Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I don't so much miss my AK but rather fondly remember when I started out shooting it and needed better equipment.
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOblivion View Post
    Edelweiss was tying his shoes the other day and it turned into an SMG thread.
    Of course! Hahahahaha

My $.02:

My one and only personally owned AK was a Valmet in 5.56, wood buttstock and all. It was far more accurate than I am, and once gave me a 3 shot cloverleaf at 100 yards off the bench. I was able to modify 5.56 x 39 mags to function reliably. And it had those flip up/over night sights.
    I never added a Krebs safety, when those became available, or looked seriously for a folder, because it was heavier than necessary and unwieldy compared to any practical AR.

I agree with you my Saiga 762 39 is and will always be my go to , nothing like the sound of an ak or the sound of ringing steel with it . IMG_0684.jpg

Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

The only advantage the AK has nowadays is the availability of cheap ammo. Cheap as in, it goes bang. Match grade accuracy? Not likely. I ran a class last weekend where all but one student ran an AR. Two years ago I would've seen a variety of different rifles. The AR is the choice of the American shooter.

Much as I like my AKs, I'll never buy another one. The ones I have now, along with the ammo I have for them, will suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    Any details for that ultra short collapsing buttstock on that SBR AR in 300.

I am still most reluctant to go the NFA route. Too much paper work. I live near state lines that I may want to cross.
    Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?

Yes, unless the registered possessor is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms. This requirement does not apply to the lawful interstate transportation of silencers. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4); 27 CFR 478.28] https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does...otgun-or-short

One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by callmebubba View Post
    There's plenty of reasons to not want NFA stuff (not wanting to is plenty) but the paperwork is very simple.
    There is a wait on just about everything relating to ATF paperwork. The gun is registered with the federal government. The one advantage I see is that some local cop can not just arbitrarily decide to seize it. Anything happens like being stolen to an NFA weapon and the ATF wants to know what happened to it. I am guessing there is a better chance of it being recovered and returned to the owner.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Miss the .308 m76 Valmet factor folders! M76 .223 Valmet shot like a Lazer beam and the fancy walnut stock was killer. Vepr was almost the ultimate universal rifle but..well all AK's are gone. SIG556 platform still holds a lot attraction but let's face it, Gabe has once again been vindicated by passing of time, AR platform is the best place to invest your fighting rifle funds. If you have extra $$$ and want to collect rifles, knock yourself out, I sure did for many years and had a lot of fun. Funny, I don't name rifles anymore, those Finnish and Slovakian Ladies are all memories.

I will be keeping my AKs. They may no longer be my go-to guns, but I still love the way they look and feel and function.

I also have an AR -- just because I think I have an obligation to be familiar and capable with it. I don't like it though and will never like it. Despite it technically being very capable, it is just uninteresting. Boring. Joyless.

I will probably eventually migrate to something in 5.56 that uses AR mags, but it will never be a standard AR. Just something deeply unsatisfying about them (for me).
    Witty signature on backorder.