Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    If I only teach one more class this year it will be a Shotgun Class.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    Looking like I'll be guilt tripping you into another Jon Payne class if he puts it together as promised...
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Train with Payne 2019

AK RIFLE GUNFIGHTING - OCT 26-27, 2019 HOUSTON, TX

Bringing this one back up after seeing some internet stupidity and for those that hadn't seen it.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

This will be up on the blog very soon. Thanks Greg
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Excellent thread topic!

When I aged-out of my employer's athletic, timed patrol rifle qual, I did not fret too much, because I work straight nights; night fights happen at close range. We still qual with shotguns while standing on our hind legs. (Weight is not my problem; my duty belt is set at the size as when I was a skinny cadet in 1983/1984.) Now that the patrol rifle qual has become a bit kinder and gentler, and Aimpoints are now OK, I might try to re-certify to carry a patrol rifle, but there are, now, finally, thankfully, a decent number of young bucks on my shift who are carrying patrol rifles, so it makes sense for me to be a shotgunner, especially as I am one of the very few on my shift who have been officially trained/OK-'ed to breach doors.
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-05-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    Have Colt, will travel.

At home, the XO's weapon of choice is a stockless 870 Wingmaster, with an old-school Surefire fore-end that has equivalent strap set-up as seen on the SI Stakeout, for the same reason. She is no fool; having served over twenty-one years as a death scene investigator for the Medical Examiner, in one of the most-populous counties in the USA, she has seen enough blood spatter evidence to know what works, and how effectively. Blood spatter evidence will show how far and how fast the "shoot-ee" moved after being hit; this is, indeed a science.

In addition, we share two Magpul-stocked 870P pump guns for general purpose usage, one of which is on my qual list for LEO-ing, and my Benelli M2, which has recently become my usual duty shotgun. I added the Benelli in anticipation of 2017 Stupid Bowl-related duties, largely because the bold dimensions of the rifle sights suit my aging eyes, and because I wanted a dedicated slug gun in case a hijacked truck suddenly appeared to re-enact a Nice/Berlin scenario. (Federal Truball Penetrator slugs will do more damage to material than our mandated AR15 ammo; getting to a jihadi truck driver means getting through material before reaching the soft stuff inside.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 04-05-2017 at 06:17 PM.
    Have Colt, will travel.

One other aspect that any homicide investigator can verify...buckshot leaves no ballistic fingerprint.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    One other aspect that any homicide investigator can verify...buckshot leaves no ballistic fingerprint.
    Can the wadding leave a traceable fingerprint. The shells for sure can.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Can the wadding leave a traceable fingerprint. The shells for sure can.
    Only a home load
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

A question for those with more experience than I have. To allow a little more flexibility and extended range for buckshot loads; has anyone considered a Polychoke or similar device on the barrel that would allow a quick choke selection? It could be set up for Cyl bore, Imp Cyl., and Modified or the like, allowing a choke change with a twist of the wrist (fingers BEHIND the muzzle). Thus it could be kept set on Cyl bore allowing the unfettered use and advantage of the needed wide patterns as is being discussed, but would allow the shooter to extend the effective range of the weapon when needed without an ammo change. I would think that there would usually be more time to select extended range as/if needed and to run the SG set for the closest range. Opinions?

jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw76 View Post
    A question for those with more experience than I have. To allow a little more flexibility and extended range for buckshot loads; has anyone considered a Polychoke or similar device on the barrel that would allow a quick choke selection? It could be set up for Cyl bore, Imp Cyl., and Modified or the like, allowing a choke change with a twist of the wrist (fingers BEHIND the muzzle). Thus it could be kept set on Cyl bore allowing the unfettered use and advantage of the needed wide patterns as is being discussed, but would allow the shooter to extend the effective range of the weapon when needed without an ammo change. I would think that there would usually be more time to select extended range as/if needed and to run the SG set for the closest range. Opinions?

jim
    In my opinion no. I want to pattern my weapon system and different ranges with the ammo I will normally use. This gives me DOPE on the spread and effective distance for the system/round selection.
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual