Default USING THE ASYMMETRIC DOT

USING THE ASYMMETRIC DOT

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Time for some heresy.
    For engaging a reactive threat's torso inside of five yards (fifteen feet), you do not need to use the sights at all. In fact, you are better off simply raising the pistol into the line of sight, pointing it at the chest, and pressing until he drops to the ground. We will wait for the collective gasps of the "sights all the time" tribe to subside, and so they can strike my name from the Raven's Book Of Life before we continue.
    Alright, all joking aside, when the problem calls for point shooting, you point shoot and the type of sights on the weapon are irrelevant. But when you do need extra refinement...which happens often enough, the sights are of great importance as they help you refine alignment as well as index carefully on target.
    So lets set down some points:
    The dot does not work WITH the sights. It works independently of the sights.

Think of the iron sights and the red dot like two distinct and separate sighting systems. You do not need one in evidence to use the other. With reference to the dot - as long as the dot is on the desired area of the target you wish to hit, you will in fact hit that target area - regardless of where the dot is in relation to the iron sights.

The parallax-free nature of these red dot sights enables you to make extremely accurate shots without the dot needing to be centered in the glass. The weapon may be offset from your line of sight. You are able to keep your visual focus on the threat/target since the dot and target are in the same focal plane of vision.

This greatly improves your ability to return fire from cover, fire at speed, fire on the move at a moving or stationary target, as well as shooting accurately from disadvantaged positions.

All of these "Red Dot Sight Pictures are acceptable and as long as the dot is on the target spot you wish to hit, you will hit that target spot.

Gabe Suarez

“Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Perfect explanation of the advantages of the red dot.

The illustrations show aligned front/rear iron sights in all views. I think this is not correct.

When my iron sights are perfectly aligned and on target, the dot is right on top of the front sight--co-witnessed.

However, when the dot floats around the red dot screen, the front sight is out of alignment with the rear sight, or even disappears. No problem since as Gabe says the sighting systems are independent and I only want to use the dot, not the iron sights.

Just don't be confused by some of the illustrations. I believe if they showed no front sight at all when the dot is toward the edges of the screen it might be more correct. Still, the dot is where the bullet will go. Forget the irons.
    Police were summoned to a daycare center where a three year old was resisting a rest . . .

Surprising, all things I worked with a specialized team on this was the thing they got the most from and gave them the most confidence in their sighting system.
    Jon Payne
    Ambassador, Suarez Group of Companies
    Suarez International Law Enforcement Instructor

The Two Most Dangerous Places in Today's World:
    1.) A Gun Free Zone
    2.) Your Comfort Zone

Gabe Suarez

“Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I had read this (the dot can be anywhere in the lens as long as it's on the target) but didn't really believe it till I tried it. First trip to the range with the new RMR on the CZ I proved it to myself.

Five shots, one each with the dot in the center, top center, far right, bottom center and far left of the lens. I don't remember the distance. Had to be at least 7 yds. as the range doesn't have a shorter firing position than 7 yds. Put the dot on the target, whether the dot is in the center of the lens or not, and the bullet will be on the target. Haven't tried this yet with the CZ Compact and the DP Pro, but I will if I think of it, when we go to the range to sight it in Wednesday.

sorry about the picture, it's correctly oriented in photobucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Perfect.
    Police were summoned to a daycare center where a three year old was resisting a rest . . .