Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ATS-34 can be excellent, or mediocre. It depends on the heat treating. It's not as simple as plain carbon or tool steel heat treatment. Done right, you get good performance. Done the way most companies have it done (and they virtually all sub out heat treating and only get what they specify and pay for) its no better or worse than 440c.

"Combat knife" means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. To some it's a Ka-Bar and nothing else. To some it's a Fairbairn-Sykes Dagger. To others it's a Swiss knife or a Leatherman.

I went to the Persian Gulf War with a little of everything. I ended up carrying a Cold Steel SRK on my web gear and a Cold Steel Master Tanto inside the waistband with this new fangled "Kydex" sheath. I also had a Spyderco Police (non-serrated) clipped in one pants pocket and a Swiss knife in the other. Yes, I was "the knife guy." After being asked "kin I borry yor knife?" one time too many, I told the other guys (we were a military journalism unit) if they wanted a knife, they better buy one. Most ended up with Spyderco folders or Buck folders. A couple bought SRKs. I didn't care as long as they quick asking to "borry" mine.

The three knives you listed are very different from one another. I don't have have a Leatherneck, but I do have an Army Ka-Bar. Either would make a good combat knife, IMHO.

Likewise, I don't have a Marauder, but I do have large Bowies. The only guy I ever saw carrying a knife like that in uniform (it was a Case Bowie with a brass trimmed leather sheath) was a full bird colonel who wore it like a codpiece over his junk. He looked like a clown. I ruefully swore I'd never wear a big Bowie like that because of the clown-colonel.

I also have an OSS, which is the OSI's brother. And I have the Cold Steel Big Bear Classic, its San Mai, Micarta handled inspiration (also a rip-off ... er, homage to Bob Loveless' Bear fighting knife).

I always wanted a Big Bear Classic, but couldn't justify the $$$. I shied away from the OSS becuz of the Kraton rubber guard. Then I saw where Cold Steel posted a video of a hunting guide in Africa being attacked by a buffalo. His son jumps into the fray wielding little more than an OSS; he is seen in the video repeatedly stabbing the buff, inflicting pain and eventually distracting it enough so his dad could get away. That sold me on the OSS.

The guard on the OSS isn't as bad as I thought it would be, especially once I deleted the concept of using the guard to "guard" against another Bowie blade in a duel. Sixty-one years on this earth and I've avoided being in a Bowie knife duel. The guard, however, does a great job "guarding" your hand from sliding forward under hard use. The sub-hilt (the little "trigger" style guard) is pretty cool, though it does limit you somewhat if you like flipping the knife into various grip styles.

Regarding the blade, the steel is just fine. It'll cut whatever you want, meat, hide, rope, cloth, whatever. Cold Steel does a pretty good heat treat. The old San Mai was AUS8 sandwiched between layers of AUS6. I've beat the living hell out of my San Mai tanto and it sharpened up just fine. I even used it as a chisel to cut notches in the beams to build our bunker and slashed hundreds of sand bags when we bugged out.

Anywho, the OSS (and, no doubt, the OSI) is a lot lighter and well-balanced than you'd think by looking at it. For a "fighter" I'd say it's a lot better than a sharp stick. I keep mine handy and hidden in my house as a last ditch deterrent (in case the Benelli, Glocks, etc. aren't enough. As a utility knife (which is 90% of a "combat knife" function) you'll be limited as the OSI isn't designed for that function. Not. At. All.

The thing is, none of these knives will break your bank. Buy one, play with it .. if you like it, keep it and use it. If not, sell it to your buddy ... tell him it's too dangerous for you, but it'll get him to Valhalla.

Um, one last thing: If you're in uniform in the US military, look around and see what your unit's tolerance is for blades. Some commanders prohibit fixed blades on your gear; others are less PC and more practical. I feel that discretion is the better part of valor. Your mileage may vary, etc.
    Last edited by Redneck Zen; 12-26-2016 at 08:12 PM.
    Redneck Zen
    "Be careful what you get good at."

seems the leatherneck has a powder coat version coming out https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS3...cure-ex-sheath

compared to the DLC coating https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS3...cure-ex-sheath

ordered them on amazon but didn't get the boar hunter.

he maruader leatherneck and OSI are sitting next to a bunch of other blades in my un heated porch for winter testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heckathorn View Post

More like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damn, that is a nice blade.
    jim
    2 Samuel 22; Psalm 139:21-22

My son learned in USMC to always have a 'loaner' knife, few carried one but everyone needed one. That helps to 'protect' the good' one.

What happened to the OSI?
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Spine wacks taps broke 26 degrees https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/16287...FnL&ref=plSrch