Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Most of the practical questions I had have been addressed. I'm curious about how accurately you think the show portrayed you and your time there, when you went back and watched it.

I get they had to leave a ton of stuff out.
    Thanks for all the positive feedback. There is a book in the works.

I shot about 4.5 hours of raw footage a day. A 64 gig card held 4.5 hours and I swapped out the card most days, and that's just the main camera. There is just no way they can show the full picture of what we did out there. Another way to look at it is that I ONLY shot 4.5 hours of footage a day out of a 12 hour work day. I didn't record the full story.

From all that raw video they construct a story arc that works for them in conjunction with the other nine stories they are trying to tell. They accentuate the drama in places, but they can't show things we didn't shoot. There were things they could have shown that were clear indicators that I was doing well. My last week and a half especially I was eating really well, fish and crabs every night. At the same time Larry was really starting to struggle and they kept the suspense up as to who was going to tap out right up to the last half of the final episode. At that point I was filming my catch of the day and was really blown away that I was eating so well that late in the experience. I really felt like I had turned a corner into a self-sustaining lifestyle. In short, I wasn't going anywhere and that was very clear to them. They couldn't really show all that from the mid-fifties on or it would have been clear to the audience.

In the episode where I catch my first fish, I had caught a very large Striped Sea Perch and a much smaller Kelp Greenling. They only showed the Greenling but used the audio from the larger fish. I then went back to that location and caught multiple fish for the next two days and they didn't show that at all. They made it seem like I was only struggling with my nets and not resolving the food issue with active fishing. The way its edited it seems like I abruptly transitioned away from passive fishing to active fishing but I had been using them in conjunction for quite a while.

They also selectively edited my comments about how difficult it was but cut out positive statements about how much I was enjoying my time there. I wanted to describe accurately how hard it was but also that it was an amazing time for me and I was in good spirits.

Things not shown...

Raised bed, eighteen inches off the ground, thick Hemlock mattress, 4 feet wide, 8 feet long that was central to my energy conservation strategy.

Converted a plastic basket to a seafood box trap. That was really good bushcraft and it doesn't even appear once.

Pict
    did you find any trash out there that you repurposed for use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    Pict
    did you find any trash out there that you repurposed for use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Several plastic bottles I used as canteens, loads of rope part of which I reformed into a gill net, crab line, and passive fishing system, several large nails one became a shank. I also found a large boom chain that I used as irons in my fireplace.

Gill net.jpg
    The gill net I made (photo taken here in MI). To make the net I dismantled a synthetic rope I found on day one down to it's basic fibers. The individual strands resembled dental floss and were about that strong. It takes 120 meters of string to make a 2 square meter panel of net with cells that size. These fibers didn't need any work, I could use them without added labor. I carved a net needle from a piece of Red Cedar and got to work.
    Dave-and-that-net-e1484366471720.png
    Repairing the net on Vancouver Island. Unfortunately the conditions in the cove worked against effective gill netting. The water was filled with ripped up Bull Kelp and the cove collected every stray Cedar log in Quatsino Sound. I don't regret making the net. It gave me something to do during high tide and it was an effective use for the resources I found.

Bird netting is a good way to catch snakes for the table.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Here's a video of me speaking at the Ada Bible Church Wild Game Dinner about my time on the island. Spiritual content warning: This was a church event so if you're not into that sort of thing, it is what it is.

Pict, Brother, your PM box is full. Got something I would like to hit you with offline, please.

Cleared the inbox

Fantastic testimony. Thank you for sharing it.

I couldn't help but think of the symbolism inherent in your helicopter trip out of there. You were just going through your daily life, relying on God, and on what you thought was just another day, the messengers came to take you home. May it be that way for every one of us.
    Armed Puritan

I finally got caught up and watched all the episodes... even got something (probably dust) in my eye when your daughter walked up behind you there at the end.

Very well done, David. Very well done.

John