Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Congratulations, I had been watching the show before I saw this and was hoping you would win!

It really was a fascinating social/psychological experiment beyond just the survival skills. I found it interesting that the guys who had the most luck and the easiest times eating and staying warm from the beginning tapped out early due to boredom/missing their loved ones.

Obviously, given a real survival situation quitting isn't an option, but it is something to think about and attempt to prepare for.

Default Very Inspiring

Thank you very much for sharing this. It is very powerful and just what I needed

Jorge,
    MiamiArnisGroup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post

Here's a video of me speaking at the Ada Bible Church Wild Game Dinner about my time on the island. Spiritual content warning: This was a church event so if you're not into that sort of thing, it is what it is.

Very good information thanks for sharing your experience I watched the show and it looked brutal for sure. Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Very good information thanks for sharing your experience I watched the show and it looked brutal for sure. Congrats
    Thanks. I was just up there last month for a return visit. I spent most of two days in "Desolation Cove". When they pulled me out by helicopter a year and a half ago, I left behind all sorts of stuff. When I got to my beach my fishing pole and fish stringer were laying right where I left them. I sharpened up the hook and it still worked.

Mixed emotions being there, not at all like I thought it would be. In my memory I had scrubbed away the pain of living there for so long and remembered the good times and the big win. As soon as they pulled the boat out of the cove and left me alone the weight of the starvation/isolation came back. I still see people who think long term solo survival, living off the land without a firearm, modern fishing gear, or commercial traps would be easy. They are in a dreamscape, not a landscape. It wasn't anything like a PTSD reaction, but it was sobering. Spending over two months in isolation there was an ordeal. It felt really good to go back to the cabins for beer and crabs.

Kelp Greenling on the Point.jpg

Congratulations! PICT

You stated at the start of the show that your goal first and foremost was to win the money, so that you can change into the dad that says yes instead of the dad that always has to say no.

I noticed during the series that it almost turned into a repeatable phrase for you when times got tough when you started to have negative thoughts. Do you think the fact that that you had such a clear goal in mind helped to keep you focused. It seemed to me that the other contestants all had their reasons but not so clearly spelled out. Their reasons for doing the show kept changing as their stay on the island grew longer and that in turn made them lose focus.

Then once they got close to their breaking point they got not find a clear reason or even remember why they wanted to do the show in the first place and therefore their seemed to be no logical point in continuing any further.

Cheers
    Elfie
    HALFMAN HALFCAR

Yes, I went out there to win, but I don't like it when people say I was just out there "for the money". I talked about all of my reasons for doing the show and they chose to focus on when I mentioned the cash prize. I was given a chance to win a half million dollars doing something I like and that I'm good at. For my kid's sake I had to take that seriously. Once I got into a stable lifestyle there was no reason to leave. I fully expected an injury to take me out at some point.

Whenever you quit, especially at a declared objective, you have to construct a new narrative that makes the decision acceptable. You rehearse that speech a while until you're convinced, quit, and then explain to everyone who knew of the original goal why it made sense to redefine success. I've learned to catch myself in that process. I had about ten solid reasons for being there. By about day 45 most of them were fulfilled... except for winning. I basically decided, I'm not leaving on any day that I don't have to leave. I was living totally in the NOW, and if NOW was OK, there was no reason to make the call.

FYI been watching the new season with teams and surprised that so many have "tapped" out. I think it would be harder with someone else because you would have another person to worry about. Brooke and Dave Whipple are my choice to win the whole thing. Looks like it may not even take 30 days. One thing I learned from my military and law enforcement. The member should stay put that is not hiking and build a shelter and start getting some food before its too late.

Rereading this I am reminded of something noted during WWII among the Merchant Marine (civilians) operating cargo ships. Many of those were sunk, some men survived more than one event. It was observed that young healthy guys died sooner than the old timers who also usually had rather poor health habits. That didn't seem to make sense. Turns out it seemed to be mental, how they handled stress. While in a lifeboat the old guys were going 'Damn, I was going to visit One Eyed Mary in Honolulu, guess that will have to be a different time'. In a lifeboat, the young guys were going 'OMG, WE"RE ALL GONNA DIE'. Attitude made the difference.

I'm interested to see how the team thing plays out. When I was there I often thought how cool it would be to have my brother along.

I think age/experience is an asset in this situation. The current difficulty gets weighed against other difficult circumstances and comes out worse than some but not as bad as others. In every season we've seen people affected by the initial psychological shock and I think young people in general have a harder time putting that into context. There is a big difference in wilderness camping in places of your choosing, taking the gear you deem most appropriate with being dropped in a place you've never been with artificial limits on your resources. That initial few days is a test for anyone, but it helps to have been tested in other areas of life. This is yet another test, certainly not a first.

Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    I noticed during the series that it almost turned into a repeatable phrase for you when times got tough when you started to have negative thoughts. Do you think the fact that that you had such a clear goal in mind helped to keep you focused. It seemed to me that the other contestants all had their reasons but not so clearly spelled out. Their reasons for doing the show kept changing as their stay on the island grew longer and that in turn made them lose focus.

Then once they got close to their breaking point they got not find a clear reason or even remember why they wanted to do the show in the first place and therefore their seemed to be no logical point in continuing any further.

Cheers
    Elfie
    Viktor Frankl's book Mans' Search for Meaning is an interesting study on motivation and what will and won't keep you alive in a desperate situation.
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net