Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    That's nice

I remember, I got in to ak's from reading your writing on them and looking at pictures of your ak's

Default Do I Miss My AK? Dasvydanya Kalashnikova

Closest I have is my Sig 556R. I'm only holding onto it because it's a good pig gun and it's cheap to shoot when I have "visitors" that I take to the range.

I like Gabes analogy but for me, AKs are like classic cars. They are cool for nostalgia, but there's faster, safer, better modern cars that you drive everyday.

This is a bit old, but a new source of entertainment for me:

https://youtu.be/dgpEuCUm6SE
    Last edited by Paper Shredder; 11-11-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
    The only advantage the AK has nowadays is the availability of cheap ammo. Cheap as in, it goes bang. Match grade accuracy? Not likely. I ran a class last weekend where all but one student ran an AR. Two years ago I would've seen a variety of different rifles. The AR is the choice of the American shooter.

Much as I like my AKs, I'll never buy another one. The ones I have now, along with the ammo I have for them, will suffice.
    While you have a point, outside of DMR type rifles who is running match grade ammo in their AR15's. Most people run Federal American Eagle, surplus, or similar... For most the match grade argument is a moot point.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    While you have a point, outside of DMR type rifles who is running match grade ammo in their AR15's. Most people run Federal American Eagle, surplus, or similar... For most the match grade argument is a moot point.
    Actually it is not. There is training ammo - and the salient point there is not price but reliable accuracy as well as price, and there is meat ammo. The ammo one carries in the field, or relies on for self defense is exactly that MATCH GRADE AMMO. Only a blithering Dewey Crowe fool would put Tula ammo in a self defense weapon...for example. I was shooting my M4 SBR in class recently with Federal M193...but when I was done, I put the magazine filled with Hornady 75 grain match in the maagazine well.

Training ammo for the 5.56x45 (and 300 BO for that matter) is across the board much more accurate and clean and reliable than the training counterparts for the 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. And as far as variety? You would have to do some research to locate all the different AMERICAN MADE ammo loads for 5.56x45 and 300 BO. Not going to find that with 7.62x39. The market for that sort of ammo for the AK simply does not exist.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Default Do I Miss My AK? Dasvydanya Kalashnikova

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Actually it is not. There is training ammo - and the salient point there is not price but reliable accuracy as well as price, and there is meat ammo. The ammo one carries in the field, or relies on for self defense is exactly that MATCH GRADE AMMO. Only a blithering Dewey Crowe fool would put Tula ammo in a self defense weapon...for example. I was shooting my M4 SBR in class recently with Federal M193...but when I was done, I put the magazine filled with Hornady 75 grain match in the maagazine well.

Training ammo for the 5.56x45 (and 300 BO for that matter) is across the board much more accurate and clean and reliable than the training counterparts for the 7.62x39 or 5.45x39. And as far as variety? You would have to do some research to locate all the different AMERICAN MADE ammo loads for 5.56x45 and 300 BO. Not going to find that with 7.62x39. The market for that sort of ammo for the AK simply does not exist.
    Gabe,

Do you think just globally outside the US, the notion of recreational shooting or self defense as a whole is not as ubiquitous so the demand isn't there for Tula / Wolf etc to invest in 7.62x39 development?

It seems as with most military arms, the "military" application drives the volume with the consumer market as an ancillary outlet, so with 7.62x39, whatever garbage the savages in the sand shooting each other, or war lords in Africa, or Drugs in LATAM... they drive the product, which is as cheap as possible.

My hunch is that hunting and defense is more "mainstream" as a business in the US, so there's more players in the market to drive development because consumers are looking for it. Since 7.62x39 is not the popular platform, 5.56 / .223 / 308 gets more love in the variety of offerings.
    Last edited by Paper Shredder; 11-12-2016 at 06:21 PM.

My standard AKM round is supplied from a short pallet of Lapua 123 gr. FMJ.

When I get around to owning a SR-556 Takedown with a buddy 300 BO barrel I'll stick with Lapua for 5.56 ammo, and likely Corbon for the BO.
    anonymity is underrated

Unfair. Unbalanced. Unmedicated.

Newton's Third Law is a motherfucker.

Meh. Some AKs are better than others, just like some ARs are better than others. I love quality AKs as much as I love quality ARs, or for that matter, as much as I love anything else of quality. A single AK is as representative of all AKs as much as a single AR is representative of all ARs. Which is to say: not at all!

And as far as ammo goes, Golden Tiger 7.62x39 is as good (and often better) than any brass cased 5.56/.223 training ammo I've used, such American Eagle/Lake City/PMC/PPU, etc. Match grade, on the other hand, is match grade.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." Martin Luther

Came to this thread late, as usual (shift work sucks). I have three AKs that I love to shoot but none are my go to. I have six AR15s that I train with and all are my go to. The AR15 is what use for duty, so it only makes sense.

Maybe...but it is driven by money, The Finns for example make their duty ammo ... a 7.62x39 ...that is so much more accurate than anything else here in the USA as to almost make it a different caliber. Coupled with their Saks or Valmet rifles amazing things are possible.

But a Sako with Lapa ammo in the USA would never sell due to the cost. The Finns want quality...every other user of 7.62 seems to want low cost...including in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Shredder View Post
    Gabe,

Do you think just globally outside the US, the notion of recreational shooting or self defense as a whole is not as ubiquitous so the demand isn't there for Tula / Wolf etc to invest in 7.62x39 development?

It seems as with most military arms, the "military" application drives the volume with the consumer market as an ancillary outlet, so with 7.62x39, whatever garbage the savages in the sand shooting each other, or war lords in Africa, or Drugs in LATAM... they drive the product, which is as cheap as possible.

My hunch is that hunting and defense is more "mainstream" as a business in the US, so there's more players in the market to drive development because consumers are looking for it. Since 7.62x39 is not the popular platform, 5.56 / .223 / 308 gets more love in the variety of offerings.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters