Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Agree totally Yonderng, the actual full break in regimen with the jb hoppes and wd40 actually scares the hell out of me. Abrasives a precision barrel and a long tedious process ripe for laziness to set in keep me away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone." Erwin Rommel

Yeah, I don't like the idea of running a cleaning rod back and forth through a high quality barrel any more than absolutely necessary.

IMO the traditional break in methods have a place in cheaper/rougher barrels like Marlin, Savage, and frankly Remington too. In a nice Shilen, Benchmark, etc though, no way!

This is my 6.5 Creedmoor

That is 3 shots at 200 yards

Savage finally got back to me. They told me the barrel passed specs, and initially were going to send it back to me after test firing it. Seems it didn't shoot too well for them either. I will be getting a new barrel, only bad thing is they said it may take another 3 weeks. Have some 4350, RL-17, and Hybrid 100 to try out, so I guess I'll just have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Yondering View Post
    Yeah, I don't like the idea of running a cleaning rod back and forth through a high quality barrel any more than absolutely necessary.

IMO the traditional break in methods have a place in cheaper/rougher barrels like Marlin, Savage, and frankly Remington too. In a nice Shilen, Benchmark, etc though, no way!
    So what would you do with a high-end barrel?

Doc
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Just shoot it, and clean as necessary. Use a bore guide and the fewest strokes of a cleaning rod possible.

Just shoot it, and clean as necessary. Use a bore guide and the fewest strokes of a cleaning rod possible.
    Yep. And when is it necessary? When groups start opening up.
    Dave Sauer
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

"The path which leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant." --Musashi

Onward & Upward!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sauer View Post
    Yep. And when is it necessary? When groups start opening up.
    That's the best news I've heard all day. I built several rifles this winter in anticipation of the White Witch's inevitable rise to power and have been dreading breaking the rascals in.

Doc
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

This tale is finally at an end. Savage re-barreled the rifle and it still did not shoot well enough to pass, so they sent me a brand new one last week. The barrel passed my inspection and I have yet to get out to shoot it. They even managed to return my Nightforce base. I guess all's well that ends well. Have some Hornady ELD Match 140's and Sierra Match 140's to try out. Going to shoot for around 2700fps. Will try out RL-15, RL-17, Hybrid100, and 4350 to see just what this rifle prefers.

At least they took care of you. That is good to go.