Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    It is the red dot sight that I am having the problem with.

I have a lot respect for Gabe's opinions and so even though for moment I see its use on a shotgun used with buckshot as not being needed, I will have to try it out and then make my decision.

I once the lost the front bead of a shotgun and still was able to hit flying dove on the wing. A man is much easier to hit than a flying object. But shooting as in hunting is done from a standing position where proper alignment with the eye of the barrel is possible. shooting from cover may be different so I really need to mount a red dot on a shotgun to see. for myself

Pistols that are intended for precise head shooting benefit from the red dot sight. The mission of most rifle use benefits from the red dot sight. So I will have to work this out for myself for the shotgun.
    My point of view on reloading. Top it off for a tube gun when you can or insert a fully loaded box magazine when you can. But just like the rifle, transition to your pistol rather than try a speed reload.

It is VERY SIMPLE...and I even think we have an entire thread devoted to it

YOU WILL BE ABLE TO DO MORE WITH A RED DOT THAN WITHOUT, AND JUST LIKE THE PISTOL, YOU CAN STILL POINT SHOOT EVEN WITH THE RED DOT MOUNTED

That is all really. If we do not limit ourselves by the low standards or the outdated traditions of others and particularly the ones attached to the shotgun, we will be able to do amazing things. Recall just ten years ago...the art of the pistol now and its expression then. We are doing things now that were considered impossible...not just unlikely but impossible, by most of the pistol shooting world. Let us not get monkey trapped by traditions and low expectations.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Nice article Greg. I'd also add I wouldn't hesitate to use my scattergun tech 870 in a rural environment, especially one as densely forested as my farm. 12 GA can work pretty well in low light situations against both two and four legged pests.

Remember commonality of " what am I supposed to see". I use a dot on my pistol. Closer and fast TSOD and put shoulders on either side of sight. Rifle uses a dot, closer and fast shoulders on either side of sight. Shotgun. Closer and fast shoulders on either side of sight.

All the same picture no other thinking needed when close and fast, more precise when time allows. Reduce the bandwidth needed for this part of your problem. We've got a video posted here today of a bg using too much bandwidth on multiple problems, if he had prioritized the outcome would have likely been different. Save you bandwidth for the issues it really needs to focus on, anything you can do to accomplish it is to your benefit.

I fight, and reload a pistol/rifle/shotgun from much the same position and posture. I also access my first reload from much the same part of my body for all three. I can do it standing, walking, running, or barreling through people shoving me around. Less of my bandwidth is used on these issues and more can be expended on the problem I am using these tools for in the first place.

That said I still haven't mounted a dot to my shotgun, but it is in the works. While that may sound like "I don't know". Look at it as I put upgraded brakes on my cycle and saw an improvement, so I put upgraded brakes on my sports car and saw an improvement, likely when I put upgraded brakes on my SUV, likely I will see an improvement
    NEVER CONFUSE GETTING LUCKY WITH GOOD TACTICS (unless you are at the bar)

I'm not in the business of Losing

A stab to the taint beats most of the mystical bullshit, most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Nice article Greg. I'd also add I wouldn't hesitate to use my scattergun tech 870 in a rural environment, especially one as densely forested as my farm. 12 GA can work pretty well in low light situations against both two and four legged pests.
    Meant to say that in the LL/NL section
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

IMO, the SG really shines in LL/NL situations, when all the batteries are used up with no replacements to be found.

BTW, a brake top single barrel can be fed with practice faster than most thought possible.

Would not invest money in one but if an old one was setting in closet would not throw it away, just work with it and learn its strengths and weakness.
    Not living in fear, just ready!!!

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    IMO, the SG really shines in LL/NL situations, when all the batteries are used up with no replacements to be found.

BTW, a brake top single barrel can be fed with practice faster than most thought possible.

Would not invest money in one but if an old one was setting in closet would not throw it away, just work with it and learn its strengths and weakness.
    I can kill with a spoon or a belt, but I'm not going to the kitchen cupboard or wardrobe in the event I need to fight
    Greg "Hyena" Nichols
    Instagram: tacfit_az
    Facebook: SI Instructor Greg Nichols

#thinkinginviolence
    #tactisexual

Always entertaining, mildly offensive
    IANative: Indeed, when you grab Brent (or he grabs you), it feels like liquid unobtanium wrapped in rawhide... whereas Greg is just solid muscle wrapped in hate, seasoned w/ snuff and a little lead.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...he-Obscenities

Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    BTW, a brake top single barrel can be fed with practice faster than most thought possible..
    And an ugly fat chick can be hot a 0300 HRS under the right circumstances, that doesn't mean she is the first choice.
    Gabriel Suarez

[QUOTE=searcher 45;184800

Many years ago I went deer hunting with a new acquaintance whose only long gun was a single shot shot gun loaded with slugs; no sights other than a brass bead.

We walked into a small swamp and immediately bounced a small buck that he shot before I even saw it. He had his gun reloaded and up before I could even swing around and get on target. I was amazed at the speed with which he pulled that move and later commented on it as we were dressing out the deer. His response was that if that's all you have, you learn to run it well.

Good stuff as always, Greg.

I can see how the shotgun properly used is a great tool in a team environment. I could also see how it could be awesome as the first few shots in any engagement--if somebody needs to be shot, it's usually the impact of the first shot that matters most. Follow-up shots are great, but the more effective the first shot was the less they matter. The problem is when you've emptied your magazine without having the time to top it off--that's when it's good to have somebody right behind you to take over while you do what you need to do to stay in the fight. That would be my primary hesitation about the shotgun being the primary when I'm by myself--the first few shots are going to be really effective, but then what? You may or may not be able to reload, and going to the pistol may not be as desirable as having another 25 rounds still waiting in the magazine of a rifle...

But from what I understand (no personal experience yet!), there are few options for dealing with a charging bear better than a shotgun with slugs. Also, it looks like more bullpup shotguns are coming on the market to compete with the KSG, including at least one magazine-fed semi-auto. I can imagine plenty of scenarios where a bullpup shotgun paired with a suppressor would make a lot of sense, where that 8-10" suppressor otherwise would be making a normal shotgun a bit unwieldy!

I will say it agin gents as I see the infestation of red flannel and blaze orange

This is gunfighting with the shotgun.

THIS IS NOT GUNFIGHTING...IT IS A GUN GAME

THIS IS GUNFIGHTING WITH A SHOTGUN

THIS IS NOT

THIS IS

THIS IS NOT

IS NOT

IS

IS NOT

Gabriel Suarez