Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
    Learning how to fall is definitely valuable.
    I did a lot of falling on a skateboard in my youth. Learning how to fall and avoid injury is invaluable. I was wearing 5.11 chukka's at one point. What I don't like about them is the "friendly print" they put on the bottoms of the soles. Basically an advertisement. People who have no idea what 5.11 is might start asking questions when they're left all over your work environment. Stick to Keen, Merrill, etc...
    Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    Well sign me up for an ukemi class. I'm too old for this cannon ball in the parking lot crap.

Doc
    You guys are going to get sick of me because I keep reading threads that are obvious openings to pimp my class.

Ukemi, or what I call "falling without killing yourself" will be a very important piece of the Pistol Ground Fighting class.

Knowing how to fall and minimize damage is HUGELY important. I tell people all the time, you may never get in a real fight but you WILL have a bad fall at some point.

Benjamin - boggles the mind that people would say it's not part of martial arts. I get complaining about it because it's not sexy training, but to not see the value is something else.

I've been teaching Ukemi a long time. It's not always fun to learn, particularly in a Judo class (ask me how I know). But I think how I teach it is simple, practical, and approachable for even the least athletic among us. If one only learned how to fall during my class (and you'll learn a lot more!), I think it's time and money well spent.
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

I took judo for a short period of time and we learned to fall for several classes. Having swivel hips helps. I don't wear any shoes I can't run in. For work I wear laced shoes with rubber soles. Off work I wear Merrill low top hikers in the summer and usually my Justin's with rubber soles in all but inclement weather. Cowboy boots aren't the best to run in but I surely can.

[QUOTE=Brent Yamamoto;1840396]
    Knowing how to fall and minimize damage is HUGELY important. I tell people all the time, you may never get in a real fight but you WILL have a bad fall at some point. [QUOTE]

This.

When you work outside, in snow, ice, rain, mud, whatever; when you're issued boots made for durability and not traction on slick surfaces, you're gonna fall.

Default Fighting Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Yamamoto View Post
    THIS!!

Ok I'm stealing that. I've already used it twice.

Don't worry, I give credit on these kind of things.
    Brent was overheard: "yeah, I got that syphilis from Nichols..."

I also wear cowboy boots a fair amount, which are not ideal. But They are good for stomping on people and I put up with them cuz I like em.
    I imagine Brent wearing three quarters' high cowboy boots, because, well, he's only 75% cowboy.

(Stated safely out of Brent's reach.)
    Last edited by WinstonSmith; 11-29-2016 at 05:33 PM.
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

One of these days brother, one of these days ... ;)
    Brent Yamamoto
    Suarez International Tier 1 Staff Instructor

Ready, willing, able. Bring it.

Mostly I wear lace up Sperry boots at work, other times I am in Mizuno running shoes, or adidas running shoes. I have a pair of danners for real bad times. I also cannot suggest wool socks enough, but also get a good pair of socks liners like the ones by smartwool. Also I prefer trail shoes for the trail , but carry and wear in rainy callouts and winter gore tech socks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Five Minutes before or after the dance starts is not the time to learn how to dance." - unknown

This!^^

One of these days brother, one of these days ... ;)
    Oh man, you know if I could get beat up by you in January, I'd be all over it.

http://www.suarezinternationalstore....nville-wa.aspx
    LIVING > FIRED > JAIL > DEAD

DISCIPLINA EST LIBERTATEM
    KRG, HRO: Team Tactics 1/2, CRG, HRO: CQB/Team Tactics, Defensive Knife, TMCO

T
    WOTU Since 2012

You guys are going to get sick of me because I keep reading threads that are obvious openings to pimp my class.
    Read that and then instantly though how awesome it would be if you were teaching a pimp class. Everyone on the street would know Daddy Yamamoto has a strong pimp hand...
    Geek Warlord
    How do you want to do this?

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition