Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK Purchasing

Default AK Purchasing

In your opinion is it worth it to pay more for an AK to get Zhukov furniture with the rifle or would you rather spend a little less to be able to choose your furniture and have it come with standard ak polymer. I'm not totally sold on the Zhukov furniture yet.

If by "AK", you meant AR, and by "Zhukov" you meant key mod free float tube...then yes, it's worth the money.
    Isaiah 54:17

Deus dea traballo, dixo o enterrador.

Theres nothing wrong with a AK. They have been killing folks for 70 years with wood, polymer and shovel handles for stocks. YES there are better guns and even better than "factory" furniture. FIRST get the gun, then get ammo and gear. Then get TRAINING. Having a Porsche doesn't make you ready to race. Sure buy the best you can BUT also buy the best TRAINING too.

Start with the rifle. You can always add Zhukov later or not. Its the training that matters.

Gabe can get you to push the limits of whatever rifle and furniture you buy.

I was just kidding. I like AK's, but the next one I buy will have nice wood furniture on it. I prefer the classic look myself.

Not sure I would buy another AK say for example if all of my AK were to disappear say tomorrow and I needed a carbine size assault rifle. I would take a long look at some of the other guns on the market, but in the same chambering and preferably using the same magazines.
    Nothing wrong with the AK for use as a close range rifle which is my use for them.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    Not sure I would buy another AK say for example if all of my AK were to disappear say tomorrow and I needed a carbine size assault rifle. I would take a long look at some of the other guns on the market, but in the same chambering and preferably using the same magazines.
    Nothing wrong with the AK for use as a close range rifle which is my use for them.
    Keeping that in mind, a Galil with a folding para stock would be nifty...

I was an AK guy. In fact, I will say that I lead the AK movement in the USA before anyone else even considered it. Can't rewrite history kids and that is a fact of history. But today, the only salient point tying the AK world together is getting the cheapest rifle that will at least hit at 50 yards with the cheapest ammo. I stepped away from that market and platform in 2011 and it was by far one of the wisest moves I have made in this profession.

For the price of a marginal AK and the necessary items to make it adequate to our standards, you can buy a far more accurate and just as reliable M4 for whom magazines and ammo and upgrades will exceed anything you could possibly buy for an AK.

As far as killing, more people have been killed by tomahawks too...but we are not about to choose one of those for that reason. Anything can kill...even a bus. But what we want is to kill surgically and artfully at any reasonable distance we want to.

My recommendation, forget the AK.
    Gabriel Suarez

Turning Lambs into Lions Since 1995

Suarez International USA Headquarters

When I got my AKs 200-300 dollars would buy you a mak90 or a maadi which were not premium guns but were made to military specs and were not messed up by the monkeys at century. If I wanted a good AK I would likely buy a used Mak90 and send it to fuller or a couple of smiths that have posted in the past here and if I wanted it decently accurate get a custom barrel on it, but by the time you have done that a look other platforms should certainly be done.

The 5.56 does not do it for me. For longer ranges I want .308 of 1 in 10" twist rate with good hard bullets and that means G3 for me with decent glass on it. Longer ranges for shooting up vehicles works better with a full .30 cal from what I understand. I may not be able to spot a man at 500 yards, but I shore can see a pickup truck at that range.

I am invested in the AK with a lot of spare parts and I understand it. It is just the easy button for me and I live in a hilly forested area that has mainly shorter ranges. I am not planning to buy any new guns, but will concentrate on better optics to improve what I have and devote my time to training.
    One who hammers his gun into a plow plows for those who do not....Unknown
    ...at the end of the day its not about anything else but YOU AND YOURS..... Gabe Suarez
    ....WANT not NEED is what America is all about. ..... Gabe Suarez
    Its not about how fast you can load, but about how well you can shoot ..... Someone being saved by a speed load is not something that has happened with any regularity. Gabe Suarez

Quote Originally Posted by Maorri View Post
    I'm not totally sold on the Zhukov furniture yet.
    For what Its worth, I think you answered your own question.

I have the zhukov forend on mine, because my ak is a saiga I converted, so there is nothing to attach the MOE forend to. Used the MOE stock. I love them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kelveren; 10-11-2016 at 06:24 PM.
    One God, Yahweh.

"The integrity of the upright shall guide them: but the perverseness of transgressors shall destroy them." - Proverbs 11:3

“There comes a time when a moral man can’t obey a law which his conscience tells him is unjust.” – Martin Luther King

"The SIG XI Russian and PMAG 30 AK/AKM MOEs go together like baseball bats and baby seals'...-Gabe Suarez

"One man ...with God....makes a majority" -Gregg Jackson