Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AK Purchasing

FWIW, stay away from any AK that is made here in the US, especially those imported or manufactured by Century Arms or Inter Ordnance (IO Inc). Also stay away from the Zhukov stock, or any other polymer folding stocks. The Zhukov handguard is GTG.

If you must have a folding stock, get the one from CNC Warrior or Bonesteel Arms, they are rock solid. And are based on the Galil's folding mechanism.
    "If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine

"That upon which you set your heart and put your trust is your god." Martin Luther

If I only had one ak it would ba an arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    Yes. I've been putting a lot of rounds through a VEPR recently. It's a nice AK. Still prefer the Arsenals.

Quote Originally Posted by chad newton View Post
    I bought my first and ONLY AK a few years back, it is an Arsenal SGL 21-61 and I have no regrets.
    2 Timothy Chapter 4 : 2-4
    2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
    3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

I have an Eastern European wire folding stock and a Magpul Zhukov stock....both are pretty dang solid. You may be able to break more faces with the wire folder (its basically made of steel pipe), but the Magpul stock is lighter, more comfortable, adjusts length, looks better IMO, and has options for cheek weld changes. Magpul was the best thing to happen to the AK platform in 5 years...try it out.
    You shouldn't be thinking 'oh God, I'm in a gunfight', you should be saying 'THANK GOD I'M IN A GUNFIGHT!' " - Gabe Suarez

"The man becomes the weapon, everything else is a tool" -Sonny P

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Island View Post
    I bought my first and ONLY AK a few years back, it is an Arsenal SGL 21-61 and I have no regrets.
    I prefer them over anything else, but all of my training has been with an ak.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCadet84 View Post
    I have an Eastern European wire folding stock and a Magpul Zhukov stock....both are pretty dang solid. You may be able to break more faces with the wire folder (its basically made of steel pipe), but the Magpul stock is lighter, more comfortable, adjusts length, looks better IMO, and has options for cheek weld changes. Magpul was the best thing to happen to the AK platform in 5 years...try it out.
    i agree the Zhukov stock is more comfortable and provides a better cheek weld than a wire folder, but that doesn't diminish its shortcomings. Personally I have yet to find anything that beats the Vltor adapter and an AR15 stock. But that's just me and I've never felt the need for a folding stock.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter76 View Post
    i agree the Zhukov stock is more comfortable and provides a better cheek weld than a wire folder, but that doesn't diminish its shortcomings. Personally I have yet to find anything that beats the Vltor adapter and an AR15 stock. But that's just me and I've never felt the need for a folding stock.
    I don't really see what disadvantages the Zhukov has that an adapted AR stock doesn't. If you're worried about angle, that's more personal preference. But an adapted AR stock isn't more durable. I think the Zhokov's shape is superior for the type of shoulder mount AKs were built for
    You shouldn't be thinking 'oh God, I'm in a gunfight', you should be saying 'THANK GOD I'M IN A GUNFIGHT!' " - Gabe Suarez

"The man becomes the weapon, everything else is a tool" -Sonny P

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaCadet84 View Post
    I don't really see what disadvantages the Zhukov has that an adapted AR stock doesn't. If you're worried about angle, that's more personal preference. But an adapted AR stock isn't more durable. I think the Zhokov's shape is superior for the type of shoulder mount AKs were built for
    In cold weather the Zhukov stock has been known the break at the hinges. I don't know how common it is but it's not uncommon. MAC even has video of it. Not a problem the Vltor has a history of...

"If you find yourself in a fair fight you failed to properly prepare..."

"History is the autobiography of a madman..."

Because of Gabe I built my AK. I still had longings for my m-14 at the time... but I loved my AK, and i loved that someone was preaching my language.

I did not understand why Gabe switched and at the time looked at my issued AR as an AK that shot little bullets. I learned that "I" was the problem. It did not have to be a M1A for me to enjoy shooting it with irons, and reaching it out over the long yards. Dots and glass ALL have their place, I just have to understand what they are. I REALLY stated working with the AR, cause I wanted to understand. I got it eventually, and I get it now.

Me with my AR kills me with my AK 99.9% of the time. It is shooting quarters at 100yards and heads at 300, instead of holding high and hoping for a chest shot. It's rolling up the mag and ringing steel at 600+ while my AK is just making noise.

It like loving the thrust to weight ratio of the F4 Phantom and knowing it was a fine dogfighter for it's day, but knowing that F4 would never see or hear the F-14 Tomcat that smoked it from over the horizon. Or that same Tomcat and Raptor of today.

My AK has an Ultimak rail and a red dot, "it will kill" and do a good job at it, but you don't frame with a finishing hammer. It will always have a place, but it is second tier gear.

Shoot what you like, train with what you have, but don't be closed minded.

As Musashi says "You should not have a favorite weapon, or any other exaggerated preference for that matter. To become overly attached to one weapon is as bad as not knowing it sufficiently well."

In short be open minded.. life likes to changes the rules without notice.
    Last edited by m48shooter; 07-10-2017 at 02:50 PM.