Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default A THIRD SHOTGUN STORY

SHOTGUN STORIES - PART 1

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

THINGS ARE NOT AS THEY SEEM

The Shield Maiden and I had been working on our ground fighting skills, as husbands and wives often do, when the call came in.

It was five "9"s in succession. Translated that meant, "call station right now shit is going down". This was long before texts...and even before Al Gore invented the internet...we carried pagers. I grab up the phone and call in.

"Gang-related Murder. Sgt. Cooper thinks it was the mom".

Shit...I hated those kinds of calls. I tossed the Go-Bag in the back seat of the T-Bird and sped down La Tuna Canyon to PCH as Phil Collins tuned out on the stereo in the summer evening. The victim was a known gang member and the common thought back then was that all of the family were gang members as well, from the 90 year old deaf grandfather to the five year old little brother with snot running down his face.

I walked in past the uniforms as I threw on my "Gang Unit" jacket to explain my shaved head and long fu manchu. The victim, "Cricket" was laying on the floor of his bedroom upstairs with a gaping hole in his chest the size of my fist. On the floor at his feet by the wall was a Mossberg 500 shotgun, loaded and chambered. On the floor by his right hand was a spent case (its not a casing...casing is what they make sausages with). The entire room had that odd yet familiar smell of death: a combination of gunsmoke and blood and things that belong inside a body, not outside.

Those who have smelled it will know what I mean...and will never forget it.

"The mom...or the sister...one of them killed him...those Mexicans...you know how they are...I am going to hook them up and take them to the station. They will talk", Detective Sgt. Cooper interrupted my Sherlock moment with his usual candor and investigative skill.

I wasn't yet sure what happened, but I knew that neither the mom nor sister had not done this.

"Give me a minute with them", I asked - and told at the same time. The despondent women could barely speak, and I wanted to get to them before the "Inspector Clouseau" had them handcuffed and marched off away from the dead son and brother.

They were downstairs and heard a shot.
    They ran upstairs and saw him lying on the floor.
    They called the police.
    He had just broken up with his girl.
    She had not been by.

Then the sound of handcuffs stopped my interview.

I walked back upstairs. Cricket's eyes were still open, as well as his mouth in that death mask that speaks of the surrender of death and the surprise of its arrival.

The blood had begun to congeal on the carpet.

Murder? I had investigated plenty of them. This was not a murder. I wasn't sure but it didn't seem to fit.

Cooper had a "gang thing" and wanted badly for it to be a murder...but this was not it.

I began to look closer. I noticed what is commonly called powder burns on Cricket's chest wound. This meant that it was a contact shot, like with the muzzle making contact with his sternum, and not from across the room. I began to look more closely. I noticed a mark on the inside and outside of his right thumb...as if it had just been hit by something.

...something....like....

...a trigger guard?

I looked deeper....

THERE...on the wall, a pointed indentation on the stucco wall about two feet up from the floor.

What would do that?

On the point of the pistol grip only Mossberg...also some stucco. Then there...in the linoleum floor...a half crescent remarkably like the size of a shotgun barrel.

I got on my radio and called for the ID technicians immediately (long before they were called CSI).

Cricket (his gang name) - it turns out had GSR on his hands.

He had brought the 12 gauge up to his chest with his left hand and pulled the trigger with his right thumb. The shotgun was launched away from his body as he fell back. It hit the wall and ejected the fired case, and dove muzzle first onto the floor where that next shell was chambered. And it lay as found until the patrol officers and "Detective Sergeant" rolled up and determined what happened.

The mom and daughter went home that night, not as homicide suspects, but as a grieving mother and daughter to clean up the son's blood.

I filed my report and ignored the glare from my new friend the "Detective Sergeant". I went home early about 0400 HRS. Just in time for a little more Jujitsu before the sun came up. Such was the life of the Gang Investigator.

Oh...I almost forgot. I made some powerful enemies that night that would come calling for retribution soon enough.
    Gabe Suarez

“To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing,
    unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.”

