Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    I screw down finger tight with an extra little bit, let the thread locker do the work, its there to reduce the stress on the screw not just to keep it in place.
    Thanks for the tip! I've never overtightened my screws (but admittedly have over-loctited them once), but have been tightening them tighter than how you describe.
    Suarez International Staff Instructor, Iowa

"EVERY MAN IS A COUNTER TERRORIST." --Gabe Suarez
    "It's not the will to win that matters--everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." --Paul "Bear" Bryant
    "Love of theory is the root of all evil." --William M. Briggs

Formerly "ericmt"

some never learn
    20180726_141452.jpg

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

Wow....
    Geek Warlord
    Dungeons & Dragons & Deadlifts

Muscle Wizard Casts: Fist

CRG-1 DPS
    CRG-2 CRG x 2
    SGF-1 Shotgun Gunfighting
    Trauma care under fire
    Spetsnaz Sniper
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction
    HRO-6 CQB: Fighting in Structures
    CRG-4 Force on Force
    HRO-5 Terrorist & Active Shooter Interdiction - 3 day
    TWOTU edition
    Trauma Medicine for the CCW Operator
    Pistol Ground Fighting (Taint Shooting Progressions)

TWOTU since May 2015

I am not going to hobble to the basement to look for the proper name. I have a Wheeler "Fat Boy" i think it is called. It is a torque driver for mounting optics. I think mine is set at 12 inch pounds for scope rings and such. I am not sure how many battery changes that I have done on the Red Dot. I got a set of replacement screws more on principle than need. I use Loctite blue. I put a dab on the bench and just touch the few bottom screw threads to it. Seems to work well for me.

Choirboy

ETA: I have used the cheapo Allen wrenches that come with optics. I have buggered up screw heads that way. I keep a box of gunsmith assortment screws; it has come in handy from time-to-time.
    Last edited by choirboy; 07-26-2018 at 08:01 PM.

I hope this becomes a sticky and this is sort of theads that I most value. As I get older optics are almost becoming mandatory and knowing how to properly secure them is essential.

Thanks much ShopMonkey.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Just as an experiment, I've been shooting and dry firing my original RMRed V3 slide for months now with absolutely NO threadlocker of any kind on the RMR screws, and they have not backed out at all; it's held zero this entire time. I wouldn't recommend that as a standard practice, but it is a good frame of reference for how little locktight you actually need.

If they'll stay in place and hold zero with nothing, one miniscule drop on the bottom few threads should be all you'll need to ensure an absolute rock solid mount.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by MesserMan View Post
    Just as an experiment, I've been shooting and dry firing my original RMRed V3 slide for months now with absolutely NO threadlocker of any kind on the RMR screws, and they have not backed out at all; it's held zero this entire time. I wouldn't recommend that as a standard practice, but it is a good frame of reference for how little locktight you actually need.

If they'll stay in place and hold zero with nothing, one miniscule drop on the bottom few threads should be all you'll need to ensure an absolute rock solid mount.
    you sure you got it all out of the threads in the slide?

Do NOT call me an armorer
    Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
    Now I am become Death, the destroyer of all worlds
    People have asked me if I consider myself a good or bad person. The truth of it is, I don't know or care. I have been called both. I like to think I have saved more lives than I have ended. Either way, I can still sleep at night.
    SEMPER FI

I don’t even know how you got the others out? Easy out? Damn...

Quote Originally Posted by ShopMonkey View Post
    you sure you got it all out of the threads in the slide?
    Honestly I'm not sure about that. I didn't do anything particular to clean it up after the last battery change; just ran the new screws in and out a couple times to make sure there the threads weren't excessively gunky.

I normally use Vibratite VC3 threadlocker after having it recommended by a gunsmith who deals with a lot of stuck screws.
    - "When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- We are what we do. You know who someone IS by what they DO. To do is to be...not the other way around.