Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    For a burner I have this one:
    http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/01/05...kking-cookset/

(Just the burner, hard to find a review that wouldn't put someone else's store on Gabe's site) I use it for winter in the Front Range and it's the stove in the pack in my car as well. I like the small handle on the simmer ring as it allows adjustment even if the stove is already hot without burning my fingers. It has warmed a lot of tea & hot cocoa water on snowshoe and XC ski outings

I also use a MSR Pocket Rocket in the summer. You have to keep the canister inside your coat for winter use. But 3 season it is fast, easy, and plenty of heat. Boils a couple of cups of water under 5 min at 10,000' The downside is that wind affects it more than it affects the Whisperlite. The stove itself is only 4 oz. though so for the "fast & light" part it really shines. Canisters weight more than the stove but you can stay pretty light.

Mine is and always will be the swiss volcano stove with triox. Wood in a pinch

http://chazzlayne.com/feature-the-swiss-army-stove/
    Last edited by ericb; 01-24-2017 at 03:40 PM.

In my experience, it depends on how fast you want to cook or boil water. Alcohol stoves do not put out the heat that the Pocket Rockets do using isobutane. I have a pocket rocket, and a whisperlite. I got rid of my alcohol stove years ago. I use the windshield from the whisperlite with the pocket rocket when it is really blowing. The pocket rocket, an isobutane can and a collapsible base all fit in my titanium cooking kit and last at least a full weekend of camping.

Years ago in Scouts I had a bluet Isopropanol stove. I always wanted an MSR wisperlite and in 99 after the Corps and getting a better paying job I bought a MSR Dragonfly. Still have it, but it doesn't get much use as we mostly do car camping.

What will you be cooking? Or just boiling water? Altitude?

If I'm cooking with a pan, I want wide and low.
    I prefer liquid fuel so I can measure or tell how much I have left.

All other, I prefer to heat boiling water as fast as possible, simple, minimal fuss. There's things I like about MSR and things I like about Jetboil.

Freeze dried? I just rehydrate by soaking in water. SIMPLE.
    I am "homeland security", "border patrol", "law enforcement", "first responder", and a "veteran" of the mentioned.

Have had an earlier version of this for many years - Optimus Multi-fuel:

https://www.optimusstoves.com/us/us/4-8016277-optimus-nova-plus

8016277_nova-plus_open.jpeg

Just great, run it on gas or Shellite (burns very clean).