― Winston Churchill

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Keep them coming Gabe... Good reading
    You Have Three Choices,
    Give up, Give in, or Give it all you got!

Good call... can't argue the physics of a semi-autonomous, self-loading pump shotgun.

How well did the GU know Cricket and family?
    Ted Demosthenes
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

Upcoming classes
    CRG-1, 19-20 Aug, Olympia, WA
    CRG-1, 26-27 Aug, Mapleton, OR
    CRG-2, 23-24 Sep, Mapleton, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Demosthenes View Post
    How well did the GU know Cricket and family?

Very well...I have a great story about that.
    Gabe Suarez

“To each there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing,
    unique to them and fitted to their talents. What a tragedy if that moment finds them unprepared or unqualified for that which could have been their finest hour.”

― Winston Churchill

Man you're a good story teller... Brings back many a memory.

I was working as a felony-crimes Detective at my S.O. Got the call that patrol was at a possible "ritual homicide scene with a shotgun" in an old cemetery in a hippie-commune-doper enclave town out in one of our coastal beats. My partner and I were also Firearms and D.T. Instructors, SWAT guys, Ghostbusters, and all-around Tackleberry's, so we were usually sent to "the weird stuff."

We started the 40 minute drive out there, and I was actually able to get the patrol Sergeant on the Nextel. (Long enough ago that we still had pagers, but the Nextel with a car kit was state of the art.)

Before I can ask any questions, he's telling me this is "definitely a 187 so don't give me any of you and Bob's SWAT gun-fu crap." Sarge tells me a citizen found the victim lying inside a grave plot, with his "head blown off and a big rifle a few feet away from him on the ground." Patrol Deputy and the Sarge get there and find it as the citizen described, except the rifle is a shotgun.

"Why do you think it's a homicide?" I ask.

"Because we have multiple witnesses who heard two distinct shots fired, and the gun is on the ground several feet away."

"Why some kind of ritual killing?" I query after waiting for the annoying Nextel chirp.

"Cause the guy is lying spread-eagle on his back inside the grave plot, his head's blown off, and he's got one bare foot and one with a shoe and sock on. It's some hippie-doper-fetish killing."

I ask Sarge if the victim's other shoe and sock are on scene near the body. "Yeah, so? The witnesses said there were 2 separate shots." is the answer.

I ask him if the shotgun is a pump or a semi-auto. Sarge tells me it's a semi-auto, thinks it's a Remington 1100. (Sarge was a long-time hunter. Of ducks, not men.)

I tell him to make sure the scene is secure, not to disturb the body, get good I.D. on the witnesses, and to slow things down. We'll get there when we get there.

As many have guessed, it was a suicide. 20-something year old kid killed himself with dad's old 1100 shotgun on dad's grave. Shoe and sock was off because victim put the muzzle in his mouth and because of the gun's over-all length he sat down and used his big toe to press the trigger. Recoil-bump fired the second shot.

Once on scene, we had command authority over patrol until the Watch Commander arrived. We just had to detail Sarge to go look for skull fragments. He freaked out when he found the skull "soup bowl" still in a scalp/hair cozy.

As soon as the Sarge told me on the phone it was a semi-auto I remember saying to my partner, "It's a semi-auto shotgun. No overtime on this one."

Sarge did not appreciate my giving him a copy of the book "Final Exit."
    VIRES HONOR VIRTUS FIDES

Default A THIRD SHOTGUN STORY

Gabe,
    Sensed that in the story....and doing the right thing.
    Looking forward to hearing it over beverages.

BTW, no good deed goes unpunished. ;-]
    Last edited by Ted Demosthenes; 01-11-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Ted Demosthenes

Upcoming classes

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Demosthenes View Post
    Gabe,
    Sensed that in the story....and doing the right thing.
    Looking forward to hearing it over beverages.

BTW, no good deed goes unpunished. ;-]
    Indeed

was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stδrker
    Gabe Suarez

― Winston Churchill

This should be close:

"Und es zeigt Bruder"
    Ted Demosthenes

Upcoming classes

Cricket's story is up now.
    Gabe Suarez

― Winston Churchill