I thought about this for a while and realized that the right "sound bites" have a muscle memory of sorts...just like a draw or a reload. And often while driving, I would deliver my lectures for a class. The more deliveries, the better the choice of words, inflections, and tempos of speech.

I think that "canned answers" will be seen as just that, and your credibility will be diminished.

No offense but - "I will fully cooperate, but I need a few minutes to get my thoughts together.", sounds like that. You may want to say that very thing, but a delivery that seems more genuine will gain you much more than a canned, adversary-creating, sound bite.

Something more like this -

"Deputy, I am glad you are here. I was almost killed by that man (pointing to the body).

(Pause to breathe)

"He and his friend, who ran down the street after shooting at me, fired at me from over there (pointing again).

"The rounds missed me thank God and hit that car right there" (point out the car)

"The first robber (it is fine to characterize them as you see them) dropped his gun as he fell and the gun is in those bushes (walk over and point it out)"

"I am so glad you are here - do you mind if I sit down, I am not feeling so good"

(Then sit - and ask for a doctor.....whether you need one or not)

Sounds much better than an obviously memorized, attorney-approved glob of verbal crap does it not?

Do you need to be an actor?

Why yes...yes you do.
    Gabe Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

You are acting for the cops, you are acting for the camera. We teach our patrol staff how important this is. Done correctly the suspect looks like a raving lunatic ( threatening to rape, burn and kill) while the officer looks like the soul of courtesy. Result, the defense tells the skell to accept the plea deal and you don't have to go to court on your day off.

These interactions are improv theatre, just don't forget the goal.
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I think that "canned answers" will be seen as just that, and your credibility will be diminished.
    One of Jonathan's brilliant nuggets was the utility of well-placed profanity. We've discussed how a well-timed F-bomb can function as a verbal hand grenade. I had never before considered this particular application of profanity. There is something vaguely untrustworthy about Ned Flanders. Conversely, there is something that rings true and honest about an involuntarily expelled curse word. Dad may be able to hold his tongue most of the time, but when the hammer hits your thumb the truth rings out loudly. By interspersing a small amount of profanity, you can add a realism and honesty to your statement. Rather than the canned statement, spice it up.

"Holy shit! Oh, fuck! That guy tried to kill me!" Doesn't that sound more believable than, "Officer, I was in fear of an imminent physical attack." ?

Canned answers are definitely bad.
    Virtute et Armis

Keep in mind, that even with a "time out" you will be detained during it and an officer will ride along with you in the ambulance and watch over you at the hospital, because until you are ruled out as a suspect, you are one. The officer will likely hear any phone conversations you have. One would want to make those conversations to his advantage.

"Hi Honey. Don't freak out, I am OK. Some guy tried to rob me at gunpoint. I thought he was going to kill me but I was able to shoot him first, thank God. I think my blood pressure is out of whack because my head is spinning. I'm at the hospital waiting to get checked out. A nice officer is waiting with me to make sure I'm OK. Can you call Tony and let him know what happened and where I am?"
    Dave Sauer
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

"The path which leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant." --Musashi

Onward & Upward!

Great F'ing thread!!! Learn guys!
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

Understood!

Thanks!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Richard Jee, the former owner of Gunsite, filmed some early DVDs for me and noted what a practiced speaker i was. We rarely needed more than on take. I thought about this for a while and realized that the right "sound bites" have a muscle memory of sorts...just like a draw or a reload. And often while driving, I would deliver my lectures for a class. The more deliveries, the better the choice of words, inflections, and tempos of speech.

No offense but - "I will fully cooperate, but I need a few minutes to get my thoughts together.", sounds like that. You may want to say that very thing, but a delivery that seems more genuine will gain you much more than a canned, adversary-creating, sound bite.

Something more like this -

"Deputy, I am glad you are here. I was almost killed by that man (pointing to the body).

(Pause to breathe)

"He and his friend, who ran down the street after shooting at me, fired at me from over there (pointing again).

"The rounds missed me thank God and hit that car right there" (point out the car)

"The first robber (it is fine to characterize them as you see them) dropped his gun as he fell and the gun is in those bushes (walk over and point it out)"

"I am so glad you are here - do you mind if I sit down, I am not feeling so good"

(Then sit - and ask for a doctor.....whether you need one or not)

Sounds much better than an obviously memorized, attorney-approved glob of verbal crap does it not?

Do you need to be an actor?

Why yes...yes you do.
    "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" Alan Temby
    "Give a man a mask and he will tell you the truth"- Oscar Wilde.

We will discuss this tomorrow at class.

Still applicable.

"Still applicable", for sure, maybe more than ever.
    I always have my primary weapon; it's right between my ears.

I like the medical time out, as it were, but some have opined that this could be used against you in a jury trial as a sign of infirmity or lack of ability to deal with stress. "See? He can't deal with stress! He over reacted, in the heat of the moment, and turned a nonviolent encounter into a shooting! His lack of any physical harm and the need to still be taken to the ER and "evaluated" is proof of his instability!"

You and I both know this is BS, but has this been sold to a jury before? I do not follow these types of cases as much as I should, but have any who do seen the hospital trip used against a physically uninjured civilian during trial, either civil or criminal?

I have always been told to dial 911 first. While waiting on 911, dial my legal representation. Follow commands of arriving officers, and advice of legal, saying as little as possible while as previously stated, outlining the fear for my or a loved ones life succinctly and without doubt, while pointing to supporting evidence.

"He charged me with that knife *points* and I knew he was going to kill me." "I want to speak with my attorney, please."
    Last edited by UNO; 04-17-2018 at 02:13 AM.