Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fighting Shoes

My every day shoes are Merrell Moab boots (comfy at good high top sneakers, but way
    tougher and good enough for business casual attire). My version of 'Crocs' are Keen sandals. They're the combat boots of sandals!
    ...Knowing is often a Barrier to Learning...

I used to think the road to hell was paved with flip-flops, looks like I'll have to add Crocs to that list. I wear 5.11 boots most of the time. If i'm not wearing those I have a pair of Nikes I lace up.
    Trevor

I either have my danner boots on or a pair of converse. I used to fight all the time in converse so they passed the test, my danners there should be no question about...

I usually wear Keens or some such which are fine. It just hadn't occurred to me how screwed I could be if I were wearing something stupid when things went down. Lesson learned.

Doc
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc View Post
    I usually wear Keens or some such which are fine. It just hadn't occurred to me how screwed I could be if I were wearing something stupid when things went down. Lesson learned.

Doc
    I put house shoes on after I shower normally when I'm relaxing. That would be my time of weakness.:)

Salomon GTX Trail shoes for casual wear and the gym
    Alternatives are running shoes by adidas, preferably with GTX as well (getting wet feet sucks and diminishes performance quickly)
    Salomon boots for casual wear in the winter. They are light, waterproof and high quality.
    I remember training with them in snow when everything was cold except my feet.
    Rockport for business and work (when required). I bought them at the recommendation of several guys on this board and they are great. The sole is made by adidas and uses adiprene technology, the upper is black leather.
    By the way, Salomon is part of the adidas group as well.
    Any experienced sports apparel salesman can tell you that Adidas shoes hardly ever get returned for quality issues.

I also recommend wool socks.
    Regardless of your income, invest in them. They make a huge difference in comfort and well being.

At home, you may laugh, but I also wear Salomon boots or running shoes.
    I like to keep my home clean so these are pairs which I never wear outside (unless I need to chase a burglar down the road or similar).

This specific issue was probably caused by not wearing actual shoes, so any quality shoes would work.

This can happen even with good shoes, so it is good to learn ukemi.

Years ago I fell hard twice at the same job, or maybe I should say fell with a lot of force but landed softly. People were supposed to inform other employees after they mopped the floor but some dopes did not. Once I had to answer the phone and the other the door. Both times I ran to answer it and slipped and flew into the air, landed on my back, and got up without any injuries, not even any slight pain. My co-workers had their eyes and mouths wide open and asked if I was hurt and were surprised when I casually continued to answer the phone or door. I was wearing New Balance both times. I've seen people on martial arts forum complain about classes starting with ukemi, saying ti has nothing to do with martial arts.
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot

Well sign me up for an ukemi class. I'm too old for this cannon ball in the parking lot crap.

Doc
    Wanna Learn about Medicinal Herbs & Edible Plants?
    HomeGrownHerbalist.net

Learning how to fall is definitely valuable.
    Virtute et Armis

It will be taught in Bujinkan, Judo, Japanese Jujutsu, Aikijujutsu, and Aikido. There will be some in MMA and BJJ but not to the same degree. I learned some in Karate but where I got good at ukemi was in the Bujinkan.
    "Why should I trade one tyrant 3,000 miles away for 3,000 tyrants one mile away. An elected legislature can trample a man's rights as easily as the king can." Benjamin Martin, The Patriot