Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike OTDP View Post
    The irony is that I bought an AK based largely on the information here, a Krebs AK-74. Then Maryland went nuts, and I wound up with two more -74s. Plus about 7k rounds of 7n6. And a Steyr AUG. Depending on the election, I may wind up selling one of the AKs.

The big advantages of the AR are the support and accessories.
    It's not like that armory won't do the job. I wouldn't be in a hurry to unload that and resupply. But if the political winds shift in such a way that you can profit on your past purchases and simultaneously re-equip in a manner that is better suited to your current needs, then that is a win-win.

Market support for the AR and Glock is a big part of what makes them what they are. I have tried to explain this to many people, and they just never seem to get it. So they buy an HK or a Walther and then want to know, "Where can I get one of those [cool aftermarket accessories]?" To which I reply, "Sie konnen nicht, dummkopf."
    Virtute et Armis

I think so few Americans understand the concept of business. They think some idea is cool and so somebody should make it. Something is cool if you can profit from it. I am in no hurry to make sights for the HK VP70, or a mag well for the Steyr Pistol...as some examples. And everyone that wants to be contrary begins to use the "It's perfect out of the box"....or "You don't need those things"...until they realize that it's not perfect...just adequate...and if you want to excell you will want the best gear to support that. Then the realization that no...you can't get 5yat because nobody makes it.

Oh well.

It's not skill and no focus on gear anymore than the reverse...it is gear and skill in accord with the notion of having gear that is better than your CURRENT level of skill.

I got much better at rifle skills and marksmanship when I no longer had to fight my equipment...as one example.

Some people like to constantly fight their equipment...while signing Russian anthem and chain smoking ... but that is not me.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

I still have an AK, but it's just part of my milsurp collection now. It still sports wood furniture, because I think it looks nicer. The only modification I made to it was a windage adjustable RPK rear right.

But, I realized I shoot better than an AK shoots. I run an AR with more efficiency, and faster than an AK, I have 13 years of familiarity and muscle memory built in from the Army....and I'm heavily invested in the platform for the same reason.

Relegating my AK to "just for fun" was a no-brainer for me.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    I think so few Americans understand the concept of business. They think some idea is cool and so somebody should make it. Something is cool if you can profit from it. I am in no hurry to make sights for the HK VP70, or a mag well for the Steyr Pistol...as some examples. And everyone that wants to be contrary begins to use the "It's perfect out of the box"....or "You don't need those things"...until they realize that it's not perfect...just adequate...and if you want to excell you will want the best gear to support that. Then the realization that no...you can't get 5yat because nobody makes it.

Oh well.

It's not skill and no focus on gear anymore than the reverse...it is gear and skill in accord with the notion of having gear that is better than your CURRENT level of skill.

I got much better at rifle skills and marksmanship when I no longer had to fight my equipment...as one example.

Some people like to constantly fight their equipment...while signing Russian anthem and chain smoking ... but that is not me.
    Capitalist PIG! How dare you try to make a profit? You should teach, innovate, and offer, all because we deserve it! I got a participation trophy once, and that is my stance!

That is the gun community right there...all the while pledging allegiance and saying they hate communism. Amazing isn't it?
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Suarez View Post
    ... "You don't need those things"...until they realize that it's not perfect...just adequate...and if you want to excell you will want the best gear to support that. Then the realization that no...you can't get 5yat because nobody makes it.

Bingo. That is why my Mini 14(The American AK) is gone. It worked but it was never going to be top notch. My cheap AR is twice the rifle it was and I can get parts for it.
    God, Guns and Guts made America free. Lets keep all three.
    Proud GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Quote Originally Posted by H60DoorGunner View Post
    I still have an AK, but it's just part of my milsurp collection now. It still sports wood furniture, because I think it looks nicer. The only modification I made to it was a windage adjustable RPK rear right.

But, I realized I shoot better than an AK shoots. I run an AR with more efficiency, and faster than an AK, I have 13 years of familiarity and muscle memory built in from the Army....and I'm heavily invested in the platform for the same reason.

Relegating my AK to "just for fun" was a no-brainer for me.
    I have muscle memory for the AK and experience with the AK.
    For close range fighting the relative inaccuracy of the AK is not an issue for me. For repeat shots the AR with the lighter recoiling 5.56 round, much lighter bolt and no heavy and also over gassed op rod has a much more manageable recoil. For full auto the AR design is better in theory, but us lowly civilians can not have FA in the US at the moment. For me, fast handling is measured when carrying the gun and without warning a target presents itself and the time it takes to raise the gun to fire an accurate shot. I rate fast handling the same way I would a hunting rifle or shotgun. Others things would be what be kind of brush catcher it is and how easy it is to carry in patrolling positions. The heavier wt of the AK is a minus on long patrols. How well does it handle in a vehicle. The AK with a folding stock is good for that. One has to cut barrel length on the AR and then do the paper work. ARs have after market target grade triggers available for them, but for close range work the TAPCO is good, but a long from being optimum. I did have to replace one tapco trigger with another that was too light for me. When I replaced the politically correct thumbhole stock with a shorter Romanian folder I started to get doubling. A former SI instructor with much shorter arms and very heavy torso did not get doubling when he fired it. I was inadvertently bump firing it when shooting off the shoulder. Put a different tapco trigger on it and that stopped. But the AR can have a much better trigger that even for close range work makes a bigger difference in how fast one can accurately fire a weapon in my experience.
    Other then fast follow up shots in my opinion for 50 yard work the AK does the job when the ranges are close. Head shots at 200 yards is where an AR with a decent barrel is way better.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Well, I'm not selling my 556R (or my 522 set up with the same optics/sling). But the 556R is no longer my road trip rifle. An AR15 has replaced the 556R. Took two of them with me this week. The new 18" barreled .223 and the just over one year old 10.5" AR15 pistol in .223. And didn't shoot either one.

Do we miss the PTR 91??

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
    How did you shit heads turn a AK/AR thread into an SMG thread?
    Edelweiss was tying his shoes the other day and it turned into an SMG thread.