Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I need lighter weight and smaller because I need to free up room in my pack. Reducing cookware and the size of the stove is priority to make room for other items. Mainly because my children are old enough to take but to young to carrying much weight. I don't intend on using this for winter camping but Colorado weather and altitude is a factor I need to consider.
    Be alert, stand firm in the faith, act like a man, be strong. Your every action must be done with love.

“Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Snow Peak Giga stove is what I picked up about 6 or 7 years back. Seems to work pretty good, but only used a couple times a year.
    The government selectively enforces laws, so I selectively follow them.

RGF-3: December 2014
    CRG-1: March 2015
    CRG-2: June 2015
    CRG-2: June 2016
    PGF : January 2017
    0-5 Feet: October 2018

The bean can and sterno or gelled alcohol is a good space saver. And it's lightweight.

People turn their nose up at sterno, but it works well. Same for gelled alcohol.

You can make gelled alcohol at home too, by mixing 9 parts isopropyl alcohol with 1 part calcium acetate
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeB40 View Post
    The 'blue brick'? That's awesome. I still have a Svea 123 from the 70's; it still works but hasn't seen active duty for a while.

None the lesss, I now use a SnowPeak Giga Power. They run on the canned butane/propane fuel. The stove itself is small enough to fit in a small tea kettle or coffee pot. Burns real hot.
    Yep, the blue brick. :)

Have a 1960s two-burner Colman for base camp duties. I'm pretty old school.

I have a little Etek City knockoff of one of the MSR burners. It screws to the top of one of those little iso butane cans and burns HOT. Packs down to about a palm size. Ordered from the big A-something online store for something like $7 shipped.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    She asked me to whisper the three words every little girl wants to hear when they grow up. So I told her "I'm a pilot."

"You know what ol' Jack Burton says at a time like this... What the hell...."

I have a setup very similar to this
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4qJNaTYZWwE

homemade beer can setup

Heh. I've had an MSR Whisperlight International since the late 1990s as well. I have a few of the maintenance / parts kits for it, so I figure it will last a lifetime at this point.

Just last year I started using an Ohuhu stove like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is not as small and light as a lot of the alcohol stoves, but it is stainless steel and very solid. I think it will last many, many years and it provides a lot of bang for the buck.

It burns twigs, wood shavings, etc. but can also burn alcohol. Manufacturer suggests "solid alcohol" -- which I think is their term for Sterno -- but I've used it with regular alcohol with no problem (just need to use a small enough amount that you burn it all up, it isn't easy to cover and extinguish the fire).
    Witty signature on backorder.

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    Sterno is hands down my favorite fire starter. Just rub a little on a stick and put it at the bottom of the pile. Works like a charm.

I'm useless for the rest of the conversation as the Army cured me of any desire to carry a large pack and sleep on the ground. I'll still do it in a heartbeat if there's a large animal to kill near the top, but it's no longer something I'll do just for the doing. A large tent 15' from the truck and propane stove is about as camping as I'll consider these days.
    I'm with you. My idea of camping nowadays is looking out the window of a camp-trailer with a cup of coffee and waiting for the oven timer to go off announcing the completion of the cinnamon roll baking cycle.

I like the MSR Dragonfly; which I took with me to the 'Stan on my last overseas deployment. They burn anything liquid that is combustible (Kerosene, gasoline etc.) and they light easy. The Windpro II is good is you want a canister style stove. Buddy of mine likes to torture himself and backpacks with one of those.
    Masters in Warfare-OEF Class of 2002-2003, 2006-2007
    Majors: Offensive Terminal Ballistics and Overseas Bovine Scatology

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I've had very good success with an MSR Pocket Rocket that uses the canisters. Have taken it on several summer backpacking trips in the Rockies (Glacier and Grand Teton NPs and Wind River Range). Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    I'm useless for the rest of the conversation as the Army cured me of any desire to carry a large pack and sleep on the ground.
    That was me for the longest time. I didn't go anywhere that didn't have a bed with a roof over it.

But that was 20mumble years ago, and you can get gear a lot lighter, inflatable mattresses now make it all the way through the night without deflating and a backpack gets you further out than a car.