Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    That's badass.

Understood the rules of the game forbade firearms, hunting, etc., but if you'd had, say, a 12 gauge (or a .22 or a deer rifle) would you have been able to do yourself any good?

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    Wondering about the same thing. Was there any game to be had by means of trapping?
    Did you know when others were pulled/ did you know you were one of the final 2?

A thousand congratulations on your win. Truly and amazing feat.
    There really isn't much to be had with the game up there. I can't really go into all the details. Suffice to say from a legal standpoint the sea was my best bet. That was also true in a pure survival sense. The sea life there is abundant.

A .22 would have bagged some game and in a true survival situation would have been the right thing to do... as would have been eating endangered abalone, shooting a harbor seal, killing endangered squirrels, ducks out of season, and a host of other game violations. Just because you're on a survival TV show doesn't mean British Colombia owes you a favor.

I did not know when the others pulled out. They did ask me several times if I wanted to know how many were left in the competition and I never let them tell me. Whether it was one or all nine it didn't affect me in the slightest.
    Last edited by Pict; 01-08-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Nice job! And thanks for the very informative AARs.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

You are, indeed, The Man. I felt cold and hungry watching the videos.

Congratulations on your well deserved win and thanks for sharing your survival tips and the lessons learned.

Quote Originally Posted by wil View Post
    What did you do for sanitation? I am not trying to be crude with this, personal hygiene and personal sanitation are both real requirements and I'd think especially in a situation such as this.
    If it is too personal a topic then perhaps leave it be.
    We were allowed to take a toothbrush but no paste. We were not allowed to take any soap, but IIRC we could have if it was one of our ten items. Nobody chose it. The same rope fiber I used for my second net also worked well as dental floss.

I would rinse my hair, socks, and base layer in the small stream near camp. On warm, sunny days in the beginning I often stripped to the waist, scrubbed my upper body and got as much sun as possible as my base layer and shirt lay in the sun. Toward the end, we still had a fair share of sunny days, but the temp was in the 30's and often breezy. I highly recommend Merino wool as a base layer. It does not pick up a bad odor. My wool Boreal shirt, wool Pendleton, and heavy Merino wool T-shirt were also odor free. I haven't even washed my Boreal shirt since the island and it smells like wool and nothing else. Wool rocks for long term wilderness wear.

After dinner I rinsed my pot and scrubbed it out with sphagnum moss and an additional rinse with fresh water. Sphagnum moss is fantastic for cleaning pots. I left my pot on a stump near my water catch with the lid on and my wooden spoon inside to keep out the mice.

As a birthright of being a free man upon the earth I took a piss whenever and wherever I happened to be, but had a really good dumping spot about 80 yards from camp.

Thanks for the information you printed for us to read Pict!

I actually have been watching the second season - I believe I'm at episode 11.
    You and the Jose seem to be on an even keel - You two both talk about being lonely
    and how it affects you both.
    Great show!
    Last edited by BoxingRef_Rick; 01-12-2017 at 01:29 AM.
    "Thatís why the media gleefully, happily lies every single day about every single thing it reports."

Jose is one tough customer. His primitive skills are off the charts. He's former Spanish Foreign Legion Special Forces and does medieval full contact fighting. At the time I had no idea who was still out there, but it didn't surprise me at all that he made it into the final three.

I had a running series of small victories that gave me stability but two turning points improved my quality of life significantly. The first was discovering where the abundant Kelp Crabs lived. Around day 30-something I caught six giant crabs from the kelp with a hook and line and filled my 2 quart pot with claws and shoulders. It's hard to describe the morale boost that meal gave. I not only filled my belly with meat but discovered a whole new product line.

At that point I was consistently catching fish out on my reef at low tide. To get to the reef I had to jump across two channels once the tide got low enough, but the reef gave me access to the edge of a huge kelp forest where the fish hung out. I had to watch the incoming tide and time it just right to get off the rocks or I'd get trapped out there. The reef was so productive for me I spent every low tide out there and usually came home with a few fish and crabs.

One day I took a chance and headed to the northwest side of the cove. I had been there many times and could only go 1/3 the distance to where the surf butted up against sheer cliffs with no way around. I always headed for the reef at dead low tide and realized I had never been over on that side at low water. I fished my way along the rocks as the tide went out and discovered a passage into an alcove with really good fishing. As the water got even lower a small rocky trail appeared around the base of the cliffs. That suddenly gave me about 300 yards of kelp forest frontage and by then I knew exactly what I was looking for. On my first run down the "Northwest Passage" I found a tide pool with six crabs. I fed off the reef for a month and then switched to the NW side of the cove.

At the end I was eating well but sure someone was out there sleeping on a bearskin rug and playing with trained sea otters.

We watched your season from the beginning. Way cool. It's even cooler that you are a long time member here.

It always feels a little weird to congratulate somebody on something they earned. How about a big "That'll do."
    If you can only have one rifle... Get a better job.

"Seriously! You can't war game a gunfight." Sua Sponte

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Short answer wool and Gortex.

The weather I had to dress for was mid 30's and raining. We lucked out with a dryer than normal fall. The other day here in Grand rapids it was 39 and drizzling and it gave me a flashback of the island.

Base layer - Icebreaker merino wool
    Pants - Rail Ryder windproof, quick dry
    Shirt - Pendelton wool
    Sweatshirt - Filson Merino Wool
    Top insulation layer - Boreal Shirt by Lester River Bushcraft
    Wind/Waterproof Shell - Tru-Spec ECWS top and bottom
    Boots - Muck Arctic Sport
    Socks - Cabelas merino boot socks

I was very happy with the clothes I took.
    Thanks Pict...why so much wool? I've done a good bit of backpacking and read the equipment reviews. Merino wool base layer is considered pretty good but it seems like beyond that most now use fleece or a down puffy under a waterproof shell. Weight savings seems to be the driver, maybe cost also. Military seems to have gone away from wool also.

LOL - Spend two months living in the same base layer without the aid of soap and tell me what you prefer. Wool will smell like wool. Synthetics will knock a buzzard off a shit wagon. Your call. I don't knock modern synthetics, some of them are very good. For long term I stick with wool. Wool and goretex is a fantastic combination for 36 degrees and raining. If I had to go out there again I would not alter my clothing choice one bit.